XPO | How long is your day , typically?

Of course, if you don't like working the dock, kind of like if you want to work at a union shop, feel free to apply elsewhere!
Everyone has their own personal reasons for wanting to work the dock or not. To each their own. And yep, leaving is always an option, that's why there are several barns with drivers shortages. Your terminal requires dock work in order for you guys to make a good living.......other terminals don't want or need the dock work to get at least 50 hours.
You have to realize that every barn is not like yours.

Hey I like your post. I've said this a couple times, if you don't want to work the dock then why did you apply to Conway? Every single DSR that gets hired here knows the deal, you're going to pound the dock and work your freight.
Could they have been lied to or mislead during the interview process? I know of guys that were told they were going to work line haul, and then got put in the city instead. And vise-versa.

And I see the same crap every day. Guys work the dock too long and complain. Or they don't work the dock enough and complain.
Everyone has their own desires. And don't forget......complaining comes as standard operating procedure in the trucking industry. :biglaugh:

I see guys complain and complain but would never leave. Even guys here... some guys have time to post 10x a day on TB.com but never checked out indeed.com. We get it, you hate your job and don't want to work the dock. How about you go do something about it instead of complaining to everyone.
I don't see people complaining about working the dock as "hating" their job, it's more like not completely content with their job.(if they don't like the dock work)
Be careful encouraging people to quit and move on, since if they do.....the problem only gets worse.

Could they have been lied to or mislead during the interview process? I know of guys that were told they were going to work line haul, and then got put in the city instead. And vise-versa.

I've heard people claim that they were lied to in the interview, but it doesn't make sense- there's no benefit in doing that. I find it hard to believe that a TM or PS would tell a new employee something that will be proven false on their first day.

What I CAN believe is that drivers are told during the interview process that they will be in LH now, or that dock work is minimal now, but that things can change and being on the bottom of the board means after the next bid you might be in the city getting half your hours on the dock.

People hear what they want to hear- my guess is that they stop listening after "you're getting what you want" and before "but it's not permanent or guaranteed".

I've heard people claim that they were lied to in the interview, but it doesn't make sense- there's no benefit in doing that. I find it hard to believe that a TM or PS would tell a new employee something that will be proven false on their first day.
I know of several examples where you can call it "lied to" or "mislead", however you want to look at it. Not just one example........I know of several.
In most cases, the driver just accepted the major change, but I've heard several grumbling about it.

We are different than our competition in that we only have one seniority list which we bid off of every year. I have been on linehaul for several years now but I can go back to city next year and take all of my seniority with me and vice versa, go from city to the line board and bump others down and some off of that board and back into the city. Nothing stays the same at our place from year to year and it can be hard for a driver with little to no seniority to have a consistent bid. A new driver can hire on and run linehaul but there are no guarantees that he will keep doing that the next year.

What I CAN believe is that drivers are told during the interview process that they will be in LH now, or that dock work is minimal now, but that things can change and being on the bottom of the board means after the next bid you might be in the city getting half your hours on the dock.

People hear what they want to hear- my guess is that they stop listening after "you're getting what you want" and before "but it's not permanent or guaranteed".
Exactly. All the new hires that quit with us never actually thought they would actually have to do it.

From what I hear, the worse this gets, the more drivers will be looking to leave.

How true NF. I've recently got wind of some grumbling of several bottom feeder dsr that recently CDL licensed after completed a locally held driving school at my barn.They were forced onto L/H, and are now looking earnestly to bail out and find a "DREAM" cdl job. Why? cause they've had their eyes open wide to what XPO/Conway's work expectations are upon them. And it ain't to their liking.

How true NF. I've recently got wind of some grumbling of several bottom feeder dsr that recently CDL licensed after completed a locally held driving school at my barn.They were forced onto L/H, and are now looking earnestly to bail out and find a "DREAM" cdl job. Why? cause they've had their eyes open wide to what XPO/Conway's work expectations are upon them. And it ain't to their liking.

No such thing.

We
Everyone has their own personal reasons for wanting to work the dock or not. To each their own. And yep, leaving is always an option, that's why there are several barns with drivers shortages. Your terminal requires dock work in order for you guys to make a good living.......other terminals don't want or need the dock work to get at least 50 hours.
You have to realize that every barn is not like yours.
I agree, to each their own. We do have city drivers who get 40 hours/wk and are fine with that. Some get 50 hours all on the street with no dock time and are also fine. We also have l/h drivers who would be happy to drive 300 miles a night and turn when they get to the fac! Like you (and I) said, whatever floats your boat. I think the problem comes in when people are forced to do whatever, work the dock, be on the flex, do the via's etc. but I don't know of any job where everything is perfect.

