I 95 at I 395 finally re-opens

There should be jersey barriers on that strectch of highway.That whole I-95 from new york to Rhode Island is nothing but a death trap anyway.One of the worst interstate systems in the country!

The Smith System teaches us drivers to stay back from the pack,our group.
We are much safer with fewer vehicles around us.

we have to always be totally focused on our activities when we are working.
After all thats one reason we are considered professionals.
We are to be the examples of safe drivers.

It another classic CT turnpkie bad spot.

It's on down grade with a ramp coming on from the right, a sweeping right hand turn on to I95 with a exit ramp to I395 on the left.

Can't count the times I've seen fourwheelers enter the highway and cut across three lanes to get to I395 in front of traffic that is shadowed by an overpass.

It's a classic "cherry spot" you need momentum to climb the next grade either on 95 or 395 and the speed limit is 55.

I hate to see a tragedy like this. 95 has been realitly safe the last couple of years in the southern New England areas, but latley there seems to be a rash of major accidents and deaths

Phyllis Martino saw it coming.

The tanker truck in front of her had been swerving in and out of lanes and riding the bumper of a minivan.

Martino said she saw a tractor-trailer pass the tanker truck on the right. The two trucks had been taking turns passing each other.

Suddenly, Martino saw the tanker truck, about 100 feet ahead of her and still in the left lane, start to drift. It ran onto the left-hand shoulder and hit a guardrail, kicking up dirt and dust,

So why are we blaming the highway for some dumb a$$ truck driver. We see it everyday dare devil truck drivers in a hurry. I admit there are a lot of dumb a$$ four wheelers out there but remember some of the same dumb a$$ four wheelers drives trucks. The highway system is as safe as we make it. And yes i know that section of highway use to drive through there six times a week

you sure

Phyllis Martino saw it coming.

The tanker truck in front of her had been swerving in and out of lanes and riding the bumper of a minivan.

Martino said she saw a tractor-trailer pass the tanker truck on the right. The two trucks had been taking turns passing each other.

Suddenly, Martino saw the tanker truck, about 100 feet ahead of her and still in the left lane, start to drift. It ran onto the left-hand shoulder and hit a guardrail, kicking up dirt and dust,

So why are we blaming the highway for some dumb a$$ truck driver. We see it everyday dare devil truck drivers in a hurry. I admit there are a lot of dumb a$$ four wheelers out there but remember some of the same dumb a$$ four wheelers drives trucks. The highway system is as safe as we make it. And yes i know that section of highway use to drive through there six times a week
you sure she was not putting on make at the time or busy on a cell phone call,keep in mind most automobiles feel we are driving unsafe if we pass them ,even if there going 45 in a 55 , lets not make him guilty (he's already dead) before the results are in. its just a bad area and if you spent that much time on it you have to agree, the answer 3 lanes (never happen) need at least another 25 deaths. wake up ct dot

Response

Ummm, no, I was NOT putting on make up or making a cell call. I looked at the clock on my dashboard when I heard little pings on my car - it was the debris from the truck and the guard rail he was scraping against. Then I had to watch the destruction that happened for the next 3+ hours as they would not let me leave the scene.

I had to watch as they pulled out the truck driver from the southbound truck, who had been doing his job and not harming anyone, in order to take him to the hospital.

As an FYI - my ex-boyfriend and good friend is a truck driver. And, my father owns a trucking company. I have learned to respect - and be wary of at times - all styles of trucks and cars. Many four wheelers do not respect trucks I will agree with that. But, please, do not put me in the same class.

It was very hard for me to tell the story as it happened. Mainly because I could see the man I was talking about dead in what was left of the cab of his truck. But, barring any mechanical reasons for the accident, it seems it was his fault, period. And, two other lives were lost. Not to mention I am now having nightmares and MY new car is damaged. But to put it in perspective, I as the lucky one.

So, sorry to disappoint you - I am not your strerotypical woman.

God Bless and stay safe.

Phyllis Martino