I-80 question.

Discussion in 'Fedex Freight' started by Dirt Pusher, Jun 15, 2017.

1. Dirt Pusher

Dirt Pusher New Member

Taking a road trip from Ukiah, CA to Cheyenne, WY down I-80. Just curious as to how steep the grades as well as road conditions. I've never really driven in the mountains before. Any advice from my fellow Fed Ex freight coworkers would be appreciated.

2. FedexLube

FedexLube Well-Known Member

Put the hammer down son! Nice 7% grades

3. suzy1052

suzy1052 Active Member

Might still be snowing on Donner's lol. If you're not towing anything you'll be fine...if you are take it easy. There are only you a few major grades from CA to Cheyenne.

4. joes bar and grill

joes bar and grill Well-Known Member

And you are going across I 80 not down.

Ump likes this.
  5. BIG R GUY

BIG R GUY Part time Coop Dispatch driver

Ask big Dave if you could borrow his hat. He takes it off on downgrades and holds it out the window. It Catches so much air, that it is like a hand held jake brake!!!! Will help slow you down to safe speeds...

6. Dick Dastardly

Dick Dastardly Drat, Double Drat, and Triple Drat!

I used to knock it out of gear on three sisters in Wyoming back when I still ran the road. It's the only time I had a triple digit truck.
    :17142:

FedexLube and Redracer3136 like this.
  7. Richard Cranium

Richard Cranium Well-Known Member

What will you be driving? There's really nothing worse than the hill between Willits and Ukiah going east. What jumps up and bites truck drivers going west across Donner is that it is 38 miles of short downgrades that lull you into a false sense of security with the last drops being the worst.
    Highway 20 between Clear Lake and I-5 has steeper grades than any that you will find on 80.

8. seabreeze

seabreeze Not Well Known Member, 60 Year Teamster Member

We would unlatch on Dairy Hill and Key Largo hill on old 29 before I85 was complete
    With a heavy load you could almost hit 62
    Dick, are you familiar with those between Charl. and Concord?

9. Dirt Pusher

Dirt Pusher New Member

Driving a 4 wheeler just passed Donner and no snow on the roads yet! I'm from the southeast and we don't have mountains LOL

10. Richard Cranium

Richard Cranium Well-Known Member

True that, no mountains east of the Rockies.

11. Dick Dastardly

You mean Sun-Drop country? Yes sir I do.

12. Redracer3136

Redracer3136 BANNED

When I ran the west coast we used to roll off Cabbage and knock it outta gear once we rounded the last curve...of course once you rounded that last curve, you could see forever!!
    :smilie93c peelout:

13. vongrimmenstein

vongrimmenstein Well-Known Member

Parleys Canyon westbound in to SL can be a little dicey. If in a semi & have a Jake Brake use it & save on the brake pads. Donner's Pass the same way. Rule of thumb for descending a steep grade. Start out in the highest gear you would use to climb it. Always worked for me.The most dangerous pass in the country back in the 60 & 70's without equal was the drop off on US 95 going in to Lewiston ID. Many truck drivers were killed there. Back then this hill was the kind that if you lost control of your speed & crashed, they came with a body bag, not an ambulance. Here is a interesting link to that section of road. If you do a little research you can see the HUGE difference between the road then & now. Idaho DOT web page has some info on it.von.
    https://www.truckersforum.net/forum/threads/runaway-truck-ramp.77349/page-2

A great video of the old road. Even with new pavement, you miss a turn, be distracted for just a second, & you can say hello to Jesus. On 2 lane mountain roads like this back years ago, you learned how to drive, or you had a very short stent in driving a big rig.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2017
  14. seabreeze

Wouldn't go so far as to say that,you should have tried Fancy Gap on old 52 or Hickory Nut gorge on 74 back in the 4 axle days,
    think you would have a different view.

15. vongrimmenstein

I have to admit the steepest grade east of the Mississippi I ever traversed was I-80 in PA. I was fired from 1 & quit the other when I started to refuse loads east of Indy. 95% of my OTR in the USA was out west. Lived in SLC for 4 years & drove out of there. Delivered off road recapped tires to mines & farm tractor tire dealers. We delivered to 22 mines out west. The largest tire made in the world we delivered. About 10 feet tall without the rim. Recapped they weighed about 5,000 lb. Talk about off road trucking, that was it. Back then most roads leading to the mine area were gravel with an oil base to keep the road intact. Kind of like the Al Can before it was paved all the way to Alaska. Now days most are shut down due to the EPA. And most precious metals come from overseas, NOT the good old USA. The metals are still in the ground, but to expensive to mine under current regs. Companies overseas have no EPA to raise their cost. von.

16. Dick Dastardly

Don't forget the 8% Monteagle.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2017
  17. seabreeze

Right,and forgot Jellico

18. Ump

Ump Big Dave's and Billy Lo's love child.

Try US6 Loveland Pass with loaded twins grossing 80,000. Don't care how many times you do it, that seat gets up in there.

Gunner283 and joes bar and grill like this.
  19. 00mustang

00mustang JUST LIVING THE DREAM

In the fog at night real nice

20. vongrimmenstein

Are you saying that when you start to drop off the top of that mountain, your are focused? Thats when you stop, check your breaks, and say hail Mary mother full of grace. von.

Ump likes this.