Yellow | How to Fund Pension

I am guessing this will strike a nerve with a lot of people but I think the pension repair ship has sailed. I do not expect there to be anything left for anyone who is not very close to retirement so I would be fine with some sort of 401k match and at least anyone that is in their mid fifties or younger can get some sort of retirement going. I am sorry if this rubs some people the wrong way but when they talked about reducing payments to current retiree's they voted no so I no longer feel any sorrow for them. If they would have been willing to share the pain with the younger workers I would have been fine with it but when they said no to pension payment cuts they lost my support. At least the younger workers could control a 401k and not have it stolen from them when they had no control. I am guessing it would make it much easier to hire workers if you did not have to tell them the pension fund will run out of money long before you retire.

I am guessing this will strike a nerve with a lot of people but I think the pension repair ship has sailed. I do not expect there to be anything left for anyone who is not very close to retirement so I would be fine with some sort of 401k match and at least anyone that is in their mid fifties or younger can get some sort of retirement going. I am sorry if this rubs some people the wrong way but when they talked about reducing payments to current retiree's they voted no so I no longer feel any sorrow for them. If they would have been willing to share the pain with the younger workers I would have been fine with it but when they said no to pension payment cuts they lost my support. At least the younger workers could control a 401k and not have it stolen from them when they had no control. I am guessing it would make it much easier to hire workers if you did not have to tell them the pension fund will run out of money long before you retire.
No offense taken.
I'm one of the ones very close to retiring.
Gonna do it with or without the pension.
Just getting all my trailers (ducks) In a row. Then BaBye.

I wonder if you can tour the facility, with free samples at the end. Like a brewery.
You'd have to be strapped to a two wheeler prior to starting the tour. And have a designated driver on the tour. Cause when your done your gonna be Kushed!
Only way to get you out afterwards is to two wheel you out.
That's if this was an offer they had. A tour.... Lol.
(take a drool towel)
:17142:

I have to agree, if we had 1/2 of the funds put in a 401k that went to pension we could all retire comfortably. Would love to have s company match for what we have.

No offense taken.
I'm one of the ones very close to retiring.
Gonna do it with or without the pension.
Just getting all my trailers (ducks) In a row. Then BaBye.
I put in for my retirement in late 2008 at age 58, right after the merger of Roadway and Yellow. No plan at all.
Then at age 62 I did what your not suppose to do ( which most people do) and took my Social Security.
Now at age 67, so far so good.

Ya. Sometimes you have to do it. I can take what the pension gives me now and wait till 66 to get ss. I can go four years without ss. And if the pension goes away I'll take the ss and move on. I still can work. But just not there anymore. Not a physical thing. It's more to keep my sanity. If I drove I may be able to stay longer. But straight up dock work. Nope. Not being able to get away from the building is like working on an assembly line. Same thing everyday. Not that driving is all that wonderful I know drivers have their problems.
We have a clerk turned supervisor That says enough. He became part of the problem. No different than any other super. It rolls downhill.
Oh. Jeez. Rambling. Sorry.
Next.
(58 was early!)
Took some gonads.
But it's good you didn't see the cluster it's turned into.
I was going through some serious health issues at 58. Had to stay until now. I'm fixed (no not that) and can go now..

Last edited:
Ya. Sometimes you have to do it. I can take what the pension gives me now and wait till 66 to get ss. I can go four years without ss. And if the pension goes away I'll take the ss and move on. I still can work. But just not there anymore. Not a physical thing. It's more to keep my sanity. If I drove I may be able to stay longer. But straight up dock work. Nope. Not being able to get away from the building is like working on an assembly line. Same thing everyday. Not that driving is all that wonderful I know drivers have their problems.
We have a clerk turned supervisor That says enough. He became part of the problem. No different than any other super. It rolls downhill.
Next.
(58 was early!)
Took some gonads.
I was going through some serious health issues at 58. Had to stay until now. I'm fixed (no not that) and can go now..
After the merger of Yellow and Roadway, I didn't think they would survive and there would be a mass of people retiring and a run on the pension funds. If not for the buy out of Roadway Corporation, by Yellow Corporation,
two things. One, Roadway Corporation would still be in business today,imo. And number two, I would of just retired.

Last edited:
Next.
(58 was early!)
Took some gonads.
One you reach age 65 and Medicare, things also improve.

I am hoping things improve when I go out the gate the last time.
(mentally I know it will. But then again. Not there yet. Close.)
But most times with even good planning it works out different than what I have planned.
And it's a good plan. I glad yours worked out. I hope mine (ours. Wife too) works out.
But that's good to know too. 65 and healthy. I don't have any health issues planned. Lol.
Thank you.
We have guys that are 57 years old. 34-36 years of service.
I've never been more happy to be older. And to also have worked elsewhere to where this is not the only job I ever had. I started at Roadway when I was 30.
Worked at a few good places. Roadway was good too. But this debacle cannot be explained.
Whoo Hoo for those over 62!
Lol.

mysticobra, I found myself forced to retire due to an OJI. The best aspect is not having to go back to the farce that is YRC Freight! FYI, I'm 62.
I've see 4 guys go out the same way in the last 10 years. And we are an Eol. Small.
Around 70 people. (shoulders knees and one bad accident on the dock)