ABF | I am going to think about it really hard.

I'm happy to see the majority of men and women are acting civil on these discussion boards. This contract may or may not be a serious tipping point for our employer and ourselves. I'll start with a little background info on myself before giving the reasons why I'll be voting no on this proposal.

I'm 35 years old with slightly over 7 years with ABF and about 11 years driving total. All accident free I'm proud to say. Also I'm a road driver.

Now onto the reasons I'll be voting no. First and most importantly, I'm unable to accept the local grievance procedures being taken away. I don't see how voiding that will be much of a cost saver at all. Second is the vacation time. Under the current proposal, a man will have to work 8 years to receive a second week of vacation. Someone please tell me what other carrier, union or non union, ltl or truckload makes a driver wait that long? Not even the so called driver mills like Werner and Schneider make a driver wait that long (maybe because drivers don't usually make that long at those places). Third and also very important are the proposed wage concessions. Frankly, with those concessions, this is no longer a very good job. At least not for a road driver. Currently I would guess I average about $1600 a week gross. That's working the required 6 days a week unless I'm low on hours, then I'll do 5. Now some of those are lay down runs which require a driver to take at least 10hrs off away from home, sometimes a lot more than that. What I'm trying to get to is, with all the hours we put in and the time off away from home, I'd be much better off getting a local job with a steady schedule for less pay. There are no shortage of driving jobs where I could work local, maybe a few more hours but all time off at home and still be able to gross $1200-$1500. I also wouldn't have to work 8yrs to get my second week of vacation!

To conclude, I begrudge nobody for voting which ever way is best for them and their families. But I if this is the companies best offer I'd really like to see what they really wanted. I'm not afraid of looking for work if that is what it comes to. Which with the new subcontracting language I'll most likely have to do anyway. That is a bigger issue than most people seem to think it is. I've protected my license like it was my way of making a living and feel I'd be an asset to many other carriers. My no vote is because I'm standing up for what I believe is fair; and I don't think what is being offered is.

I'm happy to see the majority of men and women are acting civil on these discussion boards. This contract may or may not be a serious tipping point for our employer and ourselves. I'll start with a little background info on myself before giving the reasons why I'll be voting no on this proposal.

I'm 35 years old with slightly over 7 years with ABF and about 11 years driving total. All accident free I'm proud to say. Also I'm a road driver.

Now onto the reasons I'll be voting no. First and most importantly, I'm unable to accept the local grievance procedures being taken away. I don't see how voiding that will be much of a cost saver at all. Second is the vacation time. Under the current proposal, a man will have to work 8 years to receive a second week of vacation. Someone please tell me what other carrier, union or non union, ltl or truckload makes a driver wait that long? Not even the so called driver mills like Werner and Schneider make a driver wait that long (maybe because drivers don't usually make that long at those places). Third and also very important are the proposed wage concessions. Frankly, with those concessions, this is no longer a very good job. At least not for a road driver. Currently I would guess I average about $1600 a week gross. That's working the required 6 days a week unless I'm low on hours, then I'll do 5. Now some of those are lay down runs which require a driver to take at least 10hrs off away from home, sometimes a lot more than that. What I'm trying to get to is, with all the hours we put in and the time off away from home, I'd be much better off getting a local job with a steady schedule for less pay. There are no shortage of driving jobs where I could work local, maybe a few more hours but all time off at home and still be able to gross $1200-$1500. I also wouldn't have to work 8yrs to get my second week of vacation!

To conclude, I begrudge nobody for voting which ever way is best for them and their families. But I if this is the companies best offer I'd really like to see what they really wanted. I'm not afraid of looking for work if that is what it comes to. Which with the new subcontracting language I'll most likely have to do anyway. That is a bigger issue than most people seem to think it is. I've protected my license like it was my way of making a living and feel I'd be an asset to many other carriers. My no vote is because I'm standing up for what I believe is fair; and I don't think what is being offered is.

Excellent post.

Btw, we're twins! I'm 35, a road driver, hitting my 8th year anniversary in Aug and also accident free.

