SAIA | How to prove that this camera situation has hit a nerve

Dracula

TB Veteran
Credits
If I am understanding the numbers correctly, and that is hardly a given on any calculation requiring more than ten fingers and 12 toes, yeah, I have odd feet, what of it? Train started the Drive Cam...by Lytx thread approximately a year ago and it has generated almost 100,000 views. A little over 24 hours ago, PistonRing83 started the Mass Exodus thread and it has recorded over 400 views. Saia is not a small company but it is dwarfed by some of the other Truckingboard companies and yet you rarely find a thread with that kind of viewer numbers.
I would bet that the boys at John's Creek, Georgia, monitor sites such as truckingboards. I wonder what they think about these numbers?

If I am understanding the numbers correctly, and that is hardly a given on any calculation requiring more than ten fingers and 12 toes, yeah, I have odd feet, what of it? Train started the Drive Cam...by Lytx thread approximately a year ago and it has generated almost 100,000 views. A little over 24 hours ago, PistonRing83 started the Mass Exodus thread and it has recorded over 400 views. Saia is not a small company but it is dwarfed by some of the other Truckingboard companies and yet you rarely find a thread with that kind of viewer numbers.
I would bet that the boys at John's Creek, Georgia, monitor sites such as truckingboards. I wonder what they think about these numbers?
My guess is they will have some concern and should start educating the drivers more to help stop the fear. And ultimately that's what it is "FEAR" of the unknown. And then again they may do nothing. They won't drop the program because they have invested too much. But they can ease the fear by spending the time to open a dialogue so that these rumors will stop running rampant. I see it everyday with the fear mongering and unfortunately many buy into it because they simply don't understand how DriveCam works.

I think fear is on both sides train, Saia got to be worried about losing drivers at a busy time of year. How much or how big the sign on bonus will they have to put out in order to get good qualified drivers in here. I ain't crazy about the cameras but I can adapt. The pay and benefits are good plus everybody is getting them so I have too. I can't walk away from a good job.

I think fear is on both sides train, Saia got to be worried about losing drivers at a busy time of year. How much or how big the sign on bonus will they have to put out in order to get good qualified drivers in here. I ain't crazy about the cameras but I can adapt. The pay and benefits are good plus everybody is getting them so I have too. I can't walk away from a good job.
Where can a blue collar worker make 100K+ ?? With the 401k and healthcare plus all the other perks? Let me tell you. Almost nowhere unless you own your own business. If some walk away from this job because of these cameras then they will get what they deserve. Another job that may not have cameras yet but most certainly will in the future. No one has a better overall compensation plan than SAIA. Those that walk away will most certainly regret it. That I feel certain of. I know you personally Rider. Your a very smart man. That's why I know you won't go anywhere. If some of the others walk away then just say good riddance. You can move right on up the seniority list. I will probably be retired so you will have to come visit me at my retirement home in Far East Texas (Tyler) left to me by my late parents. We can ride horses and drink a couple of cold ones.

Last edited:
Lol wish I was close 2 retirement. Sum guys have all the luck
Not sure I would call it luck. It's called getting old and paying your dues. Although I suppose I could say I'm blessed to have lived this long. Many of my friends have long since left this earth far to soon. Watch what you eat and leave tobacco alone and I'm sure you will have your golden years too. And remember to drink in moderation too. You got to take care of your body.

My guess is they will have some concern and should start educating the drivers more to help stop the fear. And ultimately that's what it is "FEAR" of the unknown. And then again they may do nothing. They won't drop the program because they have invested too much. But they can ease the fear by spending the time to open a dialogue so that these rumors will stop running rampant. I see it everyday with the fear mongering and unfortunately many buy into it because they simply don't understand how DriveCam works.
Is it rumours? I think not all of it. Clearly your drivers have been coached for garbage events... as have ours. That's not rumour. If your mgmt is smart, they will ease off the coaching events. Our company has. Our trainers are even refusing to coach events that are stupid and should never have been brought up. Are your head office people on this board? Yep. That I can confirm.

Another job that may not have cameras yet but most certainly will in the future.

So they will all have cameras. Will they all also have the stupid no cb and no bluetoothed telephone rule? All the while ordering trucks with Bluetooth equipped radios. Probably not. Hell, even the ATA which SAIA loves to talk about, says there is more of a benefit to the Bluetooth then not.

Where did you find the information that the ATA says that there is more of a benefit to the Bluetooth than not? I would like to take that info to my safety supervisor.

