TForce | How to become a UPS driver

INTOTHENOW

TB Lurker
Credits
So as I sit hear and watch UPS trucks go by every night I wonder why and how I never attemted to go that route.
LTL Driver here and tired of the non-union crap that is being handed to me.
Just wondering how you get your foot in the door off the street.
14 years driving, over the road to start, then local driver, now a linehaul driver.
No accidents, no tickets, nothin but those driving awards I get from the state of Illiniois.

Ya I understand how it goes with the Union stuff, if your Dad, Uncle, Cousin etc work there.
Someone off the street probably has no chance. It's all in who you know.

Ya I understand how it goes with the Union stuff, if your Dad, Uncle, Cousin etc work there.
Someone off the street probably has no chance. It's all in who you know.

It doesn't matter who works there, it's the way UPS does it. I have bills to pay and can't work for 8.50/hr for 4 hours a day(subject to longer hours if needed,OOOH get six hours, your late to your REAL job, and you made a whopping 51 bucks that day!) to get my foot in the door. It's totally stupid. And, from what I've been told it takes years to get to be a feeder driver after you do get on full time. Now they are even hiring feeder drivers as part timers and still only pay them 8.50 an hour:hysterical::biglaugh::nutkick::hysterical:

Holland is right. Feeder drivers are hired from with in, u8nless they cannot get anyone inside to fill the position, then they hire off the street. You have a better chance getting hired off the street as a pkg car driver.

I was told by a feeder driver out of Pittsburg KS several years ago that UPS hires like this: For every 4 drivers they hire for package cars, 1 is hired off the street, the rest are from part time stock, I told him I sure would like to be that one that gets hired off the street, he told me if I was a minority, I would have a good shot, he then told me he was full blood indian and thats how he go hired, was off the street for package car, then waited his turn for feeder.
Just a little :popcorn:popcorn for thought.

What is a feeder driver? Is that like shuttle or linehaul? And don't tell me it has anything to do with popcorn, grocerythrower.:hysterical:

thats pretty bad UPS suppose to be the company
to work for and have there union to back them,but then
you see them hiring and wanting to pay a man 8.50 an
part/time thats pretty good when you take companies
like fedex/estes etc paying there part/time guys 17.00
18.00 dollars an hour.yes it would be nice to get on with ups
but how is a man to survive on 8.50 an hour 20 hours a week?
sounds like ups is trying to get over on the labor think its time
they move this company to (MEXICO)

Seriously though, I would love to be a shuttle/feeder driver there but just can't afford to jump through their spinning flaming hoops.

Seriously though, I would love to be a shuttle/feeder driver there but just can't afford to jump through their spinning flaming hoops.

I went through their speil at ups in earth city (st.louis) when I got layed off at holland. almost all of there feeders are part time and they work from about march till august and then they are layed off and called back for the nov- dec christmass rush. They pay like you said 8.50 an hour with no benefits. I live about a 120 miles from there, and they want you to be on call 24 hours a day and live within an hour of the terminal ,I think it is a joke. they just use these drivers for their own benefit, and the drivers think they have their foot in the door when actually they are just being used. If you are one of these drivers you better not pi$$ anyone off or they will never call you back after the seasonal layoff. You have to real be a a$$ kisser with that job.Its really sorry that they do people like that I heard their are part timers there that have been waiting 7 or 8 years for a full time position.and dont even think about haveing an accident while your there or you will never have a job with them.so dont be fooled when you see alot of those drivers out there wearing that brown uniform just remember that alot of them are only making a little more than minimuim wage.

my son is a full-time college student, and he works part-time as a package handler, he told me that 99% of the guys at UPS start at the bottom and work there way up, most new positons are filled within, they hardly ever hire off the street for one of the driver postions.

Other than supervision,aren't all workers at UPS union members?
Also doesn't UPS pay into the pension fund,on their behalf reguardless if they are just part-timers?

Other than supervision,aren't all workers at UPS union members?
Also doesn't UPS pay into the pension fund,on their behalf reguardless if they are just part-timers?

Yes they do. Also medical, dental, legal, visual,short term dis insurance. But starting previous contract they (p-timers) had to put in a year or two before they are eligible.

sounds like ups is trying to get over on the labor think its time
they move this company to (MEXICO)

They can move the company to Mexico, but they still have to drive over here. I'm more worried about them bringing over Mexican qualified CDL drivers to drive our equipment.

from what I understand ups is not in the pension fund anymore . they bought their way out with a 6 billion dollar check. they formed their own pension fund for their employees which is what abf wanted to do. If you go to the ups webpage it shows they are hiring full time tractor trailer drivers mostly in the northeast. I know this is the time they hire casuals but some of these positions have been on their site year round. but like everyone says I believe they only hire from within

from what I understand ups is not in the pension fund anymore

They are only out of the Central States. The others are still joint Teamster / Company
As far as hiring feeder drivers I know they were hiring off the street to fill some positions in Trinidad Co earlier because no insider wanted to move up.

Whats with the fulltime linehaul position they have advertised in Cols Ohio? Do you actually get a full time, mostly year round job? Is it just driving, dropping, hooking etc?

Ok heres the way it is. My BIL has worked for UPS for 15 years. He started out right after school as a PT truck loader or Washer at the low wage at night and worked as a sacker at market Basket during the day while going to college all at the same time. after close to 2 years I think he got promoted to pkg driver. THEY MAKE FAAR FROM MINIMUM WAGE!!! He makes around $60,000/year with 100% paid health benefits for the whole family not just the driver!! and matching 401 K. They make good money! You have to start out this way you cant just walk in from the street and get a driving job(in most cases) They promote from within. its true you cant afford to do that hardly,but if you can and work another job during the day its worth waiting for to be a package driver. Now the big rig jobs are hard to get too. Those guys dont leave unless they retire or die! Then they promote a pkg driver to it. So if you really want to work for UPS you have to start out part time loader or truck washer or help during the season sometimes they will keep those drivers on but rarely! I think the pay is close to $10/hr now and even the PT guys get 100% paid health insurance for the whole family not just the driver!!!