XPO | How long is your day , typically?

We ain't got enough of anything. Any reduction of something leads to whatever not getting done. Every day my peddle is over booked and my pickups are over booked. And at this point it's not uncommon to return to the barn to run the freight on the dock so that you can hurry back out and fill up again. Guys closer to the barn are doing this 3 and 4 times a day. It's a miracle any of what gets done, does get done. And then they will do stupid :::shit::: like put appointment freight on a peddle and tie a driver up for hours sitting in line.

Some barns still doing the cuts times is nice. Line haul drivers come out on the outbound and move freight. Knowing they will not be blowing their hours on the other end. Which helps a lot.

All the more reason to question the amount of raise we were given. If drivers are so scarce that everyone is working so many hours ? But I am sure that the computer said this was the optimal wage to create the desired result. Whatever that may be.

We are in the same region Highspeeds. When freight NEEDS to be moved on outbound our linehaul drivers have instructions not to help for fear they may jeopardize their hours to run. ( even the short run drivers who go less than 50 miles )

I have been put out of service before when I was tired out of my mind and going into my 13th hour in the city and the via driver was sitting in the breakroom ( on the clock ) waiting on his trailer. One of our linehaul drivers walked up to me and asked me how can he help. I got off the lift , explained what I was doing , began to thank him and got ready to leave. He would not take over ( he had just punched in ) went to the FOS and the FOS asked me to keep working. After a discussion , I was put out of service. ( I did not refuse to work but let the FOS know that I was fatigued and thought it might be safer to have the fresher driver finish up. )

We were told by local management that this is corporate policy. ( long before XPO )

I’m linehaul with a long run, so that combined with about 2-3 hours of dock time a night equals an average night of 12.5 minimum to 13.5 hours. Usually 62-65 hours a week.

11 to 13 hour days
We 6 drivers short and have not been able to hire a single driver in 3 months .

Last edited:
XPO tried to hire more dockworkers and drivers. Really , just treading water. As soon as one hole is patched another hole gets blown right through the starting lineup.

All that to say 11 - 12 hour days are the norm. Brown nosers running rampant. Doing most of the easy assignments that would make a long day a little better.

XPO tried to hire more dockworkers and drivers. Really , just treading water. As soon as one hole is patched another hole gets blown right through the starting lineup.

All that to say 11 - 12 hour days are the norm. Brown nosers running rampant. Doing most of the easy assignments that would make a long day a little better.
All of our guys are working 12 in the city . Have been for a year . Company has had a add since WITHN NOT ONE NEW HIGHER SINCE .

When a company pays all straight time do the workers consider anything over 8 hours overtime ?
They can but the company doesn't have to pay it because they fall under "Section 13(b)(1) of the FLSA provides an overtime exemption for employees who are within the authority of the Secretary of Transportation to establish qualifications and maximum hours of service pursuant to Section 204 of the Motor Carrier Act of 1935, except those employees covered by the small vehicle exception described below.
https://www.dol.gov/agencies/whd/fact-sheets/19-flsa-motor-carrier

They can but the company doesn't have to pay it because they fall under "Section 13(b)(1) of the FLSA provides an overtime exemption for employees who are within the authority of the Secretary of Transportation to establish qualifications and maximum hours of service pursuant to Section 204 of the Motor Carrier Act of 1935, except those employees covered by the small vehicle exception described below.
https://www.dol.gov/agencies/whd/fact-sheets/19-flsa-motor-carrier
Trucking pay is so messed up !