SAIA | I don't know what to call this but read and give me your two cents

Dracula

TB Veteran
Credits
This discussion came up at my barn. A city driver clocks in, logs in to the system, works his city hours, and then logs out but continues to be on the clock because he is working the dock. Some folks were saying, that once he logged off the truck, he could work whatever hours he wanted to even in excess of the 14 hour rule or the 2 hour extension because he had stopped being a city driver and had become a dock worker when he had logged out of the system.
My side of the argument, which by this time had escalated from a discussion to a loud argument, was that once the city guy had clocked in, then his limit was 14 hours or 16 with the 2 hour extension, which can only be used once per logbook reset.
Also,are Dock workers required to follow DOT rules or are they free to work whatever hours they want too?
Help

Too lazy post shift to grab the book, but driver is driver is driver. 70/8, 14 per day (one 16). Driving limited to 11. Correct me if I'm confused.

This discussion came up at my barn. A city driver clocks in, logs in to the system, works his city hours, and then logs out but continues to be on the clock because he is working the dock. Some folks were saying, that once he logged off the truck, he could work whatever hours he wanted to even in excess of the 14 hour rule or the 2 hour extension because he had stopped being a city driver and had become a dock worker when he had logged out of the system.
My side of the argument, which by this time had escalated from a discussion to a loud argument, was that once the city guy had clocked in, then his limit was 14 hours or 16 with the 2 hour extension, which can only be used once per logbook reset.
Also,are Dock workers required to follow DOT rules or are they free to work whatever hours they want too?
Help
I'm actually not sure. Is he considered a full time driver and not off the dock to driver program? I think only Safety would be able to anwser for certain or maybe HR.

Last edited:
As long as he doesn't get back in a truck he can work the dock as long as needed. But that being said he has to have 10 break before he drives again and the dock hours count against his 70 hour recap.
Yep. I dont have the fmcsr book in front of me but it says a driver may not drive after being on duty for 14 hours since the end of his/her last 10 hr reset, and may not drive more than 11 hrs in a day. Dockwork does not put you in violation of your 14 hour clock as it is not considered driving in terms of HOS. Driving a yard horse doesn't put you in violation of your 11 or 14 either as it is not subject to fmcsr if it is not driven on a road that is open to the public.

That's y I hate work offs cause when your on duty hours catch up with your driving hours then your driving hours tick down whether u driving or not.

The way I see it is, once he started his log that started his 14 hr rule,now when he gets back in he would have to go to on-duty not driving to work on dock. He is still doing work for the company so he couldn't log off- duty because he is still working for the company, 14 hr's your done. And how would he have enough hr's off duty to protect his start time the next day if he worked over 14 ? has to have 10 off to start again and why would you want to work that many hr's every day ? my home time is way more important than the money. "nuff said just my 2 cents enjoy the weekend and stay safe

That is what I meant. If we're that busy on the dock, then I would think his available hours would be more valuable on the road. But if you've ever had to log in to make an empty, it automatically logs you off v nomics. I'm not opposed to working as much as you want or getting the customers serviced. Slippery slope if there's a mishap.

Don't forget about the dark terminals folks. The city drivers are really combo dock and driver. Sometimes, even at 14 hours, it's not an option to just leave freight on the dock and go home. Fact is that if you work a 14 hour shift you must have 10 consecutive hours off before driving again. There are all sorts of regulations because Saia is a 24/7/365 operation. In my experience, the time clock and the electronic logs would keep me informed as to hours worked and hours available.

Not trying to crap in your guys driveway, but my understanding of the 2 hours past your 14 is it can only be used in case of road delay caused by accident, or traffic backup, or weather. You cannot say I have 1 sixteen hour day per week if I want it. Just sayin.

Your best bet is to contact your safety representative, or your regional operations manager to clarify. And do it via email so you have documentation. That way, in the event that things get sour you have a frame of reference. In the rare occasion that you would get nailed at a scale or something, it may affect your CSA score but that really is small potatoes. Ask upper management, document it, and move forward.

Not trying to crap in your guys driveway, but my understanding of the 2 hours past your 14 is it can only be used in case of road delay caused by accident, or traffic backup, or weather. You cannot say I have 1 sixteen hour day per week if I want it. Just sayin.
It can be used anytime has long has these 3 requirements are met....

(o) Property-carrying driver. A property-carrying driver is exempt from the requirements of Sec. 395.3(a)(2) if: (1) The driver has returned to the driver's normal work reporting location and the carrier released the driver from duty at that location for the previous five duty tours the driver has worked; (2) The driver has returned to the normal work reporting location and the carrier releases the driver from duty within 16 hours after coming on duty following 10 consecutive hours off duty; and (3) The driver has not taken this exemption within the previous 6 consecutive days, except when the driver has begun a new 7- or 8- consecutive day period with the beginning of any off-duty period of 34 or more consecutive hours as allowed by Sec. 395.3(c).