XPO | I have a question for the anti union guys at Conway

Oh yeah, Corporate greed is why manufactures went over seas. I hope UPS dont pack all their brown trucks up and go over seas....

Unions working out great for YRC. They agreed to the concessions to keep the company afloat for bad management decisions. They work as a team. With the paycut they took, they still are makin more money than us with their overtime after 8, and zero dollars for heath insurance... and not only that, they dont get a strike for not chalking a trailer tire or running over a dock bumper... Conway sucks!!!!!!!

ha thats funny ... there is not an LTL company in the US russia and belarus that works together .. YRC would have gotten those concessions whether the union would have agreed to it or not...

wonderring99 said:
ha thats funny ... there is not an LTL company in the US russia and belarus that works together .. YRC would have gotten those concessions whether the union would have agreed to it or not...

You're right about that. Zollars guaranteed it

Why do you "only" focus on YRC? Why don't you bring up UPS into the equation? They are also a Teamster company. Why don't you bring up ABF? They are also a Teamster company. Those are only 2 out of hundreds of Teamster employers. YRC and their greed are the main reason Teamster labor took a wage cut.

I suppose if the company you worked for proved they needed the employees to take a paycut in order to stave off a bankruptcy, that you would have also VOTED,VOTED,VOTED,VOTED. And you would have VOTED yes to the cuts just like the other bunch of guys did. What they actually did was choose to keep their jobs through the voting process, but the end result was the same as if YRC was non-union... a PAYCUT! Our company took 5% of our wages, they didn't force us to vote to get rid of 15%, and within a relatively short time, the comapny restored our pay, which is more than the union was able to do for their sheep, I mean YRC employees. If you stop the crazy union talk now, and allow the company to focus it's resources on making the business more profitable, I'm thinking that we'll see the COLA raises come back and the 401k match in a much shorter time than if the company has to spend money on litigation to keep the union out. As for subservice, I'm thinking it's hear to stay and you would have an easier time pissing up a rope than getting the company to haul it's freight any differently.

Is it not a miserable place to work at TODAY?

I don't know alot of the facts involving unions, I've never worked for one. The only real exposure I have had is in city operations. But it really seems like the places I go for p&d that have union operations are more difficult to work with, their slower in general, and the employees are always upset. I can't get into the debate on any of the financial pros or cons, I'd be talking out my ass, but from what I have seen, the employees in union shops almost always seem disgruntaled. I don't know if it's because they know Con-Way isn't a union carrier and they are just generally unhappy when I walk threw the door in blue or what. My biggest concern is, how can I know for a fact that if a union comes to Con-Way it won't become a miserable place to be?

SEE MY OTHER POST! Christ, do your homework.

\
I don't need a stinking union to tell me when to strike and lose money. Unions are for losers. Period. Unions are the reason ( at least in part ) for many of the troubles the country is having and the reason for many a business moving overseas. Have you looked at roadway/yellow freight? How is that union working out for them? Unions suck!

You must not have been around very long to have just learned that Holland is Union when you hired on here. Did Conway tell you anything that did not hold to be true?

Things have changed since I signed my employment offer, yes. Economic conditions have also changed since I signed up. One of the points of disagreement between me and you is why the company made the cuts. Let me put out question to the pro-union guys.

If you knew for certain that when Conway cut our pay/benefits in 2008 that it was purely related to a declining economy, would you be as upset about it as you are now?

Why do you "only" focus on YRC? Why don't you bring up UPS into the equation? They are also a Teamster company. Why don't you bring up ABF? They are also a Teamster company. Those are only 2 out of hundreds of Teamster employers. YRC and their greed are the main reason Teamster labor took a wage cut.

I mention YRC to illustrate union hypocrisy. Before it all went down at YRC, they had the largest share of the LTL market and the most union drivers on the road. All we here from big labor is how hard they "fight for the rights of the working man." How did that work out for those who lost their jobs at the biggest LTL in the country? I followed it on the YRC boards, they were fighting amongst themselves to vote yes or no to the cuts. There were complaints against BA's who were selling the idea of voting "yes" to the cuts. If the Teamster leadership was so worried about fighting for the rights of their working men, why did they encourage them to vote in a way that lowered the standard of living they had become used to? Perhaps because they knew if YRC went under, they would suffer significant losses to their membership. Sacrifice some jobs now to hold the rest of the YRC Teamsters together. The union is a dues collecting machine, whose primary mission is to elect politicians who are friendly to their cause and the YRC debacle showed they have no problem rolling over when they have to in order to save themselves.

Fighting for the working man my arse!

Is it not a miserable place to work at TODAY?

Not from where I sit. I'm treated well in my barn, and so are my co-workers. There are frustrations, but there isn't a place to work thats perfect. At the end of the day when I'm dripping sweat and my spirits are low, I remind myself that I've done much worse jobs in my life for much less money. And all in all, I'm happy. I feel for you Hanalad. It must be very difficult coming to work everyday to a job you feel to be miserable.