8 hours. Could work alot more. But I don't want to get used to the money. Then your stuck depending on overtime. We get overtime after eight hours. Everyday. Of course you know where. Some work the Ot to make up for what we lost. Well. Most do.
LTL is a whole different world. Either you do it or you don't. The grass is not greener anywhere. It's all the same. Weeds here and there. It pays the bills at 40 hours and that's good enough for me.
They send drivers home at 60 because they are out of hours. Whether the driver works dock or not. We have inbound and outbound shifts. Drivers rarely work dock. Except to fix up and stage their trailers. And then they go.

Since I have spent most of my 12 plus years here(yes, I know that's not long) running linehaul, dock work is part of the job. If it wasn't, I wouldn't be running enough miles to support my family. Our longest run is 163 miles one way. I understand some drive tons of miles and don't want or have time to work the dock at the fac, but for me and everyone at my barn, we need to work the dock..
Our dock workers are pretty steady here. A few come and go, but we've got a pretty good crew for the most part. We do have some 10:00am peddle drivers and some flex drivers work the o/b, but a little (10hrs/wk) OT is fine with them. Like VP said, make it while you can. You never know what changes are coming. Of course, if you don't like working the dock, kind of like if you want to work at a union shop, feel free to apply elsewhere!
Don't get me wrong Fly, if BJ doesn't keep up with other ltl's in pay and bennies, we all know what'll happen.

I was pointing out why XPO has a hard time finding drivers. I started in LTL back when they only hired driver there was no such thing as a dockworker. The companies back then would only look at you job app only if you had 5yrs exp. So working the dock was no surprise we had dock bids. The problem now a days is there isn't a stack of apps in the TM office or driver waiting outside to take your job. I pointing out why newer driver don't want to come here and work and the amount of dock is a big factor even on the LH end. I don't mind working the dock but when good dockworkers get laid off, hell lets call it for what it is Con-way/XPO FIRED, and hire part time and now we as driver have to pick up the slack it gets old very quick.[/QUOTE]

Hey I like your post. I've said this a couple times, if you don't want to work the dock then why did you apply to Conway? Every single DSR that gets hired here knows the deal, you're going to pound the dock and work your freight

I was pointing out why driver don't want to come here and work. Do I bitch when I have to work the dock yes some days I sure we all have. I knew the deal when I came here the only thing I was lied about was the whole bid thing that I could be forced out on LH or vise versa.

I can tell you for a fact I have been lied to. I found from the another driver 2 week into working here that during the bids I could be forced to switch. We had 2 driver quit a few years ago because there would work city one week and line the next and then forced to work Sat. and Sun and yet they scratch there heads and wander why driver quit or they can't hire any. For some driver money not everything for some quality of life and time with the family is more important the money.

8 hours. Could work alot more. But I don't want to get used to the money. Then your stuck depending on overtime. We get overtime after eight hours. Everyday. Of course you know where. Some work the Ot to make up for what we lost. Well. Most do.
LTL is a whole different world. Either you do it or you don't. The grass is not greener anywhere. It's all the same. Weeds here and there. It pays the bills at 40 hours and that's good enough for me.
They send drivers home at 60 because they are out of hours. Whether the driver works dock or not. We have inbound and outbound shifts. Drivers rarely work dock. Except to fix up and stage their trailers. And then they go.
True the grass isn't always greener over there, but the pay and benefits might be

I'm sure they were told that if the leave before a certain time they will have to pay back the CDL school the company provided. The truth is THAT'S ONE BIG FAT LIE. It is illegal that is the chance the company takes when they provide these classes.

I was pointing out why XPO has a hard time finding drivers. I started in LTL back when they only hired driver there was no such thing as a dockworker. The companies back then would only look at you job app only if you had 5yrs exp. So working the dock was no surprise we had dock bids. The problem now a days is there isn't a stack of apps in the TM office or driver waiting outside to take your job. I pointing out why newer driver don't want to come here and work and the amount of dock is a big factor even on the LH end. I don't mind working the dock but when good dockworkers get laid off, hell lets call it for what it is Con-way/XPO FIRED, and hire part time and now we as driver have to pick up the slack it gets old very quick.
[/QUOTE]
I hear that dock work isn't for everyone. I took a job delivering lumber and mulch before applying at con way. I was told I would not drive much when hired so drove flatbed to get my feet wet driving. Lots of drivers want to just drive and that's fine. The nature of this industry keeps things changing all the time. I don't like the flex thing city part of the week, l/h part. I never had to deal with that.

True the grass isn't always greener over there, but the pay and benefits might be
Pay isn't. Benefits won't last. They are coming after those. They haven't said yet. But common sense comes into play. But. I must say the more they take the less they get.
No one else will work for much less. You can take it all but you still have to find people to work for you and have something besides a paycheck.
That's not working very well now. Take more away. I won't be around much longer.
The future is in the young men and women. If you don't stand now. Or soon. It will only get worse. Sorry. But it's true.