XPO | I have a question for the anti union guys at Conway

what a bunch of crap.they VOTED for the cuts to keep yrc in business,to keep their jobs,and if and when things turned around they would still have a job, and thet'd go from there.last i checked they were still in business,they still had jobs,their losses were getting smaller.as for a dues collecting machine,that is the dumbest statement i've ever heard!!!!!!!!!!!!AGAIN,DUES ARE 2 1/2 TIMES YOUR RATE OF PAY PER MONTH GENIUS,WHICH WOULD BE ABOUT $60 A MONTH,YOUR MEDICAL IS MORE THAN THAT PER WEEK GENIUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!THEY HAVE NO OUT OF POCKET COSTS FOR MEDICAL GENIUS,WHICH MORE THAN PAYS FOR ITSELF GENIUS!!!!!!!!!!HERE'S A LITTLE EXAMPLE TO FOLLOW:IF YOU PAY $80 A WEEK NOW FOR MEDICAL(most pay more)that is 320 a month,are you following so far?teamsters you pay $60 for dues,medical included,question:how much money did you save????????????very good $260,and that doesn't even bring into the equation a contract,working conditions,higher pay rate,representation,working conditions,a dues collecting machine,what a bunch of CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have learned something from past experience; and that is when people get loud about the things I say, I'm usually right. You're sticking up for the YRC teamsters voting themselves a paycut in the name of saving the company, but when Conway says they cannot afford to pay into our 401K and give back cost of living allowances, you scream that we need to organize. Do you even know what you're yelling about? I stand by what I said, big labor, including the Teamsters, is a dues collecting machine whose primary mission is to help elect anti-business politicians who create anti-business laws and regulations. There is nothing the Teamsters can suck out of my company that will ever make me want to join them.

like i said most HAPPY people worked for mickie d's before and never made decent money,so you're ecstatic when you look at your check on friday.we are tought the SMITH SYSTEM, correct.AIM HIGH,GET THE BIG PICTURE,right.the BIG picture is ,we are the LOWEST PAID carrier when compared to quality and size.they just posted we are the #2 sized ltl carrier in the us,behind only fed-ex in market share.fed -ex top rate 24.88 hr,.65c a mile.con-way 23.55,.55c.....................ups $26hr,r&l more per hr,D. Pyle more per hr,etc,etc.............big picture we should be making at least the same as other carriers,PERIOD!!!!!!!!!!!!! especially since the anti-union crowd has stated how much MONEY AND FLEXIBILITY the company saves by being non-union and using cheap sub-service and lawyers fees saved,it's not about being unhappy,it's about being treaated fairly.

Wow.. You just come out swing'n don't you? I'd like to start by saying, no, I didn't hire into con-way from McDonalds. My handle LH2LTL means Long Haul to Less than Truck Load. I was the night driver on a team run that moved cigarette loads from winston salem to seattle. I took a hell of a pay cut to work at Con-Way. And I did it in the name of happiness. I put my kid to bed for YEARS over the phone and I was chomping at the bit to do it in person. Now I can. And Con-Way has made that possible. That's MY big picture.

Now, if you look back to the post that Hanalad responded to you'll find that I asked specificly about moral in union locations, I even said I wasn't intrested in discussing the financials. So 100% of the conversation you dove into is, in fact, "about being unhappy". I work because I need the money. Just like you. But I have no intrest in being rich and unhappy.

I have learned something from past experience; and that is when people get loud about the things I say, I'm usually right. You're sticking up for the YRC teamsters voting themselves a paycut in the name of saving the company, but when Conway says they cannot afford to pay into our 401K and give back cost of living allowances, you scream that we need to organize. Do you even know what you're yelling about? I stand by what I said, big labor, including the Teamsters, is a dues collecting machine whose primary mission is to help elect anti-business politicians who create anti-business laws and regulations. There is nothing the Teamsters can suck out of my company that will ever make me want to join them.

Don't worry, nothing is going to change. They are all wasting their time. Entertaining, isn't it.. And BTW, I don't pay for medical. I use the company paid Health Reimbursement account for the whole family. Nothing out of pocket this year. Slimestones makes up different numbers that fit his rants. lol

Don't worry, nothing is going to change. They are all wasting their time. Entertaining, isn't it.. And BTW, I don't pay for medical. I use the company paid Health Reimbursement account for the whole family. Nothing out of pocket this year. Slimestones makes up different numbers that fit his rants. lol

nice try beerfd,name ONE made up number,you can't.especially since i've PROVEN you wrong every time with FACTS.EVEN YOUR COHORTS TOLD YOU I WAS RIGHT AND YOU ,SPARKY WERE WRONG,MUST SUCK ,HAHAHAHAHA,as for change we'll see won't we.if you want to argue numbers ,you'll lose AGAIN SPARKLESS.ask the majority what they pay for medical and get back to me,the majority stayed with the hmo plan and pay $80-$120 a week.

