Holland | I got a job offer at Holland...

I wouldefiantlyly like to see your point of view on what was the main differenceses are between the two? Maybe I need to talk to the union steward at Holland to get a better feel for how long they will drag me on as a casual driver/ dock worker there before I really get the perks. I just know that when starting Conway says they will give me more hours and will pay me almost 2 dollars more per hour. How do I go about getting a hold of the steward?
Take the job at Holland..if you have to ask all those questions, your not going to be comfy working at Conway. We work

I wouldefiantlyly like to see your point of view on what was the main differenceses are between the two? Maybe I need to talk to the union steward at Holland to get a better feel for how long they will drag me on as a casual driver/ dock worker there before I really get the perks. I just know that when starting Conway says they will give me more hours and will pay me almost 2 dollars more per hour. How do I go about getting a hold of the steward?

Just ask the Conway terminal manager who the steward is and I am sure he will make the decision for you.. I also have worked both sides and if I had to make the choice again it would be the union job..Work rules being the number one reason,as non-union management will push the buttons whenever they see the need..That won't happen too much on a union job of course unless one allows it..

conway flex you have no start time you call every night by 4 pm to see if you are running linhaul or 6 in morning to see if you run city and if they dont need you you sit at home for free the next day same used to go to the top of list not anymore i still have friends over at conway and if you have a mishap you are let go no rehire holland you will have a shift to come in on you will be city or road not back and forth if you have a mishap the union will help you keep your job we have had a few get fired 30 days off get there job back like it never happened as for pto if you need a lot of time off go to walmart dont drive a truck for anyone

I couldn't stand coming back from a 500 mile run, break your set and back both on door, then hop on a forklift for a couple hours like at Conway. Too many things can go wrong even on a forklift. Unsafe to me. I like braking my set backing my lead on door and go home. To me dock and driver should never be the same it's too many things can go wrong. You can kill someone with a forklift especially when your already fatigued.

younggun: What terminal are you looking for at Holland, I am sure someone will have a name and number for a steward. Also are you looking at road, dock or city work?

I couldn't stand coming back from a 500 mile run, break your set and back both on door, then hop on a forklift for a couple hours like at Conway. Too many things can go wrong even on a forklift. Unsafe to me. I like braking my set backing my lead on door and go home. To me dock and driver should never be the same it's too many things can go wrong. You can kill someone with a forklift especially when your already fatigued.
What are you talking about,holland is a break bulk operation for the past 5 years.90% of holland road drivers work the dock every night just like Conway does. Drive forklift,work loads,hostle,drop and hook,fuel.we do it all.the union is only good for as long as the doors are open,then what?Conway is the better choice of the 2.they are investing in their company unlike holland.they won't even fix the junk we got,they just tell you how safe things should be until you need it fixed,then they change their mind.Conway buying new equipment everyday,we dont even have enough junk for the new hires to drive.good luck,you won't regret it being the lesser of the two evils.

younggun: What terminal are you looking for at Holland, I am sure someone will have a name and number for a steward. Also are you looking at road, dock or city work?

City driver, but they said I can work the dock too since I have fork truck experance to get my hours when slow. Looking at the St. Louis terminal. Thanks.

My President at Local 523 said YRC is making a come back and is more stable than most people think. Take the Holland Job younggun. You will thank yourself later.

City driver, but they said I can work the dock too since I have fork truck experance to get my hours when slow. Looking at the St. Louis terminal. Thanks.

Go for the Road board. It will take less time to get on permanently, then if you wish, you can transfer to the city.

We don't work the dock when we return from our run.

What are you talking about,holland is a break bulk operation for the past 5 years.90% of holland road drivers work the dock every night just like Conway does. Drive forklift,work loads,hostle,drop and hook,fuel.we do it all.the union is only good for as long as the doors are open,then what?Conway is the better choice of the 2.they are investing in their company unlike holland.they won't even fix the junk we got,they just tell you how safe things should be until you need it fixed,then they change their mind.Conway buying new equipment everyday,we dont even have enough junk for the new hires to drive.good luck,you won't regret it being the lesser of the two evils.
This is just a flat out lie. Road board at my terminal is about 60 drivers and 4 run to velocity centers. NOT 90%! 90% of our outbound is loaded direct.

Take the Holland job, I work for one of the non union outfits out here and it is like being on one of those roller coaster rides, you never know what they will come up with next. When I did have a Union job years ago, it was nice to know what was in a contract, less changes...

younggun: I read your post about St. Louis terminal, I only have stewards numbers for two Wisconsin terminals, I am a road driver so I cross paths with guys from all different terminals. If no one else posts a stewards number on here for St. Louis, I will try and get one some night this week if I see one of their guys out and about. As far as working the dock when you get back, it varies from terminal to terminal, I would say at our terminal eighty percent of the road drivers do not work the dock and twenty percent do. But with our city guys, I would think the percentage would be higher. But at the last terminal I worked at, I am pretty sure the numbers were lower and when I worked for YRC the numbers were much lower. I am guessing by now you realize that you will get a very wide variety of answers on here, good luck trying to sift through the bs and figuring out what is best for you and your family! There must be someone on here with a St. Louis stewards name and number though, isn't there?

younggun: I read your post about St. Louis terminal, I only have stewards numbers for two Wisconsin terminals, I am a road driver so I cross paths with guys from all different terminals. If no one else posts a stewards number on here for St. Louis, I will try and get one some night this week if I see one of their guys out and about. As far as working the dock when you get back, it varies from terminal to terminal, I would say at our terminal eighty percent of the road drivers do not work the dock and twenty percent do. But with our city guys, I would think the percentage would be higher. But at the last terminal I worked at, I am pretty sure the numbers were lower and when I worked for YRC the numbers were much lower. I am guessing by now you realize that you will get a very wide variety of answers on here, good luck trying to sift through the bs and figuring out what is best for you and your family! There must be someone on here with a St. Louis stewards name and number though, isn't there?

Just make sure you PM the Stewards name and # to youngun, we don't want that info out for all to see :) Just a reminder.

So I have been reading this forum for the past few weeks while thinking of making a job change. I interviewed at a few different places and went through all of there test. But today I received two offers, one from USF Holland and the other from Conway. I know either way that I start on the flex board and will have to work my way up, I am fine with that since I am young and am willing to put my time in just like everyone else did. But here is the question, as alot of you guys have been in the industry much longer than I, which company do you think is stronger and over all better when it comes to the driver? The benefits are similar and so is pay after you finger in the union dues with Holland, but Conway seems more structured when it comes to getting me basic benefits and PTO time (90 days) since they are non union. Holland says I could get a letter to move from casual to full time in as little as two months but could also take up to a year in a half to be accepted into the union. I am going to post this in the Conway and Holland sections to try to get your guys point of view. Thanks.
Younggun: I worked for Holland for 18 yrs out of the St. Louis terminal. I had to resign my position to move back to Kansas City to help care for my ailiing father.

Having both worked union and non union here in Kansas City, I don't believe you could go wrong with Holland. I am on my 2nd week of my new 30 day probation peroid. (Yes even after 18 yrs and 2 million miles accident free, I had to be retrained!! LOL) This is still a great job. Take it from someone who knows, you can't go wrong here!!