XPO | I fired Con-way.

I think some of that insurance stuff has still got to be worked out. (by the govt.)We'll always have insurance, wether it's by the company or the govt. ..you won't be without. If that's your concern.I don't care who is paying for the doctor, just as long as I can continue to not pay anything, like now.(company-paid healthcare re-imbursement account money pays everything). And yes, I will be making even more in 2014, if this trend continues..

I see some dependence in this quote......
so hard to care anymore....

beefrd said:
I'll be prepared for whatever happens. That's for sure. I think it's up to me to protect myself, and I'll do that. I can't depend on somebody or something else.

beefrd said:
I don't care who is paying for the doctor, just as long as I can continue to not pay anything, like now.(company-paid healthcare re-imbursement account money pays everything).

So which is it? Clearly, you intend to depend on somebody else to pick up your medical expenses...

So which is it? Clearly, you intend to depend on somebody else to pick up your medical expenses...
Me, you, and all the other taxpayers.
Shame on me for believing my employer had enough integrity to help provide my family medical benefits after 2014. They always ask me to not take the shortcut or the easy way out.

Me, you, and all the other taxpayers.
Shame on me for believing my employer had enough integrity to help provide my family medical benefits after 2014. They always ask me to not take the shortcut or the easy way out.

I haven't found anything where they said that they were going to drop medical coverage. Show us where or you our going to have to maybe stop saying that. Because nobody is going to believe it if they don't see it. Dont you think...

I haven't found anything where they said that they were going to drop medical coverage. Show us where or you our going to have to maybe stop saying that. Because nobody is going to believe it if they don't see it. Dont you think...

If I were not told by Mr. Conaway, the VP of sales, i would think it wasnt true. I also wouldn't name him if he didn't say it.

beefrd said:
I think it's up to me to protect myself, and I'll do that. I can't depend on somebody or something else.

beefrd said:
Don't we all depend on the company to pick up our medical expenses? So, I depend on this company to do that. So what?

So what? I was just wondering which one of your statements was true...

ok

So what? I was just wondering which one of your statements was true...

Both of those statements are true. If I'm not mistaken, I responded to different posts. Just go ahead and ask me, what are you wanting to know? You seem to be discecting my posts, so go ahead, what is it you want to know? I've got nothing to hide. I may have made a mistake in posting... I've got no problem in admiting that I was wrong. What do you need to know?

If I were not told by Mr. Conaway, the VP of sales, i would think it wasnt true. I also wouldn't name him if he didn't say it.

I've got no problem with what you heard. Just being the VP of sales, he may have been out of line in saying that. I, like others, would just like to know the companies' stance on the subject. I really want to know. Not trying to discredit you..just want to be prepared, as I said before.

Both of those statements are true. If I'm not mistaken, I responded to different posts. Just go ahead and ask me, what are you wanting to know? You seem to be discecting my posts, so go ahead, what is it you want to know? I've got nothing to hide. I may have made a mistake in posting... I've got no problem in admiting that I was wrong. What do you need to know?

Because of my ideals and posts of yours I've read, I thought it was refreshing to hear you say (paraphrasing) that you didn't want to count on anybody else, that you could take care of yourself. Then I read that you were counting on somebody else to pay for your medical insurance premiums.

Just wondering where you drew the line, that's all. We all have a line. Your company doesn't pay for the roof over your head or the food on your table. They give you a wage in exchange for services you provide and you get to spend that however you wish.

We pay our employees quite well, but don't provide anything else. It's on them to spend their money however they wish; whether that's buying medical, saving for retirement, putting some away for vacations or blowing it all at the track....not my concern.

I have only had a few experiences on the mighty Con-Way board, you guys are tough, you have thick skin and broad shoulders, I like that about all of you! Dougie, I think what you did with that vid was wrong, thats my opinion, thats all it is, I still think you got little girl hands though..:) You all are a tough bunch, it almost makes me consider working here! I might once I get to old to throw groceries and need something really gravy easy like freight..:) J/K Guys!!!!

