Holland | I got a job offer at Holland...

younggun

TB Lurker
Credits
So I have been reading this forum for the past few weeks while thinking of making a job change. I interviewed at a few different places and went through all of there test. But today I received two offers, one from USF Holland and the other from Conway. I know either way that I start on the flex board and will have to work my way up, I am fine with that since I am young and am willing to put my time in just like everyone else did. But here is the question, as alot of you guys have been in the industry much longer than I, which company do you think is stronger and over all better when it comes to the driver? The benefits are similar and so is pay after you finger in the union dues with Holland, but Conway seems more structured when it comes to getting me basic benefits and PTO time (90 days) since they are non union. Holland says I could get a letter to move from casual to full time in as little as two months but could also take up to a year in a half to be accepted into the union. I am going to post this in the Conway and Holland sections to try to get your guys point of view. Thanks.

So I have been reading this forum for the past few weeks while thinking of making a job change. I interviewed at a few different places and went through all of there test. But today I received two offers, one from USF Holland and the other from Conway. I know either way that I start on the flex board and will have to work my way up, I am fine with that since I am young and am willing to put my time in just like everyone else did. But here is the question, as alot of you guys have been in the industry much longer than I, which company do you think is stronger and over all better when it comes to the driver? The benefits are similar and so is pay after you finger in the union dues with Holland, but Conway seems more structured when it comes to getting me basic benefits and PTO time (90 days) since they are non union. Holland says I could get a letter to move from casual to full time in as little as two months but could also take up to a year in a half to be accepted into the union. I am going to post this in the Conway and Holland sections to try to get your guys point of view. Thanks.
run to con job and don't look back. They could pull the plug on us any day.the equipment alone makes Conway the better option. They are investing in their company with new equipment while holland patches theirs together with rivets,pieces of placards and some kind of green epoxy,if they fix it at all. Good luck.

I call bs on your post. I have never heard of having to wait to "be accepted" into the union. You are in the union the day you turn in the paperwork. As far as conjob being more "structured" to getting you bennies and time off, nothing is more structured than a contract whch you won't have at conway. Bennies start at Holland on day one. As far as the strength of the companies, Holland is owned by a huge yellow sinking titanic and will eventually be pulled under the waves by that pig.

I started at Holland a year ago, I would not even consider putting an application in at Conway. I know too many drivers who can tell you horror stories about Conway. There are a bunch of very negative drivers that post on here, but take it with a grain of salt. Take the Holland job, you can always get a job at Conway later if it doesn't work out, they are always looking for guys.

I call bs on your post. I have never heard of having to wait to "be accepted" into the union. You are in the union the day you turn in the paperwork. As far as conjob being more "structured" to getting you bennies and time off, nothing is more structured than a contract whch you won't have at conway. Bennies start at Holland on day one. As far as the strength of the companies, Holland is owned by a huge yellow sinking titanic and will eventually be pulled under the waves by that pig.

No BS the location manager told me that I would work as a "casual driver" untill he could see what I was really like because after I got in the union he would be stuck with me. I think he called it a letter of intent to hire from the union. But I have been wondering if the YRC mess would pull on Holland in a bad way.

Young man you have a big decision to make which is yours and your family needs that will determine.Yes starting out on the bottom on both will be about the same.The best way to make such a tough decesion is to do what Ben Franklin would do he would start with a blank sheet of paper and write Pros on one column and Cons on the other column then you have a visual aid to compare instead of a mental one. Holland is not the same as it was 10 years ago, nor is the union. Conway can be very strict on rules some time.I also suggest that you go to website Bankrate.com and go to finacial calculater and go to 401 k and estimate what you can put away for yourself, along with a match from Conway and then compare what a union pension will be, and do some research on Multi Employer Pension Funds which is were union funds are put.None of us have a crystal ball but try and look as far down the road as you can. Good Luck

If you need links to web site let me Know

No BS the location manager told me that I would work as a "casual driver" untill he could see what I was really like because after I got in the union he would be stuck with me. I think he called it a letter of intent to hire from the union. But I have been wondering if the YRC mess would pull on Holland in a bad way.