Scary!

I totally agree with you. I am also a coming up on 8 years accident free over a million miles. For what I do and for how we have to work I don't feel it's fair to take 20k from me over the life of the contract. I was getting close to 3 weeks of vacation now I'd have to go to 15 years.

I'm most worried about loosing an additional 6% on top of what we loose to the rail. It would affect me loosing runs.

I have been looking at other jobs too many non union companies would have better work faster trucks assigned trucks better home time and better vacation policy than us.

Please vote NO this is a very bad deal.

So guys, what is a good deal....everyone says vote NO, bad deal...what is the right deal?

No one seems to have an answer...hmmm
The pay cut was bad enough, then they had to get greedy & throw vacations, electronic devices,road work ect. They did the same thing last concession vote if they went for 10% it would have flew seeing how close the vote was. But no they got greedy & went for 15% just like yrc got. The only difference is Abf was not in the shape yrc was....

The pay cut was bad enough, then they had to get greedy & throw vacations, electronic devices,road work ect. They did the same thing last concession vote if they went for 10% it would have flew seeing how close the vote was. But no they got greedy & went for 15% just like yrc got. The only difference is Abf was not in the shape yrc was....

The pay cut and change in some work rules for road drivers were ok with me. But the lost vacation, electronic SPY device's and 6% of road work lost is a deal breaker with me.
Its a no vote here.

The pay cut and change in some work rules for road drivers were ok with me. But the lost vacation, electronic SPY device's and 6% of road work lost is a deal breaker with me.
Its a no vote here.

I'm with you I was willing to take some things I wasn't happy about but this is just way to far out of line.

How could anyone vote yes for this pos? The company needing to save money, is understandable. But spy devices, cutting vacations, sending work to non union carriers???. Thats a stab in the back. Not money savings. With the spy devices, and the right to fire you for stealing time, you will be walking on egg shells every day!! They could see you talking to another worker on the dock, call you in the office, and fire you for not working hard enough. And their video tape would be the evidence they need to hold their decision. You voting yes, gives them the right to do this. Your "yes" vote tells them that you are ok with them doing things this way. And you are ok with giving up a weeks vacation. And ok with them sending road work to other carriers. And oh yeah, ok with crossing job classifications. Meaning, they could make any employee do what ever they want you to do. No matter what your job class is! And a yes vote is saying that you are ok with all of this!! Think about it!! Its not about them just saving money. Its a royal screwing!! If your union rights mean nothing to you, and all you care about is your money, then go to Conway. They will treat you like crap, make you jump when they say jump, fire you on the spot for any reason, and not care at all about saving jobs!! But hey, at least you will make more money!!!

051 here.
Look, miss, ( I say "miss" because I'm almost sure you're a female. )
You say noone here is offering up a Reasonable solution. RIGHT!!
Its NOT our place to do so.
Your own pension and office wage freeze
Can't be addressed by us union members.
You can object to or beg or protest your situation to your bosses.
We,who DO get a vote on our future,only have a choice on what is placed in front of us ,and only the most
Naïve,thoughtless suckers would vote
For the trash in front of us.
So,you white collar people can work out
Your dilema among yourselves. ( you could unionize!!!)
I think, what you're really here for,and what you're REALLY asking is
"Just how much of this trash contract will
You teamsters take when we bring it back
For the next vote"?

Excellent. You open the subcontracting door, and I promise you will be stampeded in to unemployment. I was told many times UE freight was going to be limited to certain zip codes and they would not be loading regular freight. Now they are pulling sets every night & loading them to the max, with over 50% being the former line haul freight. Fill the empty space & make more $. I am all for that, but don’t tell me you want to use 6% of capacity to move freight & empties with no-union drivers and it will be limited to that. Please, all evidence to the contrary. Once again No NO & NO. von

Serious questions for you guys. I am reading that you only get 2 weeks vacation. How many other types of days do you get. We get 3 weeks untill 8 years then 4 but thats total PTO days off.