I Hated the old B-Mod Mack's with twin sticks,Now KW has 3 in the W900

Apostolic

TB Legend
Credits
Wow back in the day,I thought the old Mack's were a really poor design.
To have to take your hands of the wheel to shift,so whats up with the newer KW's?

OK. I have spent time watching the video. (yeah,no life). Seems like a home made setup. The skull is the HI-LO range selector. Hardly uses it. Plus you can hear the air when he shifts it. The left shifter is the splitter. Stick only goes back and forth. Plus,again, air can be heard. Also at minute 2:15
the stick is moved yet no gear change. Think the range selector and splitter are merely lever operated. Bet he will have fun on the Cross Bronx
Expressway

To have to take your hands of the wheel to shift,so whats up with the newer KW's?

He's just got a completely different system set up for a 15 speed transmission. The middle stick is the main shifter, gears 1 to 5, the shifter with the skull on it is the low and high range splitter and the one on the left is for direct and overdrive. I think its kind of neat and would be less confusing when you got use to the set up.

It's not a 15 speed, you don't "split" a 15 it is a 10 speed with deep reduction. This is a 13 or maybe an 18, the skull shifter is the high/low selector, the shifter in the middle is the main stick and the left shifter is the splitter. If you watch every other shift he puts the middle stick back in the same spot. This is a lot of unnecessary arm movement, he can just shift the middle shifter and use the left one to split when needed. Here is a link to one of these kits there are others who make them to.

http://www.outlawcustomshd.com/outl...nversion/outlaw-customs-big-stick-conversion/

This guy added a 3rd stick in place of the range selector... I want nothing to do with this 3 club set-up in Chicago traffic. Screw that....

Here is that very truck before it's conversion to 3 sticks. Standard 13.

And who thinks sitting on the floor to drive a truck is cool? This guy barely sees over the wheel.

Another guy knows how to shift a triplex B Model. He's got the heater hose on the shifters to cut down on the rattling noise they made, fan on the dash, low air pressure warning was a little metal flag that dropped down from above the windshield. Not as comfortable as todays baby carriages, but a very interesting truck to drive. I'd love to drive one again.

Last edited:
Yeah no thanks, I have hard enough time with one shifter and the little splitter lever.

You would be fine, driving this truck wouldn't be any harder than driving a nine speed. You just shift the middle shifter, use the right one to switch to high or low range and back to the middle one. The left shifter is just a splitter which you don't actually need. I have an 18 speed and most of the time I only split the top gear. Most of what this guy is doing is for show.

You would be fine, driving this truck wouldn't be any harder than driving a nine speed. You just shift the middle shifter, use the right one to switch to high or low range and back to the middle one. The left shifter is just a splitter which you don't actually need. I have an 18 speed and most of the time I only split the top gear. Most of what this guy is doing is for show.

Back in the day you needed every gear you had because in the pre-turbo days you didn't have much power. You had to keep it over 1700 rpm, with a good load on a steep hill you'd be down to 10mph. You didn't care about stereos or other distractions, the truck kept you busy. The breather mounted on the outside of the cab along with the scream of the bias ply tires was all the sound you needed. It was intoxicating. Another oddity of the B models was the pushbutton turn signals mounted in a little box on the left side of the dash.

You know what's funny Super Course, I don't really listen to the radio in the truck at all. When I did beer I had the radio on, but here at GFS I never have the radio on for what ever reason I think it helps me concentrate on listening to the motor so I know when to shift. (I'm kind of a below average shifter) I usually shift from 4 to 6 depending of course and I've had my fair share of 4-6 rough shifts ha-ha.
I am no super trucker that's for sure, just trying to get through the day and make it work. Management at work told me just relax and just do you.

Back in the day you needed every gear you had because in the pre-turbo days you didn't have much power. You had to keep it over 1700 rpm, with a good load on a steep hill you'd be down to 10mph. You didn't care about stereos or other distractions, the truck kept you busy. The breather mounted on the outside of the cab along with the scream of the bias ply tires was all the sound you needed. It was intoxicating. Another oddity of the B models was the pushbutton turn signals mounted in a little box on the left side of the dash.

Yeah I've driven plenty of old low power 2 stickers, they could make a low power engine seem like something. That is not the case with this video, that's just a regular 13 or 18 with a lot of extra show.