Holland | I am the new recruiter and I want to know "whats up with Holland"

Holland Recruiter

USF Holland Recruiter
Credits
Hi, I am new to Holland and wanted to get some seriously honest feedback. I am putting myself in the hot seat...so bring it on! Good, bad & ugly. And no, I am not gonna try to find you or tattle...its my job to improve.

Its ok! :)
I know there are issues, and I want to hear them. I am all about being upfront, so I expect people to be the same with me....respectfully of course, from both sides. I have only been at Holland for 90 days and have HQ side and some Terminal side now wanting drivers & dockworkers side.

Here's the pitch I would use. We don't pay well and there's no pension but we let you work a gazillion hours, so if you're ready to sign your life over to us, welcome aboard.

I never thought I would see the day that a union outfit would have to hire a recruiter to get people to work for them. That just goes to show you that this has become a bottom feeder job. Yes Mr. Recruiter good luck working for the great YRCW.
You do have a great bunch of employees being led around by third string management.

Well, first is Ms. Recruiter. Then I say, I dont work for YRC - I work for Holland. I know its splitting hairs yet its nessecary to say such. A lot of union outfits have recruiters, they just are not out pitching like I am so your just not aware. And our requirements for hire are high, this makes it more difficult espeically with I came from a private/non-union and the pay here is still better than their top pay, which is above the average pay industry wide.

Gazillion hours? Please explain because hours worked = hours paid. And Drivers can only work up to 14 per day so if there is an issue with forcing illegal working hours I would want to address that quickly.

There's nothing illegal about working 14 hrs. a day. Some people have no lives and may find that suitable. If this had been the norm 40 yrs. ago when I got into trucking, I would have gone elsewhere. Now I'm out, and not a minute too soon.

Well EXCUSE me Ms Recruiter!!
Well, first is Ms. Recruiter. Then I say, I dont work for YRC - I work for Holland. I know its splitting hairs yet its nessecary to say such. A lot of union outfits have recruiters, they just are not out pitching like I am so your just not aware. And our requirements for hire are high, this makes it more difficult espeically with I came from a private/non-union and the pay here is still better than their top pay, which is above the average pay industry wide.

Gazillion hours? Please explain because hours worked = hours paid. And Drivers can only work up to 14 per day so if there is an issue with forcing illegal working hours I would want to address that quickly.

High standards? Like the brain dead part-timers? I believe our recruiting goes; "got a pulse, you'll do"! Remember to tell'em "WE TIP, `CAUSE OUR UPPER MANAGEMENT IS WORTH IT!!!!!!!!
And Y'all thought ya tipped just @ Restaurants!!! HAHAHA.........

Don't forget to tell them we have the nicest and safest trucks on the road! none of the trailers have holes in the floor and rusted all out!

There it is right there!
"We pay you well and its legal so do it and don't complain."
Ridiculous on the face of it. How are you going to attract good drivers with that kind of attitude? "We pay you so whatever we do to you is OK."
We have lives (or want to) and don't wish to spend all of it working or sleeping, but are told to do it or quit.
"If you don't like it go somewhere else" (which I did, it was pretty easy with a perfect driving record and 11 years at Holland)

The inability for management to see employees as human beings and the complete lack of respect for what the employees have given back are the biggest problems at Holland in my opinion.
The only reason there are any left now is the love of the job.
And by the way, Dayton, Fedex, Con-way and R&L all pay better than Holland.

The standards to maintain are high for a truck driver and are not yet fully appreciated by the the industry in general.
By the time CSA2010 gets done shaking out and more restrictive health standards are put into place the driver shortage will, by itself, put some companies out of business.
Good luck, you picked a tough row to hoe.

Last edited by a moderator:
This company, and the union do not feel they need to make the drivers happy in any way, I voted no, and they steal money from my check. The company and union do not follow any rules to place a driver where where his seniority places him, stewards are no help even as drivers they answer to the puppetmaster and cannot find any way to help. They force you to work in an terminal so far from home you do not get the rest you need and it costs in travel expense, Company back in pension payments at 25%, how long will it take to get the few years i need? when the company calls me an Orphan and tries to make me leave. Union stewards who find the need to threaten and try to provoke a response from a driver which would get the driver fired. The company has turned driver on driver and the brotherhood is no more, it is everyman for himself. so much is wrong on this job and if i do get my pension...well then an end is near!

holland is a goood company to work for
there are some issues (yelow) but overall it is a good company

Last edited by a moderator:
I had 2 paragraphs typed and then deleted it all. Basically Holland is not the company it used to be. The majority of the employees still try very hard but management makes it more difficult to serve the customer correctly everyday.

Hi, I am new to Holland and wanted to get some seriously honest feedback. I am putting myself in the hot seat...so bring it on! Good, bad & ugly. And no, I am not gonna try to find you or tattle...its my job to improve.
First off let me welcome you to Holland.

I have been with Holland for 17 yrs as a linehaul driver. Most of the problems that we have are result of the influence of YRCW management and their ideas. We have been saddled with numerous issues, (givebacks, work rule changes, loss of pension) because of poor management both Holland and YRCW, not because of the employees'. There have been decisions made about this company that were not made with the best interest of the company or its employees', and yet we (union and non-union) have had to suffer.

I still believe that Holland is a good place to work, we have a work force second to none. Your quote is quite interesting, for I believe at one time, we all loved our jobs here, matter of fact I would say that 99 percent of us went above and beyond for this company, not for the money, but because we respected this company and what they did for us. That has been lost in the past 6 yrs. If you can find a way to restore that feeling that we all had, then young lady you would make one hell of a great recruiter.

I know that you asked for honest answers here, I have answered you with as much honesty as I can without going into great lengths. I do wish you the best in your job.

If you work for the Main Holland office then I'm sorry to inform you but you are YRC. You are a puppet of YRC and will do exactly as YRC tells you. As for working at Holland, the company cares not for their employees or customers. An management will spend a lot of time and money trying to screw both over. Lots of made up and useless positions for friends of management that need a job. That is why we now have a recruiter. As an employee you are guilty until you can prove you are innocent. Do not break a nail performing your duties as you WILL be given a letter. This is the Smid way of managing. A pissed off employee will work harder for you. Of course if this were true Holland would make a Billion dollars per quarter. The equipment was good but we sold off all the good trailers to keep room for the Red Star crap that was given to us. Getting "new" tractors but they do have 3 million Yellow freight miles on them but they are new to us so we need to be happy. We did own our terminals but Yellow needed to burn some cash so they were sold off. If you want to be a part time dock worker the only qualification is a face because we have photo ID's. Shall I get into the incompetence of the management or do you have enough to sell your product?