FedEx Freight | How's ya get started?

Elijah777

TB Lurker
Credits
Hi,
How'd you get started driving for FedEx freight? Where had you been before then? Would you do it differently--in hindsight?
Is it true that driving for freight division one MUST own thier own truck?

I have been working at FedEx home delivery for about 1 year as package handler. Now have my CDL-A permit. And, plan to attend local college for CDL school beginning Aug 28th. Stopped over at FedEx Freight this AM after my night shift to inquire about thier expectations. Doubles/triples, Haz-Mat, and 1 yr experience. Yes, my school choice works well.

Unfortunately, my experience over at Ground/Home Delivery has not impressed me with FedEx. A friend/driver is encouraging me to "come over" to the um...you know...the...um...competitor.

Please help me out with any testimony you have.

Thanks 1,000,000
WGL

I say, GO BOY! Join the best LTL company in the world! Ive been at CF, Central, SAIA, Overnite, and I would trade a minute to go back.....FXFE is the best job Ive ever had as a driver, Bonuses, OT after 8, top scale, benefits, you name it, and overall company policy is better than any Ive been at before, plus a potential for massive growth for the future, go now before its too late!

Welcome Elijah777 !
Did you go to a FXF customer center and ask about the dock to driver program ?
This would be the way to go for you.

Smokestack said:
Welcome Elijah777 !
Did you go to a FXF customer center and ask about the dock to driver program ?
This would be the way to go for you.
Smoke hit that one right on the head, driver program is perfect for someone lacking the experience. Come on and join the team & welcome to truckinboards. :smilies-19296:

Thanks Grizly this is the best thing for him and it will save him $5000 too.
Hope he comes to FXF we need the good drivers.

I would Just like to take time out to tell everyone that I'm offically a FXF Member as of 7/24/06 in HSG . I finished my dock training and start Driver Training on Tuesday Aug.15...So far I'm very pleased with what I am seeing with management and the operation.I'm very excited about what the future holds for me at FXF and hopefully next week at this time I'll be an official Driver....Also, thanks again to Smokestack and everyone else who helped me with accurate and helpful information when I was making my decision to hire on and while I was going through the lengthy hiring process.....

Thanks for taking time to offer feedback!

A couple of things to clarify: the cost for school training is THIS YEAR being supplemented by State. Its only $900 for the 5 weeks training. Thus, I originally figured it would give me more options re: who to drive for.
Still, I'd be willing to do the dock to driver program. From anyone who's gone this route...about how much dock time did you put in?
I'll be calling the terminal this Mon. for more info re that. Why do you suppose this program is not presented more? (The official FedEx website never addresses it) I mean, if they could use drivers, then why not say so? I'll be keeping you updated.

Skidmark said:
I would Just like to take time out to tell everyone that I'm offically a FXF Member as of 7/24/06 in HSG . I finished my dock training and start Driver Training on Tuesday Aug.15...So far I'm very pleased with what I am seeing with management and the operation.I'm very excited about what the future holds for me at FXF and hopefully next week at this time I'll be an official Driver....Also, thanks again to Smokestack and everyone else who helped me with accurate and helpful information when I was making my decision to hire on and while I was going through the lengthy hiring process.....

Congrats to you ....

All jobs have their problems from time to time but I really like my job here.

Good Luck to you and keep that driving record clean and remember, safety first.

You can hustle to the customers door, hustle to your truck but when nyou get behind that wheel, the hustle stops

the one thing that will ruin you in this business is accidents.

Be careful

Yay Skidmark !
We were all pulling for you.
Drive well , be safe .
Smokestack

Skidmark,

Do me a favor: Tell us more. Where were you before going to FedEx? And were you CDL before going? How long did you do docks? That sort of thing...

Before FEDEX Freight ,I started my trucking At Old Dominion (Not A bad place to work if your wife carries the benefits through her job!),than I went to work for a friend of the family hauling ceiling tile to the Northeast.Again not a bad gig but a small guy just couldn't provide the quality benefits that a larger company can..So I started looking again, after alot of asking questions and looking at the wanted ads in the paper I settled on FedEx because the hourly rate was good enough to provide me with a good living and I wouldn't have to work 65 or 70 hrs.to do it....Also they have very reasonable Health Insurance and a good 401K plan. So far I'm confident that I have settled in on a solid company that seems to do things right and it is a place where I can take pride in my work...Of course, these are only my initial observations and only time will tell how things will work out...

True oh so true, Jeff Accidents can turn a good thing into a nightmare, not only for you, and the company, Ive seen some good hands het in trouble by not being safe, heck, just slow down a little and pay attention, we had a driver who is still on thin ice for tapping a car from behind at a red light.....no excuse.

Skidmark said:
Skidmark - I'm in the middle of the hiring process at HSG for the Driver Apprentice Program. I have been going through the process for about 2 to 3 months now. My paperwork has been sent to headquarters. Do you have any idea of how long it took you to hear back officially? I have been hearing great things about FXF and especially HSG. I'd just like to get some feedback from someone who has and is going through the process at HSG. Thanks.

I'm not sure how long it takes for someone going through the Driver Apprentice Program ,But to get through the three stages of the hiring process I bet Start to Finished took close to 8 weeks or more... I think they are very fussy with the backround checks...