Yellow | How much do combo city driver gross?

Hiiii

TB Lurker
Credits
I have an interview for combo city driver/dock worker.

I was told by a reqruiter the pay is $22.50 an hour.

Been reading some threads here and it turns out that pay may be after 3 years.

I have a few questions.

1. What is average weekly gross for combo/city driver?

2. How soon can i trasfer to city p&d?

3. As a combo driver how many hours a week will i be getting this time of year?

Thanks..

Count on 8 a day all else is gravy. No such thing as just p and d everyone works the dock. The starting pay based on the contract as its written would be 17.9469 hr and go up 5% every year on yiur hire date. New contract coming in the spring no one knows what will be in it. After 3 full years it would pay $22.13 an hour. Overtime after 8 hours in any day.

Count on 8 a day all else is gravy. No such thing as just p and d everyone works the dock. The starting pay based on the contract as its written would be 17.9469 hr and go up 5% every year on yiur hire date. New contract coming in the spring no one knows what will be in it. After 3 full years it would pay $22.13 an hour. Overtime after 8 hours in any day.

Depending on location, some areas hire at full scale.

Is that something i have to ask for.
Is there usually a sign on bonus

I asked the reqruiter but they said no even thought i seen a job post 30 days ago offering $1000 for the terminal i am applying to.

Of that, I have no knowledge. Contact the local Union Hall and speak to your BA and have a conversation with your terminal steward, if possible.

Gross minus -15% weekly , the recruiter Dude won't tell you about that .......................

Even with the lower pay scale you are still better off here being Union free health insurance paid overtime and job protections.

I have an interview with both fedex freight and YRC.
If employment is offered by both of them i am still undecided based on better insurance vs better pay..

I have an interview with both fedex freight and YRC.
If employment is offered by both of them i am still undecided based on better insurance vs better pay..
Go to YRC if you have a family free insurance plus think about the Union protection almost impossible to get fired! At FEDEX they can tell you to go home fire you with no recourse.

I have an interview for combo city driver/dock worker.

I was told by a reqruiter the pay is $22.50 an hour.

Been reading some threads here and it turns out that pay may be after 3 years.

I have a few questions.

1. What is average weekly gross for combo/city driver?

2. How soon can i trasfer to city p&d?

3. As a combo driver how many hours a week will i be getting this time of year?

Thanks..
You don't identify where you are applying. In Chicago Heights, there are no combo positions. There are 5 separate seniority lists. Dock, local cartage, road, clerical and maintenance/custodial. There is no "cross over", what ever job class you are hired for is what you will do, every day. If the terminal you are applying at has "combo", you will work the dock, at least some of every day. As far as hours, most locations are critically under staffed. The chances are you will max out on HOS.
I am a retired road driver, working for YRC Freight is not as good as it was under either "heritage" company. But when you take all aspects of the job into consideration, it is an above average job. With an above average benefit package. Besides the medical, dental and vision insurance every local offers disability pay of $300/week should you become ill or injured off the job for up to 26 weeks, as well as continued medical coverage.
The job protections which come with a Teamster job, are worth something, too.
My advise, if you are young man with a family. Take an offer from YRC Freight. Especially if that terminal is one of those hiring at full scale.

You don't identify where you are applying. In Chicago Heights, there are no combo positions. There are 5 separate seniority lists. Dock, local cartage, road, clerical and maintenance/custodial. There is no "cross over", what ever job class you are hired for is what you will do, every day. If the terminal you are applying at has "combo", you will work the dock, at least some of every day. As far as hours, most locations are critically under staffed. The chances are you will max out on HOS.
I am a retired road driver, working for YRC Freight is not as good as it was under either "heritage" company. But when you take all aspects of the job into consideration, it is an above average job. With an above average benefit package. Besides the medical, dental and vision insurance every local offers disability pay of $300/week should you become ill or injured off the job for up to 26 weeks, as well as continued medical coverage.
The job protections which come with a Teamster job, are worth something, too.
My advise, if you are young man with a family. Take an offer from YRC Freight. Especially if that terminal is one of those hiring at full scale.
Above average job? Ha!
If you do your job and don't sit taking naps, playing on your phone and trying to kill time so that you don't have to go back to work the cold ass dock until midnight then you wont have to worry about job protection. If you have a wife and kids don't worry about seeing them anymore bc you'll be dedicating yourself to overtime. I hope you enjoy working 60+ hours a week and operating sub standard equipment. You'll be making the lowest wages in the ltl industry but hey, you'll have free insurance. Is that really what matters? Look at the other companies and truthfully find out how much insurance will cost you, you might be surprised. If you are in good health then that should play a factor too. Be careful of all of your coworkers, constantly stabbing you in the back to better themselves and keeping a close eye on you so you don't get something they feel entitled to. Teamster handbook says never wrong a brother and stick together as one. This couldn't be further from the truth when working at YRC.
As far as retiring someday...forget having a pension and hope you can find a matching 401k somewhere. Don't let the Teamsters control your future. The only ones they care about are themselves.

