Holland | I am the new recruiter and I want to know "whats up with Holland"

Griz said:
theft, drugs, drinking and wrecks will get you disqualified.

But not always. At holland a guy who got fired for rolling a roadway truck got hired and turned out to be a very good worker and a good guy. Another destroyed a holland truck and got on at another carrier.
But with csa2010 now it might be a lot tougher.

Do some past history study of the company when Mike Gorno was still president of the co. He had the respect of everybody at Holland because he respected our family values and understood the importance of home time for drivers. He also had open access to any employee who had a question about a pay shortage on a check, about a work issue, safety issue, equipment issue, all you had to do is call him at his office (which I did several times) He would listen to your side and either say "I agree with you, you should have been paid. It will be on your next check" (it always was) or he'd say "no hard feelings, but I disagree" "I suggest you file a grievance with your Local BA, that's what they get paid to do and the committee will decide" He said he appreciated the opportunity to settle a problem and be fair about it and avoid a grievance if at all possible. That created mutual trust and respect. Most drivers at the time worked harder and longer and overlooked minor pay discrepancies because of it. That, unfortunately, is a thing of the past. Now it's "Do it or take a bus home" or " If you don't like it, file on it" It may be too late, but we have to get back to the idea that we (Holland) are all on the same team, (management, supervisors, drivers (city and road), dock, office, shop) and stop the nit-picking tit-for-tat stuff going on between employees, company and union. Most of this is because of YRC is pulling the strings and installing the people in management and dispatch who apparently believe intimidation and threats work better than the mutual respect that used to exist at Holland. This has never worked at any company and never will. The productivity, quality of work, attendance, company loyalty and attitude all go right in the toilet with profits close behind. Yellow is in trouble now because this has been their management style for many years. Holland began to change soon after Mike Gorno left and Yellow purchased the co. We all can learn from past mistakes (and good times) and it's time for Holland to try to go back to what worked in the past. I have worked line haul at both Yellow in the '90's and Holland for many years after that. It's so obvious which management style works best for all parties. Let's TRY to get back to what works in spite of YRC (Yellow) pulling the strings. Sadly, it may not be possible. It may already be too late. Holland and YRC needs to do what the baseball teams do when things start looking bad. FIRE THE MANAGERS.

You are 100% correct Speedball. The problem with correcting the attitude problem is that our local management teams have been screwed over by YRCW also. They are so pissed that their attitudes could actually be worse than ours. Personally, I think that it's beyond fixing, but that is just my opinion. As long as YRCW is pulling the strings, nothing will change.

And by the way.....I am really good friends with one of Mike Gorno's nephews. According to my friend, Mike always spoke positively about us employees. He didn't just tell us what we wanted to here, then shaft us afterwards. He actually supported us employees, even in conversations with his family. And look at the difference in the outcome of the personal approach versus trying to shove everything down the employees throat. I've told my friend to let Uncle Mike know that we need him back here..... and soon.

No wonder Holland fired Misfit. Obviously, all he did was flap his jaws. This was one of the only GOOD decisions Holland made in recent years. I feel sorry for his wife (or boyfriend???) if he has one. They would have to listen to this crap all the time. Dayton Frt. will get sick of it, too, at some point, he will again be fired (no grievance procedure there), then he will be whining about Dayton. While I agree with some of his complaints about the "new" Holland way of doing things and crapping on good people who just need a good job without being jerked around (with the union's blessing) as a casual being treated like sub-human day labor standing out in front of Home Depot every morning. Anyhow, enough is enough. We get it. You hate Holland. You love Dayton.----------For now-------------check back in 6 mo. or so. On second thought, don't. Just look in the mirror, you may find the majority of your problems there. Just talk less, work more. Everybody will surely appreciate it.

Welcome aboard Ms. Holland Recruiter, Do you have the feeling of impending doom yet? You are witnessing what is left of a once proud, very profitable company that YRC has dragged down to what it is today and the need for a recruiter such as yourself to entice otherwise intelligent people to work here. You have your work cut out for you! A very good recruiter must have recruited you !!!!!! I can personally vouch for what Hayseed (post 53) said about there used to be no need for a recruiter (or even a newspaper ad) to get Holland job applicants. People were nearly beating down the doors because of Holland's great reputation. When I interviewed for the job in '92 with the terminal mgr. the stack of applications behind his desk was literally 2 feet high !!!! How things change when Yellow's (mis)management team gets their fingers involved. Good luck (if you haven't jumped ship already by the time this is posted !!!!!) you'll need it.