Wow.. You just come out swing'n don't you? I'd like to start by saying, no, I didn't hire into con-way from McDonalds. My handle LH2LTL means Long Haul to Less than Truck Load. I was the night driver on a team run that moved cigarette loads from winston salem to seattle. I took a hell of a pay cut to work at Con-Way. And I did it in the name of happiness. I put my kid to bed for YEARS over the phone and I was chomping at the bit to do it in person. Now I can. And Con-Way has made that possible. That's MY big picture.

Now, if you look back to the post that Hanalad responded to you'll find that I asked specificly about moral in union locations, I even said I wasn't intrested in discussing the financials. So 100% of the conversation you dove into is, in fact, "about being unhappy". I work because I need the money. Just like you. But I have no intrest in being rich and unhappy.
glad you got a "day " ' job to enjoy your family bro,that's a plus with this job,didn't see your earlier posts,can't readem all,but that doesn't change the fact that we should be making the same as our competitors,in my opinion,and that of about 99% of our co-workers.

so you don't want equal pay and better benefits,and work rules,that's fine just say so,i can't understand anyone wanting less pay and worse benefits for their family,but i guess everybody thinks different.but the "dues collecting machine"is not true.for $60 a month you'll get "free"medical,higher wages,and standard work rules,just a fact.apparently that doesn't interest you.

nice try beerfd,name ONE made up number,you can't.especially since i've PROVEN you wrong every time with FACTS.EVEN YOUR COHORTS TOLD YOU I WAS RIGHT AND YOU ,SPARKY WERE WRONG,MUST SUCK ,HAHAHAHAHA,as for change we'll see won't we.if you want to argue numbers ,you'll lose AGAIN SPARKLESS.ask the majority what they pay for medical and get back to me,the majority stayed with the hmo plan and pay $80-$120 a week.

We don't have HMO's no longer. It was part of the Obama healthcare plan.. try again..

We don't have HMO's no longer. It was part of the Obama healthcare plan.. try again..

i said the old hmo plan,whatever they call it now,are you really that THICK,see everyone he hasn't refuted my NUMBERS ,as he said i make them up,and if you work for con-way you know what you're paying for the "old hmo plan"and for a family of 4 it's about$100,glad for your posts because if anyone works at conway and pays for medical they know i'm right again and your posts are worthless.

guess you didn't want to pay the higher premiums either,lol,i'm also in the choice fund plan,praying nothing major happens.i'm in it not by choice ,but because i couldn't afford the $85 a week it would have cost,fund plan costs me $10.if your caught up in NAMES,THE OLD HMO IS NOW CALLED THE PLUS PLAN, with $20 co-pays.............why don't you try to discredit the numbers(you can't)instead of a name change

Politicians by nature are crooks. On BOTH sides. Only in America can BRIBES be called "Lobbying". Both sides are guilty of it. Politics should NOT be brought into this. If you want to get political, go to Washington and tell the crooks on both sides to turn to each other, pull their heads out of their back sides and fix this country. Both sides have done their fair share of screwing up this country. I'm sick of hearing this side did this or this side did that. KEEP THE POLITICS OUT OF THIS!

Politicians by nature are crooks. On BOTH sides. Only in America can BRIBES be called "Lobbying". Both sides are guilty of it. Politics should NOT be brought into this. If you want to get political, go to Washington and tell the crooks on both sides to turn to each other, pull their heads out of their back sides and fix this country. Both sides have done their fair share of screwing up this country. I'm sick of hearing this side did this or this side did that. KEEP THE POLITICS OUT OF THIS!

What's political about big labor's love for Democrats? It's not like it's a secret or anything. I'll keep the politics out of this discussion when you decide to keep the union out of Conway, fair enough? Of course it's not, me asking you to stand down with the union drive as just as absurd as you telling others they cannot talk about what they want to in a public discussion forum. If we cannot agree on anything else, I would hope we could at least agree that everyone has a right to voice their entire opinion and not just parts of it.

Mr ldgarrit I have done a bit of looking around to see what kind of money your hero's spend lobbying. As you should know I am not a cut and paste kind of person so this may not be as fancy.
Con-Way spent
2011- $160.000.00 so far this year
2010- $770.000.00
2009- $850.000.00
That's not a lot of money in reality it really is chump change !
Con-Way also spends a bit on outside lobbyist
Venable LLP is one of their outside firms
Oqilvy Government Relations $ 320.000.00
Robert Garcia and Assoc- $70.000.00
Ruffalo-Farnsworth- Katheryn $ 20.000.00
All this and more from Open Secrets and more a watchdog group for political donations . Con-way is third in line from money spent behind number one Freddie-X
and of course UPS.
Of course we do not know really what they do with this money once it is filtered through one of these hired firms do we? They may lobby a Democrat that the big labor loves too.
I looked for some dirt on Doug but came up clean. Must have been in his other half,s name ( man/ woman ) you just don't know these days do you !!