Where did you find the information that the ATA says that there is more of a benefit to the Bluetooth than not? I would like to take that info to my safety supervisor.

http://thetrucker.com/News/Story/ATAfilessupportofcellphonebanhands-freeexception

There was a better article about it that I can't find right now. But I can tell you from my experience, they don't care to hear anything that doesn't fit their narrative. And they have an answer for everything. Just ask them why it's not safe to be on the phone but it's safe to have a trainer in the truck talking to you. I had to chuckle when I heard their answer. Or being told you shouldn't use the cb to help safely pass a slower truck on a two lane but you should use hand signals.

http://thetrucker.com/News/Story/ATAfilessupportofcellphonebanhands-freeexception

There was a better article about it that I can't find right now. But I can tell you from my experience, they don't care to hear anything that doesn't fit their narrative. And they have an answer for everything. Just ask them why it's not safe to be on the phone but it's safe to have a trainer in the truck talking to you. I had to chuckle when I heard their answer. Or being told you shouldn't use the cb to help safely pass a slower truck on a two lane but you should use hand signals.
Too much liability if ::shit:: hits the fan.:fan: The decision has been made so just accept it and don't walk away from a great job like this because of the Bluetooth policy. Many already have this policy and more will follow in the next couple of years.

Too much liability if :::shit::: hits the fan.:fan: The decision has been made so just accept it and don't walk away from a great job like this because of the Bluetooth policy. Many already have this policy and more will follow in the next couple of years.

I don't know of ANY other LTL's with this policy. Do tell...

I don't know of ANY other LTL's with this policy. Do tell...
I won't waste my time listing the companies because it wouldn't matter because you guys are insistent on ripping the company. Many are not LTL companies. Just F-ing quit. The are plenty of dock to driver guys waiting to take your place and experienced drivers that would love to move up in seniority. You hate what this company has become then just leave. You can and will be replaced. You say it's worse than Conway then go back to Conway. Go anywhere you want ..... Just leave. I'm so sick of you ungrateful guys ripping the company that helps you pay your bills and helps you feed your family.

Last edited:
They are not helping you do anything, they are paying you for the job you do, when you quit doing your job they will quit helping you.
That's true. These guys think the grass is greener somewhere else. SAIA wants drivers that want to be here so let the next company pay them for the job they do.

I won't waste my time listing the companies because it wouldn't matter because you guys are insistent on ripping the company. Many are not LTL companies. Just F-ing quit. The are plenty of dock to driver guys waiting to take your place and experienced drivers that would love to move up in seniority. You hate what this company has become then just leave. You can and will be replaced. You say it's worse than Conway then go back to Conway. Go anywhere you want ..... Just leave. I'm so sick of you ungrateful guys ripping the company that helps you pay your bills and helps you feed your family.

Exactly, you can't list the companies because there AREN'T any. I don't care what non-LTL companies do.

Most of us are not insistent on ripping the company unless they deserve it. You just see it that way because you are insistent on blindly defending the company regardless of the idiotic decisions they make. Maybe you should have stayed a dispatcher, because you haven't lost the "drivers are a dime a dozen" attitude. Next you'll be telling us we're overpaid like the rest of the management here loves to do. Although you probably should make up your mind, because a couple days ago you were lamenting about how good linehaul drivers are not easily replaced. Now you say that every dock to driver candidate is lining up to take our jobs. Which is it?

Luckily for the rest of us here in reality, there is a huge driver shortage and as long as companies keep treating drivers like they do, there's going to be no end to it in sight. I've had three different job offers and could go plenty of different places, but most of these companies are all pretty much the same so what's the point. The grass isn't greener, which is the whole point. I'd rather stay here and wait it out to see if they realize their idiotic policy is going to cost them more drivers than it's worth. Once we get all the trucks converted, the playing field is even and all the drivers are forced to make a decision, then we will see what they do.

There are many past cases of companies over reaching and being forced to reverse their overzealous policies thanks to employee push-back and turnover. FedEx with their scorecard system and Con-Way with their cameras and pay-scale system, just to name a couple. It's how the free market works.

A GOOD JOB? WOW NOT HARDLY CARE TOO LITTLE ABOUT YOUR DRIVERS. AND NO NOT EVERYONE WILL HAVE THEM. SERIOUSLY

A GOOD JOB? WOW NOT HARDLY CARE TOO LITTLE ABOUT YOUR DRIVERS. AND NO NOT EVERYONE WILL HAVE THEM. SERIOUSLY
It pays my bill and i got sum left over to wine and dine mama. My son was in a accident last year $90000+ and i only had to pay $1389. So yeah it's a damn good job to me. To each his own. Every driver got to do what's best for themselves. What works for me not might work for others.