Estes | How Many Hours

gearshifter said:
If you are called to start at 9pm you must start your log at that time regardless if your load is ready and go on from there.
Is that a DOT rule? I have never heard of that one.If I show up at the terminal at my start time there is no way that I am going to be on my log book on duty line until my load is ready. That does not accomplish anything . Now if I have to wait at another terminal after I have logged on thats a different story as my 14 has started.

Federal (F)DOT and State (S)DOT

I will try to explain briefly. FDOT and SDOT of course follow the same "driving" laws. There are differences state to state as far as when you will be paid for your time. Now, both require that as soon as you assume duties on the premises of your employer, you WILL log it. You need to remember, if you give them free time, they will use you to no end, like another run on the weekend, etc. Now some companies, including Estes state they don't pay wait time, etc. This IS in dispute as depending on your state, which you should call and check, you WILL be paid as soon as you report for work. Example, as soon as you start your paperwork or ANY other duties that are required for your job, you will be paid. If you are a linehauler and your reporting time is say 6:00 pm, they are required to pay you from that time. I know they try to tell you it's included in your mileage, but check with your state. Your mileage does not start until you physically get behind the wheel AND start your run. During your run they can include stuff in your mileage. There are many other issues being looked at that I won't go into detail about here, but stay posted. Will try to pass along as we learn.

a new one to me also. there are many,many trucking companies that only pay for your miles and not holding time.

They can, in most states get away with wait time during your run, but as we are finding out in a few states, they have to pay from start time to the time you actually start driving. Again, this is state by state and it seems it has not been challenged. From what I hear a few states are being asked to follow up with this, so it's a wait and see. Most linehaulers are told your paperwork and pre-trip are included in your mileage, but if you are told to be at the terminal for a designated "start time", they will have to pay your hourly until you depart. Again, will forward info as received. Should not be long to hear.

Right on Slingblade. Some guys just don't understand. You don't log/clock in they'll just say too bad, you know the rules!

MTHelmet said:
Right on Slingblade. Some guys just don't understand. You don't log/clock in they'll just say too bad, you know the rules!
Yes indeed you don't need those kind of issues. Protect yourself the company does :bgroovy:

What happened to Driverman. We were'nt trying to scare you off, just trying to get things in a perspective. Come on home bubba

roadpig said:
Is that a DOT rule? I have never heard of that one.If I show up at the terminal at my start time there is no way that I am going to be on my log book on duty line until my load is ready. That does not accomplish anything . Now if I have to wait at another terminal after I have logged on thats a different story as my 14 has started.

To make this simple. The Law is if you are being held in readiness for work you are on duty not driving. If your show up time is 8pm and you arrive at you terminal you are on duty.By not doing so you are falsifying your log.Do what you want but I hope nothing ever happens.:duh:

Like I said if I have been dispatched and are between terminals ok no problem. But I doubt the dot man is going to follow me around the yard to see what I am doing. I was an OTR driver for ten years and if I was in the sleeper or vacuuming out my truck or fueling on company property after I had gone off duty
I WAS NOT required to log that as on duty time. If I was to get hurt do you think I would not have grounds for a claim? If I am in the bunkhouse and I go sit in my tractor and clean the windows do I have to log on? If I do it after my ten hours runs for my break do I have to log on ? Afterall I run extra board and the load may be ready at 8 or 10 oclock so I am being held on company property waiting on a load. I am not going to log that. I am still off duty as there is no bunkhouse line. :duh:

roadpig said:
Like I said if I have been dispatched and are between terminals ok no problem. But I doubt the dot man is going to follow me around the yard to see what I am doing. I was an OTR driver for ten years and if I was in the sleeper or vacuuming out my truck or fueling on company property after I had gone off duty
I WAS NOT required to log that as on duty time. If I was to get hurt do you think I would not have grounds for a claim? If I am in the bunkhouse and I go sit in my tractor and clean the windows do I have to log on? If I do it after my ten hours runs for my break do I have to log on ? Afterall I run extra board and the load may be ready at 8 or 10 oclock so I am being held on company property waiting on a load. I am not going to log that. I am still off duty as there is no bunkhouse line. :duh:
Now there is a good point bunkhouse rooms I guess if your not ready they just call you in the room you walk over do your thing. Just remember that's are thoughts and you are the driver and you can do what you think is correct just hope you have no problems :bgroovy: :cool: later

hos rules are
for road drivers
14 hour max inclusive of whether you take lunch or not
in otherwords your tour of duty commences at let's say 6 pm your tour must end by 8 am
after which you cannot legally get behind the wheel of a commercial moter vehicle and that also includes yard jockeying even though it may be performed on private property

however there is a one day stipulation to extend to 16 hours max but several requirements must be met
1- you could have not exercised this option in the 6 prior duty tours(days)
2- you must start and return to the same location each day
3-you had to be released from duty within 16 hours and have at least 10 hours off duty prior to starting your next tour of duty

right on pompano
just think if the unthinkable happens and there is a fatally involved and you are determined to be runnin illegal (out of hours) and the company gets sued
besides you getting fired the company then can turn around and sue you personally to recoup their losses as you were grossly negligent
so think twice before extending yourself for the sake of gettin the load there on time as these companies don't reward you if somethin happens

no jeff
everything actually stayed the same for us with the only exception for non cdl commercial motor vehicle drivers
the requirements are very specific if you wish to exercise the 16 hour option
normal linehaul drivers can do it only if you start each tour of duty and finish each tour of duty at the same location for the previous 6 days
still need 10 hours off before starting up again
can only exercise the option once in a 7 day period
cannot split the time meaning can't do two 15 hour tours

the extended hours can be ok in certain situations for any driver
emergency situations
road closures
the only time bad weather can be used is when the person dispatching you could not be aware of them at time of dispatch
if the weather forecast is for heavy snow at the time of dispatch and you leave, since the conditions were known you cannot utilize the extended hours
if a flash flood occurs or something out of the ordinary occurs during your trip then you can extend your daily max from 14 to 16 hours
traffic is not a valid reason to employ the option

big steve said:
the extended hours can be ok in certain situations for any driver
emergency situations
road closures
the only time bad weather can be used is when the person dispatching you could not be aware of them at time of dispatch

It's easy for them to say they didn't know.

if the weather forecast is for heavy snow at the time of dispatch and you leave, since the conditions were known you cannot utilize the extended hours

Once again, easy for them to they didnt know, and hard to prove them or you wrong.

if a flash flood occurs or something out of the ordinary occurs during your trip then you can extend your daily max from 14 to 16 hours
traffic is not a valid reason to employ the option

Depends on the reason for the traffic, such as an accident.

big steve said:
hos rules are
for road drivers
14 hour max inclusive of whether you take lunch or not
in otherwords your tour of duty commences at let's say 6 pm your tour must end by 8 am
after which you cannot legally get behind the wheel of a commercial moter vehicle and that also includes yard jockeying even though it may be performed on private property
I don't know about that last part. Since you wouldn't be operating on public roadways, you can probably log yard jockeying as on duty/not driving, which you legally can do for 2 days straight if you were so inclined. You just have to have the 10 hours off before you can drive again.