Speedball, you probably won't like this post, but the truth of the matter is that this once proud and profitable company now has less to offer than most non union outfits. All you have to do is look at the pay to figure this out. Full scale members are working for 15% less pay and 75% less pension then just a few short years ago. New hires take a hell of a hit, starting at 75% of scale and then a 15% cut right off the top (60%). They are strapped into "Poverty Row" Velocity runs that don't generate squat for pay (This is on the Road side) or held as "casuals" or 10% er's in the P&D operation. How to you sustain a living on $625. a week after taxes and giveback if you are the sole breadwinner? YOU DON'T! ANY OF THE YRC Companies are having extreme difficulties in filling job slots because of this current situation. I agree with you in your statement of firing some of these "YES SIR" managers and getting rid of the deadwood and deadhead thinkers, starting with Bill Zollars and his entire executive management team. THEY ARE the reason that this corporation is in the position of near bankruptcy today. The mantra of fear intimidation and compliance starts from the top and works down to the lowest level of manager. We as labor enjoy a "Swiss Cheese" contract that when exposed to a subtle breeze makes a howling sound that frightens animals, women and children. I know, I've been there, done that and got the marks to show for it. Quit your bitchin, suck it up, lock & load 6 full 30 round magazines, get provisions for 6 days, and get ready to move out in five minutes! Dismissed!

Speedball- The "squeaky wheel" gets the grease, at most places, fired, or disappear in most union shops, a myth of course. (If you read my posts, you know where I work, and probably will be begging to work there for, soon, it pays more than unemployment.) You know like the people at YRC used to do-"want to work there" with applications a "foot high" at most YRC terminals in 1970.) You see, the slackers don't like changes that makes them have "work for a living" or make the "evil company" a fair profit. Seem's like YRC got wind that too many driver's "liked" working there, and had to change it. Taking all the fun out of union driving, turning it into WORK.- And go marry YOUR boyfriend in NY- it's legal now- sicko, oops, Speedball. I still have morals. I can't speak for this country anymore, you'll get censored you know. From another previous post, I like driving my Honda to work, I got tired of pushing/towing my Ford, and carpooling while it is in the shop, or having to buy two Fords in the time it takes to retire one Honda, you know planned obsolescence? Keep Americans working. That won't work in the new Green Society. My Ford was made in Mexico and my Mercury in Canada, I guess North America is the "new America" (SPP.gov.) I live in Ohio and my Honda was assembled there, in America. I guess non-union should support non-union too, it makes it so much easier to shop. If you don't like it, why do I see so many of you at Walmart? Hypocrites. Welcome to the NWO.

P.S. Get used to doing more "work", taking "five people to change a lightbulb" is no longer feasible, if you want to remain competitive today. (From a previous post, stating a driver HAD to put his trailer to a door, or putting his unit away, oh, forbid he has to fuel it too. Something about starving people from doing "their jobs", what a laugh.) Talk about whining. Yes, we at our evil companies do this everyday, it's called working 12 hours a day, quit if you don't like it. Profit sharing checks make for a nice bonus, for what they DON'T pay us for, of course. We stupid people usually invest it for our retirement/401k, more than what will be left for you from your pension or social security (non-existant), that would take too much thinking on your part @ work. Try READING something like Dave Ramsey. As for driving- I wouldn't have it any other way, AND definetly wouldn't trust anyone else to do what's MY responsibility. (Hooking/breaking sets, dockwork, fueling, etc., are your responsiblity). It's called pre-and post-tripping, safe loading etc.. and it's a part of truck driving. The weight loss doesn't hurt you either. With the new CVSA rules, YOU are responsible and YOU will pay, with your CDL, not the company, that includes what's in the trailer, whether you loaded it or not. They love leaking hazmat. Your union dues are obviously not paying enough "to the right people", anymore- since more and more of your units are being pulled over now, (a sight you never saw in the past.) Maybe "paying the officer off" now is going to be your responsibility, not mine or my business.

I'm glad YRC released me, it looks like they saved me from being unemployed in the future. I hope someone has room for you, with your choices of "union" employment running out, extinction is inevitable. For YRC to survive -"dumping the teamster's" is their only hope, I'm not the first to say it, wake up (<$1.00 a share, please) Where's your brothers now?, The mule train is dead. UPS didn't want any part of you, how much did they pay to "get out" (ALOT) and fund the union's future retiree's? That won't last forever. Just ask any YRC retiree WORKING now at any job they can find, how great their retirement benefits (pension) are. Why are they still working? For a hobby? Central Transport might buy you, I heard. Are they union? Doesn't matter- YOU have no voice anymore. Where's your democratic party now? Oh yeah, in China, looks like your vote doesn't count either. Hey, since Dayton might be YOUR only choice, with so many ex-yrc, casual failures, working there anyway, making it a better place, (another previous post) you'll feel at home. Maybe you can be a union organizer for them Speedball, please, make it a BETTER place to work for, and for what "you can do for them", I'm sure someone will appreciate it. You know, talk less and work more, the gov't likes to keep you stupid, you're easier to control right? The same for where you work, but the union talks for you. Alot of good they did for you, or what they will be doing for your future. Good luck.