It was a great video,I say keep them coming!!!I worked for Con_way for 9 years and I can say It was great at first,but after 1994 It went to HELL!!

Turn over rate is extremely low, about 2%

Quite well is more than twice the top union scale to start.

For what it is worth, most don't realize how much those benefit packages cost their employer nor how well they could do for themselves if given the flexibility to do so.

Let's look at somebody who makes $50/hr without ANY benefits---just a paycheck.
40 hour work week nets them about $1650 after taxes if maried supporting a family of 4.

Lets say they want to save for 4 weeks vacation pay as well as 10 sick days/holidays where they aren't earning a wage. They need to earmark about $215 a week the other 46 weeks to save up 6 weeks pay.

Then they need medical insurance call it $700/month which is about $160/wk + another $15/wk for co-pays (that's almost $800/year for co-pays)

Then the big one; retirement. Let's assume they invest 25% of their take home pay or about $410/wk. $410/wk at 8% return over 20 year career gives them a bit over $1MM to retire. If they continue to earn 8% return they can pull out 8% every year ($80,000) and their nest egg will not shrink over time. So that's a retirement income of $6600+/mo and still a $1MM "in the bank" after 20 years of service.

Those expenditures will leave you an income to pay your bills of $850/wk after taxes. About the same take home as someone making $24/hr.

If somebody doesn't need medical because their spouse is covered, or doesn't want to save that aggressively, or feels 2 weeks vacation and 10 holidays is enough they have more money to spend however they wish. If they want to spend $800/wk at the track, fine. It's on them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Because of my ideals and posts of yours I've read, I thought it was refreshing to hear you say (paraphrasing) that you didn't want to count on anybody else, that you could take care of yourself. Then I read that you were counting on somebody else to pay for your medical insurance premiums.

Just wondering where you drew the line, that's all. We all have a line. Your company doesn't pay for the roof over your head or the food on your table. They give you a wage in exchange for services you provide and you get to spend that however you wish.

We pay our employees quite well, but don't provide anything else. It's on them to spend their money however they wish; whether that's buying medical, saving for retirement, putting some away for vacations or blowing it all at the track....not my concern.

"Take care of myself" with the things afforded to me and my co-workers, with respect to benefits, pay, and so on...There can we finally put an end to this?

It was a great video,I say keep them coming!!!I worked for Con_way for 9 years and I can say It was great at first,but after 1994 It went to HELL!!

Wow, and I thought it went to hell about 5 or 6 years ago. You should've stayed..you would be the top guy just about on any board.

Turn over rate is extremely low, about 2%

Quite well is more than twice the top union scale to start.

For what it is worth, most don't realize how much those benefit packages cost their employer nor how well they could do for themselves if given the flexibility to do so.

Let's look at somebody who makes $50/hr without ANY benefits---just a paycheck.
40 hour work week nets them about $1650 after taxes if maried supporting a family of 4.

Lets say they want to save for 4 weeks vacation pay as well as 10 sick days/holidays where they aren't earning a wage. They need to earmark about $215 a week the other 46 weeks to save up 6 weeks pay.

Then they need medical insurance call it $700/month which is about $160/wk + another $15/wk for co-pays (that's almost $800/year for co-pays)

Then the big one; retirement. Let's assume they invest 25% of their take home pay or about $410/wk. $410/wk at 8% return over 20 year career gives them a bit over $1MM to retire. If they continue to earn 8% return they can pull out 8% every year ($80,000) and their nest egg will not shrink over time. So that's a retirement income of $6600+/mo and still a $1MM "in the bank" after 20 years of service.

Those expenditures will leave you an income to pay your bills of $850/wk after taxes. About the same take home as someone making $24/hr.

If somebody doesn't need medical because their spouse is covered, or doesn't want to save that aggressively, or feels 2 weeks vacation and 10 holidays is enough they have more money to spend however they wish. If they want to spend $800/wk at the track, fine. It's on them.

I'm glad your company is doing great! There are plenty of Conway drivers taking home more than 850/wk. (me included). But, we probably have to work more for it.

Please don't call this post into question.. lol