Yellow | How the Truck Driver shortage effects you

It's not just YRCF that can't hire enough workers...

"Despite record high confidence, Main Street businesses can't find the workers they need"

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/06/14/des...ence-main-street-businesses-need-workers.html
In Trucking alone SAIA is reporting backed up linehaul, R&L has told certain terminals deliveries only because they are backed up due to lack of employees, UPS is fighting over management wanting more forced overtime
Holland and YRC are asking City guys to volunteer for linehaul on weekends. So apparently your right it’s everywhere and it could be a good time for labor to have contract negotiations.

In Trucking alone SAIA is reporting backed up linehaul, R&L has told certain terminals deliveries only because they are backed up due to lack of employees, UPS is fighting over management wanting more forced overtime
Holland and YRC are asking City guys to volunteer for linehaul on weekends. So apparently your right it’s everywhere and it could be a good time for labor to have contract negotiations.

Wish ABF had realized this!

I don't disagree that YRCW Management and the Leadership at the Teamsters have contributed to the demise of YRCW, but here are some other facts about YRCW .vs the Non-Union companies and why companies like Old Dominion operate in the low 80's versus YRCW barely breaking even.
1. The Network - YRC Freight has over 260 terminals and 38,000 shipments per day (source Q1 report). They added 6 DC's last year in a change of Operations. More transfers more cost. Why are they adding DC's when they are shrinking?? Most of those DC's are 7 days a week operations. Very few of the Non-Union companies have 7 day operations. The company I work for has 120 terminals and 45,000 shipments per day. All shut down early Saturday morning. Huge cost advantage for the Non-Unions here. Less transfers, better service, better lane density, more consistency to the network.
2. Service & Value - YRCW companies service and damages have deteriorated over the past 10 years. Holland and New Penn once dominated their footprints. That is no longer the case. Reddaway is the only one (mostly Non-Union) with good service and quality. ODFL's claim Ratio last year was .35. YRCW's was 1.35. Huge difference here.
3. Pricing - 85% of the YRCW book of business is 3PL or National Accounts. The 3PL Channel has been the fastest growing segment in the portfolio at all YRCW Companies. Justin Hall (CCO) was brought in as the savior in 2016. All he has done is lowered the prices to the 3PL's and added headcount to support the 3PL growth which LOSES money at all 3 companies. WHY would a any carrier LOWER rates to the 3PL's (who don't own trucks or have drivers) and allow the 3PL's to make money and YRCW LOSES money on this business. Huge advantage to the Non-union companies here. The only one that prices as deep as YRCW for the 3PL Channel is Central Transport.
4. The YRCW Culture is Toxic - Employees have taken 15% pay cuts to keep the company a float and are making less money in 2018 than they did in 2007 (See KK's Post 5.9 "Well are we there yet" in the YRC Freight Forum). No end in sight here. The separation of wages will be $10/hour between the YRCW Companies and the Non-Union Carriers in 5 years.
5. YRCW Management - Why don't they talk to the rank and file? Why don't they talk to the Account Executives that are hearing HORROR stories from customers and the poor service they are providing? Whay aren't the YRCW Leaders visible and answer tough questions from the people that have kept you a float? When was the last time your saw a President conducting a drivers meeting at a YRCW Company? Long time. Sharing company strategy, getting employee input and answering tough questions is what the leaders of my Non-Union company does. They also listen to Account Executives and remove selling obstacles. The Rank and File of all YRCW companies deserve better and more effective leadership.

I could give you about 10 more reasons why the non union companies are growing like crazy and making tons of money and sharing it with their drivers....
Thank you for your well-reasoned post. It is obvious that you don't work for YRC, but then you never claimed that you do. I do work for YRC, and have been with this company and previously Yellow for a long time. Here are the problems that I see: a) the corporate brass listen to the rank and file occasionally, but for the most part they ignore what they hear from us. b) Some of our rank-and-file seem to think that this is a resort, not a workplace. What those people do in a day is a travesty to even call it "work". Problem is, their managers know what they're not doing, but don't correct the lazy behavior. c) Our damage and shortage claims are horrible!! This needs to be corrected in the worst way. d) The corporate executives continue to make terrible decisions that adversely affect all of us. e) THIS IS HUGE! We the rank-and-file need to "take the bull by the horns" by taking ownership of the day-to-day operation. Tell that manager that he's crazy, but also tell him (or her) WHY they don't know what they're doing. Be sure you have a solution, and demand that they implement it! Remember that this is YOUR company! Take pride in yourself, and what you do. Be there when you're supposed to be there. Demand accountability of the management, your brethren, and the customers. Solve problems, don't create them. Treat the equipment as though you own it, and are paying the repair bill on it yourself. THINK!! Do it right! Demand that the management do it right.If they try to write you up or ignore you, get EVERYBODY on their case! They'll either straighten up or run away; either of these is probably OK. Get the idea???

Thank you for your well-reasoned post. It is obvious that you don't work for YRC, but then you never claimed that you do. I do work for YRC, and have been with this company and previously Yellow for a long time. Here are the problems that I see: a) the corporate brass listen to the rank and file occasionally, but for the most part they ignore what they hear from us. b) Some of our rank-and-file seem to think that this is a resort, not a workplace. What those people do in a day is a travesty to even call it "work". Problem is, their managers know what they're not doing, but don't correct the lazy behavior. c) Our damage and shortage claims are horrible!! This needs to be corrected in the worst way. d) The corporate executives continue to make terrible decisions that adversely affect all of us. e) THIS IS HUGE! We the rank-and-file need to "take the bull by the horns" by taking ownership of the day-to-day operation. Tell that manager that he's crazy, but also tell him (or her) WHY they don't know what they're doing. Be sure you have a solution, and demand that they implement it! Remember that this is YOUR company! Take pride in yourself, and what you do. Be there when you're supposed to be there. Demand accountability of the management, your brethren, and the customers. Solve problems, don't create them. Treat the equipment as though you own it, and are paying the repair bill on it yourself. THINK!! Do it right! Demand that the management do it right.If they try to write you up or ignore you, get EVERYBODY on their case! They'll either straighten up or run away; either of these is probably OK. Get the idea???
Awesome post. This is what UNION should be about - YOUR company and YOUR jobs are YOUR responsibility. It's said union employees at YRC are virtually unfirable. Why not take advantage of that by getting after poor supervision and bad management for the sake of YOUR jobs and an improved workplace? Don't give in to the idea union = lazy, uncaring. (ODFL actually brags in their ads about being more customer-friendly because they're non-union.) Why allow non-union competitors to beat you? Take pride in where you've been and where you're going by being involved in steering YOUR company in the right direction: care about the freight; get it where it belongs on time and in excellent condition. Take care of the equipment - the fleet is becoming more world-class every day. Take pride in it. Take pride in being UNION.

One more thing and I'll shut up. The company took a huge hit - lost a ton of business by being out maneuvered by the competition. The UNION came through and saved the company. Does anyone argue against that statement? You guys SAVED THE COMPANY. And you - the UNION - instead of being bitter, should be proud of that. Look in the mirror and say, "I saved YRC." But the union - you - can't rest on that. You gotta take it up another notch and continue to improve the company - whatever it takes.

This is a good read.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/com...truck-drivers-gone/ar-AAz5Xwf?ocid=spartanntp

I worked for "Yellow" for several years back for 22 years. I know all about the past and how YRCW past & current management has put all companies at risk. What you describe is a deteriorating culture that has to first be acknowledged by ALL, and that all the things you point out need fixing. I wish you well with your passion to get everyone to open their eyes and change.