And don't bother going to church, since you don't go anyway liars- Just take a look at the wonderful society of immoral people we have.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, I should have included Pop-a-boo-eee (SP) he's probably one of your heros- now that's balance. And I stated' "YOU" need balance, listening to one side all the time tends to distort your thinking. Liberal or conservative. Not to mention- it's boring. Before you complain or vote, you should have a little understanding of both sides good and bad, it's called balance, or you can be- heaven forbid, independent- "one who can think on his own, or not subject to the control of others, free", or without encouragement of others, something unions frown upon. Hip-hop, country or comedy on satellite or terrestrial (AM/FM) radio doesn't count for education, got her done? I don't have time for T.V., so I can't tell you, what to watch,or what's worth watching- maybe PBS, since it's controlled by the government. They got in trouble for thinking- outside the box, this year didn't they? I guess they didn't agree with the big brother in charge. What rebels, free thinkers!. Aren't the unions controlled somewhat by the government? Oh yeah, the government is the largest union. Doesn't your union tell you who to support or what junk to buy?? (VOLT) I'm surprised that they don't tell you what to watch or listen to also. Or do they? Where do your union dues go and/or support? NPR, Mobil supports them (you probably boycott them too.), I'm sure teamsters do too. Air America, oh yeah, that failed-no audience. Why do you think we are in the mess we're in? Keep beating the drums for that mule team, I think they're ready for the glue factory. Enjoy your changes to come, I hope you can adapt..2012 will be a blessing can't get any worse...

Last edited by a moderator:
To Misfit: A quote seems appropriate here "Arguing with a truck driver is like wrestling with a pig in the mud. After a while you realize the pig actually enjoys it" Anybody reading your rambling posts realize something is wrong. Maybe some couch time would help you deal with your anger. Good luck. Hope Dayton works out for you.

Speedball, you probably won't like this post, but the truth of the matter is that this once proud and profitable company now has less to offer than most non union outfits. All you have to do is look at the pay to figure this out. Full scale members are working for 15% less pay and 75% less pension then just a few short years ago. New hires take a hell of a hit, starting at 75% of scale and then a 15% cut right off the top (60%). They are strapped into "Poverty Row" Velocity runs that don't generate squat for pay (This is on the Road side) or held as "casuals" or 10% er's in the P&D operation. How to you sustain a living on $625. a week after taxes and giveback if you are the sole breadwinner? YOU DON'T! ANY OF THE YRC Companies are having extreme difficulties in filling job slots because of this current situation. I agree with you in your statement of firing some of these "YES SIR" managers and getting rid of the deadwood and deadhead thinkers, starting with Bill Zollars and his entire executive management team. THEY ARE the reason that this corporation is in the position of near bankruptcy today. The mantra of fear intimidation and compliance starts from the top and works down to the lowest level of manager. We as labor enjoy a "Swiss Cheese" contract that when exposed to a subtle breeze makes a howling sound that frightens animals, women and children. I know, I've been there, done that and got the marks to show for it. Quit your bitchin, suck it up, lock & load 6 full 30 round magazines, get provisions for 6 days, and get ready to move out in five minutes! Dismissed!
Sad, very sad what this company and the entire industry has become. I have 38 years in the industry, all of it in Central States and most of it in line haul. I remember when the teamsters could actually be called a "brotherhood" as printed on the teamster seal, but no more. It's all dog eat dog, step on the jr. man, take all the OT you can so the jr. man don't get any or won't be called back from lay-off. I'm grateful it wasn't that way when was a jr. man, way back in the day. Once hired, in 30 days, you were either on the list at top pay, or out the door. All the old timers were eager to show you the ropes and the tricks of the trade. I don't know why it takes 3 yrs. now to get to top scale. Do they think everybody these days are just slow learners ? Even if you come from another company with 20 yrs. experience, you need 3 yrs. to learn ? Makes no sense. All this came with the IBT stamp of approval. Expecting people to start at 60% pay is just wrong. Again it is with IBT stamp of approval. Sad, very sad

Sad, very sad what this company and the entire industry has become. I have 38 years in the industry, all of it in Central States and most of it in line haul. I remember when the teamsters could actually be called a "brotherhood" as printed on the teamster seal, but no more. It's all dog eat dog, step on the jr. man, take all the OT you can so the jr. man don't get any or won't be called back from lay-off. I'm grateful it wasn't that way when was a jr. man, way back in the day. Once hired, in 30 days, you were either on the list at top pay, or out the door. All the old timers were eager to show you the ropes and the tricks of the trade. I don't know why it takes 3 yrs. now to get to top scale. Do they think everybody these days are just slow learners ? Even if you come from another company with 20 yrs. experience, you need 3 yrs. to learn ? Makes no sense. All this came with the IBT stamp of approval. Expecting people to start at 60% pay is just wrong. Again it is with IBT stamp of approval. Sad, very sad

That is exactly how it worked for me back then and exactly how it need's to be again.

Ms Recruiter

I gave 12 years to Holland....until YRC closed our terminal in Mobile, Al...I opened the terminal and closed the terminal...I would in fact go back to Holland if offered...ONLY if Holland was COMPLETELY on its own with absolutely NO ties to YRC at all.