XPO | How long is your day , typically?

With cut times at the FAC’s, most senior linehaul drivers are seeing less hours. It does not affect me much, I’m often last.
Question:
We in the southern region have been told that if they ever implemented ot after 8 down here that hours would be trimmed down to 8 per day like y'all's. How many northern/western p and d guys only get 8 per day out there?

Question:
We in the southern region have been told that if they ever implemented ot after 8 down here that hours would be trimmed down to 8 per day like y'all's. How many northern/western p and d guys only get 8 per day out there?
What's an 8 hr day? The average at my barn is 10+ per day. You want an 8 hr day you better take PTO. Now with summer coming I sure that number will go to 12+.
An 8 hr day at most NE barn is only a dream

What's an 8 hr day? The average at my barn is 10+ per day. You want an 8 hr day you better take PTO. Now with summer coming I sure that number will go to 12+.
An 8 hr day at most NE barn is only a dream
We are told y'all's hours are managed tightly. Who'd thought they were lying.

We are told y'all's hours are managed tightly. Who'd thought they were lying.
Some city drivers do work 8 hours. Depends on the start time and length of run. It is rare. Our bottom two flex drivers have been coming in at 07:00 and working 12 plus. Managing ot has always depended on fright volume and staffing levels. At my place, it’s not so much that we are busy, more that we are short handed, or a little of both.

Short term disability pay was changed recently to 60% of the base pay. I hope you are back to work.

With the difficulty hiring drivers , and with a lot of locations being busy when it is traditionally slow , I thought I would bump this thread up.

When there is a 10 hour day , I feel like I worked half a day. So used to working twelves.

10 hours is getting out early. Sure the hell is. But don't tell the southern boys. According to their management our OT is watched like a hawk. I wish !

Some city drivers do work 8 hours. Depends on the start time and length of run. It is rare. Our bottom two flex drivers have been coming in at 07:00 and working 12 plus. Managing ot has always depended on fright volume and staffing levels. At my place, it’s not so much that we are busy, more that we are short handed, or a little of both.

At my barn they are called hostlers. If you want an 8 hour shift. That's what you bid. If you start at 06:00 you will be clocking out at 18:00 if you are lucky enough to be back by then.

every time they try we get a call from some big national account manger asking why we did deliver or pick there freight and then time management goes out the window

We ain't got enough of anything. Any reduction of something leads to whatever not getting done. Every day my peddle is over booked and my pickups are over booked. And at this point it's not uncommon to return to the barn to run the freight on the dock so that you can hurry back out and fill up again. Guys closer to the barn are doing this 3 and 4 times a day. It's a miracle any of what gets done, does get done. And then they will do stupid ::shit:: like put appointment freight on a peddle and tie a driver up for hours sitting in line.

Some barns still doing the cuts times is nice. Line haul drivers come out on the outbound and move freight. Knowing they will not be blowing their hours on the other end. Which helps a lot.

All the more reason to question the amount of raise we were given. If drivers are so scarce that everyone is working so many hours ? But I am sure that the computer said this was the optimal wage to create the desired result. Whatever that may be.

Old op but I'm bored. Night Linehaul. Hour and half working outbound, 184 to break bulk, 130 to meet & back, 184 home=13 hours/day.

Yeah, that's line haul in a nut shell. And you are working it perfectly. If you are gonna bid it. You might as well get paid to do it.

Every day my peddle is over booked and my pickups are over booked... And then they will do stupid ::::shit:::: like put appointment freight on a peddle and tie a driver up for hours sitting in line.

Yup- same. But that's also not new, at least for me.

There's only so much one person can do- so I do that, and everything else is their problem. Helps me relax.

every time they try we get a call from some big national account manger asking why we did deliver or pick there freight and then time management goes out the window

Yeah, time management, cut times, not picking up overflow- every time they announce a new line in the sand, there is audible laughter in the room. I'l believe it when I see it and won't be surprised when it gets redrawn.

Yup- same. But that's also not new, at least for me.

There's only so much one person can do- so I do that, and everything else is their problem. Helps me relax.

Yep. It doesn't really matter what they do before I leave. Once I leave. It's one stop at a time.

It is comical that they so often look at you like it should be possible for you to be in more than one place at one time though.

Senior guys here get their 10+. First 2 or 3 on the flex board get good hours too. Those of us starting at 10:30 and the rest of the flex board struggle to get over 40.

Question:
It’s the goal every day. It depends on freight levels, so the 8 thing is a day by day thing. Sometimes it’s possible, sometimes not.