Sorry to intrude but UNIONS are the main reason why we "all" have benefits today.
Please do your homework first before spouting off mindless statements. Thank You.
Labor unions in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
REPORT: Five Things Unions Have Done For All Americans | ThinkProgress
What Have Unions Done for America? | Bill's Box

good posts bro,with FACTS.if there wasn't a union we'd be making $16 an hour with EVEN WORSE benefits,these guys have NO CLUE, and sadly they're so closed minded they refuse to learn.blind sheep!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not from where I sit. I'm treated well in my barn, and so are my co-workers. There are frustrations, but there isn't a place to work thats perfect. At the end of the day when I'm dripping sweat and my spirits are low, I remind myself that I've done much worse jobs in my life for much less money. And all in all, I'm happy. I feel for you Hanalad. It must be very difficult coming to work everyday to a job you feel to be miserable.
like i said most HAPPY people worked for mickie d's before and never made decent money,so you're ecstatic when you look at your check on friday.we are tought the SMITH SYSTEM, correct.AIM HIGH,GET THE BIG PICTURE,right.the BIG picture is ,we are the LOWEST PAID carrier when compared to quality and size.they just posted we are the #2 sized ltl carrier in the us,behind only fed-ex in market share.fed -ex top rate 24.88 hr,.65c a mile.con-way 23.55,.55c.....................ups $26hr,r&l more per hr,D. Pyle more per hr,etc,etc.............big picture we should be making at least the same as other carriers,PERIOD!!!!!!!!!!!!! especially since the anti-union crowd has stated how much MONEY AND FLEXIBILITY the company saves by being non-union and using cheap sub-service and lawyers fees saved,it's not about being unhappy,it's about being treaated fairly.

I mention YRC to illustrate union hypocrisy. Before it all went down at YRC, they had the largest share of the LTL market and the most union drivers on the road. All we here from big labor is how hard they "fight for the rights of the working man." How did that work out for those who lost their jobs at the biggest LTL in the country? I followed it on the YRC boards, they were fighting amongst themselves to vote yes or no to the cuts. There were complaints against BA's who were selling the idea of voting "yes" to the cuts. If the Teamster leadership was so worried about fighting for the rights of their working men, why did they encourage them to vote in a way that lowered the standard of living they had become used to? Perhaps because they knew if YRC went under, they would suffer significant losses to their membership. Sacrifice some jobs now to hold the rest of the YRC Teamsters together. The union is a dues collecting machine, whose primary mission is to elect politicians who are friendly to their cause and the YRC debacle showed they have no problem rolling over when they have to in order to save themselves.

what a bunch of crap.they VOTED for the cuts to keep yrc in business,to keep their jobs,and if and when things turned around they would still have a job, and thet'd go from there.last i checked they were still in business,they still had jobs,their losses were getting smaller.as for a dues collecting machine,that is the dumbest statement i've ever heard!!!!!!!!!!!!AGAIN,DUES ARE 2 1/2 TIMES YOUR RATE OF PAY PER MONTH GENIUS,WHICH WOULD BE ABOUT $60 A MONTH,YOUR MEDICAL IS MORE THAN THAT PER WEEK GENIUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!THEY HAVE NO OUT OF POCKET COSTS FOR MEDICAL GENIUS,WHICH MORE THAN PAYS FOR ITSELF GENIUS!!!!!!!!!!HERE'S A LITTLE EXAMPLE TO FOLLOW:IF YOU PAY $80 A WEEK NOW FOR MEDICAL(most pay more)that is 320 a month,are you following so far?teamsters you pay $60 for dues,medical included,question:how much money did you save????????????very good $260,and that doesn't even bring into the equation a contract,working conditions,higher pay rate,representation,working conditions,a dues collecting machine,what a bunch of CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We lost a lot of people too and closed terminals.

Things have changed since I signed my employment offer, yes. Economic conditions have also changed since I signed up. One of the points of disagreement between me and you is why the company made the cuts. Let me put out question to the pro-union guys.

If you knew for certain that when Conway cut our pay/benefits in 2008 that it was purely related to a declining economy, would you be as upset about it as you are now?

No, I would not be nearly as upset. Are you going to tell me that this is the case? Concerning all of our compensatory reductions, our leaders have not lied to us?

good posts bro,with FACTS.if there wasn't a union we'd be making $16 an hour with EVEN WORSE benefits,these guys have NO CLUE, and sadly they're so closed minded they refuse to learn.blind sheep!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

even a blind sheep can use it's other senses to guide itself back to the safe-haven of the barn. However the emotions of Chicken Little gets him hit by a car crossing the road because he has become an emotional deaf mute, unable to see or hear his own hysterical behavior.

and why did the chicken cross the road? Because another screaming chicken said that the sky might not be falling on the other side of the road... maybe.

you should realize that you are in trouble when you become your own best customer of the kool-aid you are selling.

Absolutely no doubt in my mind that you are correct.

I'll go out on a limb and say we can thank the Union for what we were paid for two decades. In fact, our compensation has been officially compared to Union scale on several occasions. Conway needed to compete for decent talent. And they sold the heck out of me.....Hook, line, and sinker.

Now that our leaders do not think The Union is such a big threat, they will continue to reduce and remove. Count on it.