Casuals are in the union as well.

Young man you have a big decision to make which is yours and your family needs that will determine.Yes starting out on the bottom on both will be about the same.The best way to make such a tough decesion is to do what Ben Franklin would do he would start with a blank sheet of paper and write Pros on one column and Cons on the other column then you have a visual aid to compare instead of a mental one. Holland is not the same as it was 10 years ago, nor is the union. Conway can be very strict on rules some time.I also suggest that you go to website Bankrate.com and go to finacial calculater and go to 401 k and estimate what you can put away for yourself, along with a match from Conway and then compare what a union pension will be, and do some research on Multi Employer Pension Funds which is were union funds are put.None of us have a crystal ball but try and look as far down the road as you can. Good Luck

If you need links to web site let me Know

Also take into account how much per week you will pay for insurance at conway. At Holland you will pay zero for better insurance

So here is the deal, I went back to Conway today and did my road test and signed a few papers. It went well and I meet a few of the guys, at least in my area Conway seems more inviting and better at addressing my concerns. I am not 100% sold either way but I feel that Conway may be the better place for me. I am a fan of the union at Holland but not having a set day on when I get benefits and PTO time or that I will get the hours needed its a little scary for a man with a young family. Conway is actually a little bit farther drive for me but they will start me off at almost two dollars more per hour. The other thing is that I have a pension and 401k where I am at now and I really wonder if the pension will still be there in 40 years when I expect to take my share, so I am more a fan of 401k, so Conway wins on that point. I just want to say that I think both are great companies from my point of view and don't think I could make a bad choice between the two, just trying to make the better choice for me. I appreciate all of your guys in site on my tough decision I will need to make. Thanks

Terminal Managers are not always one hundred percent accurate in what they tell you. You should ask for a name and phone number of the steward and give him a call. My experience at two different terminals is that the stewards are very knowledgeable and helpful. Then ask the TM at Conway for a number of the steward there, you may only have one job offer then! The biggest problems my buddies have had when working for Conway is split shifts at first. If you live close to the terminal it is not that bad, but one of them lived over twenty miles away. He would go in for four hours in the morning, then go home for about four hours and go back in the afternoon for another four hour shift. This lasted for quite a while till he could get a run taking a set down to DesPlaines and breaking them down and building another set to bring back to Wisconsin.

Could I suggest if you are young go to UPS, now that will pay off in the end for sure or just find something else to do, Trucking is not what it was, not as fun to do...

My buddy has no cdl and drives a package van makes 70k a yr and only wants 8hrs a day 5 days a week. Gets mad when he works OT. No weekends or holidays. Took him 3 yrs PT on dock. Feeder driver tractor trailer makes topped out .75cpm. Takes 10+ yrs at ups to become one but depends on terminal.

i have been at holland since 07 got laid off worked for conway did the flex board got called back to holland so i can say they are a good job but holland is better dont let the nay sayers get to you we are getting back to good times yrc will do what they need to do but we will grow so just my saying take the holland job yes our trucks are not new but you get paid good to sit

my brother in law is a package driver, it took him eight long years to get a regular run of his own. He is doing great now, he thinks it was worth the wait. I guess it just depends if you are in a financial position to be able to take your time getting up and running. He tells me that he works about sixty hours or more a week between Thanksgiving and Christmas. Good Pay and Great benefits though.

i have been at Holland since 07 got laid off worked for Conway did the flex board got called back to Holland so i can say they are a good job but Holland is better don't let the nay sayers get to you we are getting back to good times yrc will do what they need to do but we will grow so just my saying take the Holland job yes our trucks are not new but you get paid good to sit

I wouldefiantlyly like to see your point of view on what was the main differenceses are between the two? Maybe I need to talk to the union steward at Holland to get a better feel for how long they will drag me on as a casual driver/ dock worker there before I really get the perks. I just know that when starting Conway says they will give me more hours and will pay me almost 2 dollars more per hour. How do I go about getting a hold of the steward?