Yellow | I hate my union,although I don't have the guts to quit!

azzman

TB Lurker
Credits
After reading all the responses about the hostess shut down I could'nt believe how many union people on here actually hate being unionized even though they love all the good pay and benifits that go with it. How embarassing to call some of you union brothers. Good or bad right or wrong,these guy's actually had the balls to stand up,I'm proud of all who stood together! I can't wait for the first response about how they are jobless,homeless or stupid,come on show your true union hating mentality.

After reading all the responses about the hostess shut down I could'nt believe how many union people on here actually hate being unionized even though they love all the good pay and benifits that go with it. How embarassing to call some of you union brothers. Good or bad right or wrong,these guy's actually had the balls to stand up,I'm proud of all who stood together! I can't wait for the first response about how they are jobless,homeless or stupid,come on show your true union hating mentality.

Wow!! Who said that!!???

They are called "Meesters" I am sure you will get plenty of responses.Most don't know the facts on just how much these workers have given back already..One worker on the radio today said that they were "Concessioned out"

You know it was stupid..
*Company files bankruptcy
*demands ridiculous concessions from bakers
*dumbo bakers fall into trap
*let the auction begin
*Hostess competitors appreciate the stupidity
*Hostess competitors acquire more shelf space
* three cheers for the stand up comedy
*for ending 18,500 jobs

They are called "Meesters" I am sure you will get plenty of responses.Most don't know the facts on just how much these workers have given back already..One worker on the radio today said that they were "Concessioned out"

Concessioned out? So no job, and screwing other unions is better?

What's TOL dead tonight? Your 5 members take the night off?

Concessioned out? So no job, and screwing other unions is better?

What's TOL dead tonight? Your 5 members take the night off?

sarcastic.gif

The work rules at Hostess should have been addressed a long long time ago. I'm not familiar with all the work rules but the work rules of the Hostess bread/cake route men were not the making of management. It was the unions attempt to preserve jobs. It back-fired big time. It could have made a difference today. I'm not one to bash the teamster union but it was a snafu on their part. The bakers union is a disaster to have allowed the strike. It speaks against the principle of negotiating from a position of strength. There was no way in hell they could have won.

The work rules at Hostess should have been addressed a long long time ago. I'm not familiar with all the work rules but the work rules of the Hostess bread/cake route men were not the making of management. It was the unions attempt to preserve jobs. It back-fired big time. It could have made a difference today. I'm not one to bash the teamster union but it was a snafu on their part. The bakers union is a disaster to have allowed the strike. It speaks against the principle of negotiating from a position of strength. There was no way in hell they could have won.
I always thought that was a decision for the workers to make or not make.

I always thought that was a decision for the workers to make or not make.
You didn't see the IBT sanction the double no vote at New Penn or Chicago..did you? BCTGM union president Frank Hurt is no Tyson Johnson. Frank Hurt called the bluff. Bottom line 25,000 jobs saved at YRC. 18,500 jobs lost at Hostess

The BCTGM membership voted 92% to reject Hostess's final offer. It's impossible for me to speculate why because I don't know how much either union gave up in the previous bankruptcy. What has occurred there is the Teamsters members, by a slim margin recognized what would happen and the BCTGM members, by a wide margin, didn't. It came down to whether or not they trusted their leadership. The BCTGM gambled for all the employees and lost. Sad for ALL compounded by the timing. Holidays will be disrupted. God bless EVERYONE who worked for Hostess.

'A position of strength'. There was no way in hell they could have won.

This is true with all unions these days, isn't it? I was part of a strike where even our (in company) 'brothers' in other parts of the state/country refused to participate in. Also, you think the mortgage, electric, phone, gas, & cable companies gave a schit? Yeah right. So, we go back to work, having lost it all. We were the proud new company participants of a 80/20 & a 401k.
Here is another, rather funny, part of this story. A few years later, the same 'brothers' who snubbed us, held a meeting with us, asking us to honor their strike because the company was fudging with their pension. After we told them to 'go phuck themselves', their response was, "2 wrongs don't make a right".
Let's not fool ourselves, the unions lost their power decades ago. Will they regain their power some day? Yes, I think so, but, not in our lifetime. People seem willing to take alot of schit before fighting back.

This is true with all unions these days, isn't it? I was part of a strike where even our (in company) 'brothers' in other parts of the state/country refused to participate in. Also, you think the mortgage, electric, phone, gas, & cable companies gave a schit? Yeah right. So, we go back to work, having lost it all. We were the proud new company participants of a 80/20 & a 401k.
Here is another, rather funny, part of this story. A few years later, the same 'brothers' who snubbed us, held a meeting with us, asking us to honor their strike because the company was fudging with their pension. After we told them to 'go phuck themselves', their response was, "2 wrongs don't make a right".
Let's not fool ourselves, the unions lost their power decades ago. Will they regain their power some day? Yes, I think so, but, not in our lifetime. People seem willing to take alot of schit before fighting back.
This is no insult to you at all Indy, but when is enough enough? Would you have still been happy with A 70/30 plan and no 401k? How about paying your own insurance and no overtime pay? Or how about no vacation or sick days? Everyones breaking point is not the same,something to consider.

crazy;1122662[B said:
They are called "Meesters" I am sure you will get plenty of responses.Most don't know the facts on just how much these workers have given back already..One worker on the radio today said that they were "Concessioned out"[/B]

In any case whether or not anyone here agrees or disagrees, it was their decision to make...It's a done deal now with no going back..... It was high stakes gambling and the Membership of the Bakers Union lost.....The bad part of this was that they took down the other Union members along with them... Standing "tall" has it's time and place, but with so much at stake, and so many that stood to be impacted, the decision should have been given some deep thought beyond just those of the Bakers Union.....You throw around the "word" "meesters" but in reality in this case who were really the "meesters"? ... Guess all that's really left to do is just wish all of the Hostess workers and their Families the best of luck going forward....And please could you make up a new word..."meesters" is wearing on the thin side...it's one time "cleverness" has all but worn off.....

This is no insult to you at all Indy, but when is enough enough? Would you have still been happy with A 70/30 plan and no 401k? How about paying your own insurance and no overtime pay? Or how about no vacation or sick days? Everyones breaking point is not the same,something to consider.

I'm sorry azzman, when I said, or rather typed, 'We were the proud new company participants of a 80/20 & a 401k'. I was being sarcastic. I always used to tell(yell) the guys, "We are either IN a union or we are NOT". Really, they had no business being in a union. I doubt they still are. If they are, they are fools.

Addendum: Just to be clear, I am NOT trying to make a comparison between the company I used to work for, and YRC. Believe me, YRC is Heaven compared to where I came from. I mentioned on another thread that 95% of the guys @ YRC are good dudes. Well, it's just the opposite where I came from. Horrible awful people, I hated them. That's why I changed careers & also why I'm so happy.

Last edited by a moderator:
We all win when We stand together,reguardless of the consequence.

Unity is brotherhood.

I can appreciate the spirit in which you base your comments, however, that is not always the case.....The outcome at Hostess is a good point of reference.. 92 percent of the Bakers Union "stood together" but I don't think the consequences have made them, or the others, winners....Beyond that, it also didn't make Hostess a winner either....

Unity, people engaged in a particular occupation, or the quality of being united into one, does not always produce positive results....But I do appreciate the context of your post...just wanted to make an observation regarding unity.....

Unity, people engaged in a particular occupation, or the quality of being united into one, does not always produce positive results....But I do appreciate the context of your post...just wanted to make an observation regarding unity.....

Yes, a very good observation, solidarity has no clout as of late. You might describe what happened at Hostess as unintended consequences