I stand by my original statement. I AM NOT GOING TO DEBATE THIS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here's why I don't want to be union. Because Conway will never be a union carrier, they will close the doors before they allow that to happen. You don't think so? Go do your homework. In 1991 they shut down Conway eastern who was the only one of the Conway's that was union. Conway refused to sign the master agreement, teamsters threatened to strike, Conway said we will shut the doors. Guess what no one believed they would do it. All the teamster drivers and even I who worked for Conway Southwest thought they wouldn't do it. Too many terminals to much equipment too much of a loss money wise, and sure enough, they did it!!! They didn't bat an eye lash, and they never missed a beat. They locked down the terminals. 5000 people out of work just like that!!!! Sold what they could , assigned equipment too other Conway terminals. Just like that it was over!!!! They made it look easy. In fact we made a great profit that year. Didn't hurt us one bit. Hey ask those drivers who lost their jobs, where the union was when they were standing in the unempolyment line!!! For two years solid, when I started at Conway we were constantly harrassed by teamster drivers from 1989 to 1991, trying to get us to sign a union card. You couldn't leave your truck unattended, they would pull your 5th wheel or slice an airline etc... then in 1991 when Conway called there bluff, shut down the entire upper eastcoast, the teamsters deflated. Never once from that day on did a union driver speak a word to us about going union.Because we all knew the truth about the union. They couldn't lie to us. Because the union failed those boys, worthless waste of time and money, for everyone involved. And that was back when the union was pretty strong, had had a lot assets and money. Now they are bankrupt, with diminishing membership, and a bleak future. They are a leech looking for a host to suck dry. They are a sinking ship, that talks a big game. The snake oil salesman, if you have never heard his pitch before, and you never tried the oil , you'll be talked into a 5 ounch bottle for 3000 dollars. The only thing , they can promise you is a pension, and even that is no real promise. That can't promise you more pay, more benefits, more or better anything. All they can do is promise to ask when they are at the bargining table. If Conway says no well guess what, it's no. Tough ::shit:: boys. But rest assured you'll get the we tried speech,don't be mad at us, be mad at Conway we are on your side, we can try again next time around. Meanwhile you are in worse shape then ever. Because once you voted to be union, Conway took away any benefit it offered you, I mean any and all. Including vacation time, 401k match, medical, dental, sick days etc... and guess what else, if a displaced union driver gets hired on he bumps you down in seniority. So just because you have been with Conway 20 years, that means nothing. Trust me there are hundreds of thousands of union drivers who have been displaced with lay offs etc. So even your seniority is not safe. Their pension fund is bankrupt. Nothing more than a pyramid scheme, in order to pay the exsisting retired members, they have got to get new members. But either way, when they can no longer get loans, and there is no way to pay the pension , they won't. You can take them to court and sue them but you can't bleed a turnip. If there is no money, there is no money. You could win the ruling by a judge and the courts say the union owes you 2 million dollars, but you will go to your grave with them owing you. So that is just a few rresons why I don't want the union.

Here's why I don't want to be union. Because Conway will never be a union carrier, they will close the doors before they allow that to happen. You don't think so? Go do your homework. In 1991 they shut down Conway eastern who was the only one of the Conway's that was union.

That was a long time ago.Thats back when CF was still alive and kicking and the regional Conways were still babies. Thats back when one regional company could expand to take over the territory covered by another. There are no more regionals, we are ONE company.They are not going to close up shop because some terminals organize or even if the company as a whole organizes.The company wants to make money and the drivers do as well. Some kind of arrangement will be worked out.

That was a long time ago.Thats back when CF was still alive and kicking and the regional Conways were still babies. Thats back when one regional company could expand to take over the territory covered by another. There are no more regionals, we are ONE company.They are not going to close up shop because some terminals organize or even if the company as a whole organizes.The company wants to make money and the drivers do as well. Some kind of arrangement will be worked out.

Your right. The BOD make their big money selling their stock. They don't want the stock price to plummet. Besides, I think it would be illegal for them to shut a particular shop down because of oraganizing... if I read the law correctly..and they are certainly not going to shut down the whole company. Too many millions of dollars that would be lost. They actually have them in a good position right now. I guess we'll just wait and see.

