FedEx Freight | How'd ya get started?

WornOut

TB Lurker
Credits
Any stories of how you learned to drive a truck?
Heres mine:
I started in the driver program at CFL, trained and started in a Bobtail, ran that for 3 years, then we got our cdl's (troopers came and gave us the test). I used my lunch break on the yard driving a tractor and trailer, but basically taught myself, with a little help from my dad, and using the yard spotter. Every so often I would time my lunch break to be in the yard, and would practice using line tractors, and backing in and out of spots on the yard. I backed up to the dock, in parking spaces in between trailers, etc....then moved to blindsiding....I had most trouble with backing in between trailers on the yard. No power steering in those days, with those old Ford tractors...it was a challenge. Had to pull up quite a bit, but my Dad told me, it was no shame in pulling up. Then I was formally trained by an old hand, for two weeks, he said he could tell that I have practiced, he taught me well.....brought me into a lot of tight city spots where he gave me a lot of good tips.

My Dad was a trucker, so I grew up around them... Always rode with him summers as a kid.. (a long time ago). He sold his company to Willis Shaw, then was a owner/operator.
I've been driving off and on since 1980. I did win the US Army 1st Cav driving championship in 1979, in a duece,,, but was disqualified because my BC sent me 10 minutes late... But I still won !!!!! :)

At age 16 (31 years agao) I was told to take the truck to the post office it was a 28 footer , I did , 2 years latter I was told it is going to be a semi now and I needed to change to a chauffeur licence and the rest has been down hill ever since , the truck drivers rut. Millions of miles and millions of customers.
The end / Smokestack

Born in 55/at 16 started sweeping floor's at a towing company in the middle of a december snowstorm i was givin the key's to a ford 1 ton wrecker as the the company had the police contract at the time,i was out there lmost 48 hours straight at 17 graduated to a single axle class 8 wrecker from there i did auto parts for FORD then went on too haulin lumber out of Ontario to PA then either 1 or 2 steel coil's back too Buick city in MI,i could keep goin but that's my start in this business.Note back in those day's all you needed was a chauffers licence,ahh the good ole day's,GOD I'M GETTIN OLD