ABF | How to settle CONTRACT

Yes you can work on the dock after 60 hours in a 5 day city operation. You can work as many hours on the dock as you want. There is no DOT restriction of the # of hours you work, until you get behind the wheel of a CMV. You can drive the yard horse 100 hours a week in the yard & not be in violation. As long as you don't drive on a public thoroughfare. The Hours of Service rule never comes in to play until you start driving.

Hah, Brother!...you've uncovered one of the dirty little secrets in the Hours of Service changes approved way back in 2001?...2002? The other dirty little secret is the 34 hour re-start. Here in a Teamster carrier, we are told by the Union not to use it, however....it is the DRIVER'S individual choice...and pretty much all of us Teamsters realize a 34 hour re-start is a government approved hog board......so we don't use it. But!...out there in non-Union truckload land.....the 34 hour re-start is no longer the driver's personal choice....it is your WEEKEND....and the COMPANY tells you when to use it. My son drove for 3 truckload carriers over a 5 year period,....they're all the same.....34 hours is now your "time at home" , and that's all you get....in the truckload side. Wait until the LTL side goes non-Union and starts "suggesting" to drivers to use the 34 hour re-start.......(to be competitive, of course...)....or else.......

You hit the nail on the head about the 34 hour restart. I think using that you can work up to 84 hours a week. March 1st they are back in court on the HOS. They might drag it on another 3 or 4 years. The final HOS rules if not delayed will publish in the Federal Register & go in effect June 1, 2013. The ATA is hoping the current rules don't change, but they will to some extent. If they go back to the 10hr drive, that kills Indy to Omaha, Indy to Little Rock & a bunch more. I suspect there are some UE runs that might come up against the 10hr drive window. As proposed there are 2 - 6 hour mandatory breaks from 0000 to 0600 hours in a 7 day period. What a mess that would be.

All of those HOS rule changes tell me one thing. The ATA recognizes the fact that carriers can't hire people....so they are trying to adjust the Federally mandated HOS to get more productivity out of existing drivers.......and safety is just an afterthought.

You hit the nail on the head about the 34 hour restart. I think using that you can work up to 84 hours a week. March 1st they are back in court on the HOS. They might drag it on another 3 or 4 years. The final HOS rules if not delayed will publish in the Federal Register & go in effect June 1, 2013. The ATA is hoping the current rules don't change, but they will to some extent. If they go back to the 10hr drive, that kills Indy to Omaha, Indy to Little Rock & a bunch more. I suspect there are some UE runs that might come up against the 10hr drive window. As proposed there are 2 - 6 hour mandatory breaks from 0000 to 0600 hours in a 7 day period. What a mess that would be.
I thought the 2 6 hour breaks was if you were using the 34 hour restart. If you are doing the recap the old way the 2 6 hour deals will not affect you.

Yea, :smiliewhs: ,where I come from we're not allowed to drive after we work more than 60 hours in a seven day period. And after working 60 hours I am not interested in working the dock.
Dont city driver fall under the 60 hour rule anyways if we drive in a 100mile radius? So how would u even get a taste of overtime?

Dont city driver fall under the 60 hour rule anyways if we drive in a 100mile radius? So how would u even get a taste of overtime?
Yes, that is what we are saying. Except you are allowed to work the dock 'til the cows come home so long as you have your hours in line when you get back onto the street.

You can't keep using OD as a comparison. They are in their own class. OD is leading the LTL world in lowering the standard for drivers. No overtime after 60 is HUGE. So if you want to compete with that outfit then give up your overtime pay to be in line with those clowns. Maybe ABF will be nice and give you a steak dinner once per year to keep you satisfied like they do over there.

You can't keep using OD as a comparison. They are in their own class. OD is leading the LTL world in lowering the standard for drivers. No overtime after 60 is HUGE. So if you want to compete with that outfit then give up your overtime pay to be in line with those clowns. Maybe ABF will be nice and give you a steak dinner once per year to keep you satisfied like they do over there.

Lower standards? Their drivers are happy, and are making good money.
Many union drivers went over there and are extremely happy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lower standards? Thier drivers are happy, and are making good money.
Decisions, decisions, you have sooo many choices, Wal-mart, OD and more I am sure yet you stick it out at ABF...go figure.

Decisions, decisions, you have sooo many choices, Wal-mart, OD and more I am sure yet you stick it out at ABF...go figure.

I know you think your above the TB rules, but keep your person attacks against me in the ABF forum. R14 isn't here to protect your butt.

I know you think your above the TB rules, but keep your person attacks against me in the ABF forum. R14 isn't here to protect your butt.
:crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby:

:hysterical: this isn't the ABF forum? Please forgive me I am lost. I don't need R-14 to protect me I operate within the law. I have to admit that you do provide some level of entertainment in your own pathetic way. What is scary is the thought that you might be able to bear arms.

:hysterical: this isn't the ABF forum? Please forgive me I am lost. I don't need R-14 to protect me I operate within the law. I have to admit that you do provide some level of entertainment in your own pathetic way. What is scary is the thought that you might be able to bear arms.

Oops. My bad it is. The od talk through me for a loop.

Go on then princess! Bash away you Teamster drone.

But hey for my defense. You have stalked me onto other forums to bash.

R14 is your buddy. He lets you insult all day long, but if I dare call you anything, its a warning. I'm sure that princess remark will cost me.

Its part of that brotherhood garbage. I refuse to be a drone, so there for I'm not in the brotherhood.

What can I say?

Question for ya abfer. Why do you show such disrespect for your union brothers that disagree with ya?

That's the problem with unions today.

Lower standards? Their drivers are happy, and are making good money.

Then go over there. The drivers I talk to aren't too happy to work 59.5 hours per week with no overtime pay. The drivers I talk to have told me about their garbage health insurance. If you want to believe what the four clowns on the OD board have to say then go ahead and believe them. They are company inserted onto TB. Anything posted that is remotely negative about that company and the mod screams that you are trying to post pro union. The REAL drivers at OD are not happy. And yes they are lowering the standards for drivers. All other LTL's will and are trying to copy what OD does in order to compete with their false operating ratio. In time FredEx and Conjob will follow suit, they will have no choice and the drivers will have no say. So go over there stone. Join OD and the race to the bottom.

Then go over there. The drivers I talk to aren't too happy to work 59.5 hours per week with no overtime pay. The drivers I talk to have told me about their garbage health insurance. If you want to believe what the four clowns on the OD board have to say then go ahead and believe them. They are company inserted onto TB. Anything posted that is remotely negative about that company and the mod screams that you are trying to post pro union. The REAL drivers at OD are not happy. And yes they are lowering the standards for drivers. All other LTL's will and are trying to copy what OD does in order to compete with their false operating ratio. In time FredEx and Conjob will follow suit, they will have no choice and the drivers will have no say. So go over there stone. Join OD and the race to the bottom.

I know driver's here getting OT aftet 8 and are still unhappy.

The OD clowns here? I stay at the same hotel as the od drivers. Talk to them often. Yes they have complaints, but on general they are happy.
Don't we all have complaints be it union or non union?
Plus, go on the OD FB page. I have read post after post from many different OD employees expressing their happiness with OD. Its much more than jusr four.
Seems to me YRC a union company has done more to hurt the ltl industry than any non union outfit.

After 60?You can't work after 60 if your a city operation because that would be a D.O.T. violation.:confused:

not true, a city driver can work 14 hours hours a day just like a road driver,just after the clock tics over to the 12th hour on any work day they need to log their work to stay dot compliant.