They won't close although that will be used as a threat to try to intimidate people. We aren't going anywhere. As far as the union guys bumping in I seriously doubt that otherwise other carriers would be having that problem. It's a free country and you are allowed to exercise your rights or believe what you are told to believe. Me personally I don't believe what I'm told by my employer cause they have proven to be untrustworthy. Anyone that wants to take what Conway says as the gospel thats your right to do so. My mind was made up about this place many years ago not to trust them and I guarantee I won't until they prove to me that they aren't a bunch of self serving spin doctors. I'm not going to argue with people. Believe what you want. As a side note it's not unique to us. Corporate America doesn't care about the little guy. They are all getting filthy stinking rich by screwing over the working man.

Thats quite a mouthful takeoneguess!!!
Are you finished yet ? I don't know where you get your facts but some are WRONG !!!
The Teamsters are far from bankrupt so you can put that little rumor to bed. The membership is not what it once was but is heading in an upward direction. Their are plenty of new Teamsters signed up each week. Look at their web site and read for your self. Its free and they will not tell your employer you have been watching.
As for the snake oil salesmen sounds like a few VP's have been on the road selling their share too. Why all of a sudden has upper management taken notice of the trouble in the trenches ??
Their are many promise's made on both sides who can you trust ?? Looks like a few changes to your 401k and you were not asked for your Teams input!
Why do some employees that do the same work with the same uniform on do not receive the same pay ? Where is the Team here?
Your dead wrong about a displaced union driver bumping you out of your little job. That is not the way it works son. Now the seniority thing here is really off in left field, no displaced union driver is going to come in and take your " seniority " your seniority is only as good as your whit shirted friends feel like at the moment. You have nothing in writing you are a at will employee.
I would suggest that when you have your meetings with management listen very carefully to what they say. Take their side of the story and then do some research and educate your self before shooting off your half truths and out right lies.
And buy the way as a shareholder I am very interested in the outcome of this organizing effort. I also helped give the Con-Ways their first start up money and customers with sweat equity at CF.
Here's why I don't want to be union. Because Conway will never be a union carrier, they will close the doors before they allow that to happen. You don't think so? Go do your homework. In 1991 they shut down Conway eastern who was the only one of the Conway's that was union. Conway refused to sign the master agreement, teamsters threatened to strike, Conway said we will shut the doors. Guess what no one believed they would do it. All the teamster drivers and even I who worked for Conway Southwest thought they wouldn't do it. Too many terminals to much equipment too much of a loss money wise, and sure enough, they did it!!! They didn't bat an eye lash, and they never missed a beat. They locked down the terminals. 5000 people out of work just like that!!!! Sold what they could , assigned equipment too other Conway terminals. Just like that it was over!!!! They made it look easy. In fact we made a great profit that year. Didn't hurt us one bit. Hey ask those drivers who lost their jobs, where the union was when they were standing in the unempolyment line!!! For two years solid, when I started at Conway we were constantly harrassed by teamster drivers from 1989 to 1991, trying to get us to sign a union card. You couldn't leave your truck unattended, they would pull your 5th wheel or slice an airline etc... then in 1991 when Conway called there bluff, shut down the entire upper eastcoast, the teamsters deflated. Never once from that day on did a union driver speak a word to us about going union.Because we all knew the truth about the union. They couldn't lie to us. Because the union failed those boys, worthless waste of time and money, for everyone involved. And that was back when the union was pretty strong, had had a lot assets and money. Now they are bankrupt, with diminishing membership, and a bleak future. They are a leech looking for a host to suck dry. They are a sinking ship, that talks a big game. The snake oil salesman, if you have never heard his pitch before, and you never tried the oil , you'll be talked into a 5 ounch bottle for 3000 dollars. The only thing , they can promise you is a pension, and even that is no real promise. That can't promise you more pay, more benefits, more or better anything. All they can do is promise to ask when they are at the bargining table. If Conway says no well guess what, it's no. Tough ::shit:: boys. But rest assured you'll get the we tried speech,don't be mad at us, be mad at Conway we are on your side, we can try again next time around. Meanwhile you are in worse shape then ever. Because once you voted to be union, Conway took away any benefit it offered you, I mean any and all. Including vacation time, 401k match, medical, dental, sick days etc... and guess what else, if a displaced union driver gets hired on he bumps you down in seniority. So just because you have been with Conway 20 years, that means nothing. Trust me there are hundreds of thousands of union drivers who have been displaced with lay offs etc. So even your seniority is not safe. Their pension fund is bankrupt. Nothing more than a pyramid scheme, in order to pay the exsisting retired members, they have got to get new members. But either way, when they can no longer get loans, and there is no way to pay the pension , they won't. You can take them to court and sue them but you can't bleed a turnip. If there is no money, there is no money. You could win the ruling by a judge and the courts say the union owes you 2 million dollars, but you will go to your grave with them owing you. So that is just a few rresons why I don't want the union.