Above average job? Ha!
If you do your job and don't sit taking naps, playing on your phone and trying to kill time so that you don't have to go back to work the cold ass dock until midnight then you wont have to worry about job protection. If you have a wife and kids don't worry about seeing them anymore bc you'll be dedicating yourself to overtime. I hope you enjoy working 60+ hours a week and operating sub standard equipment. You'll be making the lowest wages in the ltl industry but hey, you'll have free insurance. Is that really what matters? Look at the other companies and truthfully find out how much insurance will cost you, you might be surprised. If you are in good health then that should play a factor too. Be careful of all of your coworkers, constantly stabbing you in the back to better themselves and keeping a close eye on you so you don't get something they feel entitled to. Teamster handbook says never wrong a brother and stick together as one. This couldn't be further from the truth when working at YRC.
As far as retiring someday...forget having a pension and hope you can find a matching 401k somewhere. Don't let the Teamsters control your future. The only ones they care about are themselves.
Are you a current employee? If so show everyone you have the "courage of your convictions", quit and go somewhere else. But I think you are one of those who are UNEMPLOYABLE anywhere else. And please post something that PROVES that YRC Freight Teamsters have the lowest wages and benefits in the LTL industry. I am confident that you will be unable to do that, because it is not true.

Are you a current employee? If so show everyone you have the "courage of your convictions", quit and go somewhere else. But I think you are one of those who are UNEMPLOYABLE anywhere else. And please post something that PROVES that YRC Freight Teamsters have the lowest wages and benefits in the LTL industry. I am confident that you will be unable to do that, because it is not true.
Two years ago I was one of the lucky ones that had enough courage to leave the misery behind me after 25 yrs of service and a million mile safe driver. I know it's a very hard thing to do for most bc of age and vacation time but it's the best thing I've ever done. I am very "employable". I enjoy doing LTL and I'm very good at it. I've been doing it for 32 years. It's nice to do a good job and be recognized for it. We have f/t dock workers so I don't work the dock at all. I was hired to do p&d and that's what I do. I started here making more money then I did after 25 years of being a Teamster. The current top scale wage is nearly $5 an hour more and they just announced our yearly wage increase of $1.15 per hour which will go into effect next month. It is a very good company to work for. I won't say which company it is but our trucks are yellow. If you talk to anyone on the street then you know most of the LTL companies are making between 27-30 an hour. Sure it's a hard switch to make and not everyone can do it. But if you are new to the industry steer clear of yrc's nonsense

Two years ago I was one of the lucky ones that had enough courage to leave the misery behind me after 25 yrs of service and a million mile safe driver. I know it's a very hard thing to do for most bc of age and vacation time but it's the best thing I've ever done. I am very "employable". I enjoy doing LTL and I'm very good at it. I've been doing it for 32 years. It's nice to do a good job and be recognized for it. We have f/t dock workers so I don't work the dock at all. I was hired to do p&d and that's what I do. I started here making more money then I did after 25 years of being a Teamster. The current top scale wage is nearly $5 an hour more and they just announced our yearly wage increase of $1.15 per hour which will go into effect next month. It is a very good company to work for. I won't say which company it is but our trucks are yellow. If you talk to anyone on the street then you know most of the LTL companies are making between 27-30 an hour. Sure it's a hard switch to make and not everyone can do it. But if you are new to the industry steer clear of yrc's nonsense
You are to be congratulated. I stayed until I was forced to retire with 29+ years, due to a career ending injury. The result of being rear ended on the job. I stand by my post as to what a job at YRC Freight means, you are bitter. I understand that. Best wishes in your current employment. And Merry Christmas. :1036316054:

You are to be congratulated. I stayed until I was forced to retire with 29+ years, due to a career ending injury. The result of being rear ended on the job. I stand by my post as to what a job at YRC Freight means, you are bitter. I understand that. Best wishes in your current employment. And Merry Christmas. :1036316054:
That’s kind of a loaded question there bag? Rear ended on the job? Some won’t understand...