XPO | I have a question for the pro conway union drivers

wonderring99

TB Veteran
Credits
Go over to the truckingboard boneyard and tell me where are all these past union carriers and tell us what there demise was. I am curious to here your views on this.

PS... (I am not management)

Last edited by a moderator:
Abf ups demise??

Ok... since you are trying to twist my post around for your benefit. Go to the LTL boneyard on a different section on TB and explain to me why these union carriers have closed. Deregulation is not a legit argument. If you are educated you will see that there are a ton of old union ltl carriers no longer exist.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

Ok... since you are trying to twist my post around for your benefit I will explain it to you since you can't click a linked word in my post. Go to the LTL boneyard on a different section on TB and explain to me why these union carriers have closed. Deregulation is not a legit argument. If you are educated you will see that there are a ton of old union ltl carriers no longer exist.

so according to you we should just bend over and take it any way con-way wants to give it to us. The demise of the union ltl companies was deregulation. also the pro business anti worker regulations that have been put in place. carcheck would have been the best thing that could have happened, but they had to go for health care. with card check 50% plus 1 and the union would be in, majorty rule, same as now except now you have to have 2 votes and the company can flood the work pool.

Ok... since you are trying to twist my post around for your benefit I will explain it to you since you can't click a linked word in my post. Go to the LTL boneyard on a different section on TB and explain to me why these union carriers have closed. Deregulation is not a legit argument. If you are educated you will see that there are a ton of old union ltl carriers no longer exist.

Let me ask you a serious question w-99. How long have you been a driver? No disrespect intended. The reason I ask is because of your comment that "deregulation is not a legit argument." Maybe I'm wrong but this naive comment smells like someone who did not experience what happened to the LTL industry after deregulation. And another thing. How do you know who is management and who is not? Just curious. Again, not intending to be rude with you, just fascinated by this whole situation. TE out....

We don't know who is management and who is not management but saying all those who are against or does not like something here is like saying all fat people like candy or all polar bears like Klondike bars. People should not paint with such a wide brush.

CCX, CSX, CWX, CEX.....All originally spun off from Consolidated Freightways (a union company). Also, the Freightliner (Tractors) name brand was started by Consolidated Freightways.
Consolidated Freightways was the the No. 1 carrier for several years. Before the demise of CF, freight was deverted to Con-Way, thats how they accumulated customers, so fast, and in a short amount of time. If it were not for CF, there would not be Con-Way. It's ironic for Con-Way, also to use the acronym, that is associated with Consolidated Freightways.
As for the demise of so many union carriers, it is attributed to the fact that the turn over rate for these drivers at union companies is very low. That is why it's more expensive to operate these companies. At non-union companies the turn over rate is much more, therefore less pay, less benefits, less vacation time, less overtime pay. And they could fire at will or simply lay-off, without justification. The turn over rate at union companies is so low that some seniority list are 10+ years and growing.

Some on the list were swallowed up by the big boys. Others went belly up. I don't know all of the companies on the list, but most couldn't compete with the big boys. The regional only carrier is going the way of the dinosaur, its a grow or die business. That's why Conway isn't # 1 anymore. Our niche was the whole next day service sell to the customer. That's what made us special. Now other companies do it better than we do. We don't have a gimmick to sell.

My opinion is this....Drivers wanting too much for free and Management wanting the very same thing. That is a general answer though. I am pretty sure I was allowed to answer......If not, my apologies.

Wait! Wait! Wait!........ Not all fat people like candy?

so according to you we should just bend over and take it any way con-way wants to give it to us.
I never said that so dont put words in my mouth. You are fabulous at twisting posts to make them benefit you. If you want guys like me to join your cause you need to catch flies with honey not spittin in someones eye.
The demise of the union ltl companies was deregulation.
Are sure about this??
also the pro business anti worker regulations that have been put in place. cardcheck would have been the best thing that could have happened, but they had to go for health care. with card check 50% plus 1 and the union would be in, majorty rule, same as now except now you have to have 2 votes and the company can flood the work pool.

Good luck in your cause

Let me ask you a serious question w-99. How long have you been a driver? No disrespect intended. The reason I ask is because of your comment that "deregulation is not a legit argument." Maybe I'm wrong but this naive comment smells like someone who did not experience what happened to the LTL industry after deregulation. And another thing. How do you know who is management and who is not? Just curious. Again, not intending to be rude with you, just fascinated by this whole situation. TE out....
Greetings elvis how ya been? 16 years. LTL since 2001. Was GI Trucking a victim of deregulation? We can go round and round about this and you and I both will agree that the demise of GI was a greedy self absorbed "christian man with old southern money from vaginny". Trucking was regulated until 78. I was 10. Yea you got me there, I did not experience it. The history of it is on the world wide web. I read about it. Slowly these companies closed or were bought because they could not monopolize these territories anymore and name their own price hauling freight. Monopolization was against the free enterprise system .. that was the main voice behind this according to what I read. It created competition. The strong survived. And now the strong is week because of poor choices on both ends. Management and the Union. I could go on and on but I do not want to bore anyone with the facts and my opinions .. and I dont need my posts twisted for someone elses benefit. Elvis .. we have had a history on here. I do believe there never was any hard feelings. Thanks for asking and being respectful. Regards w99

Some on the list were swallowed up by the big boys. Others went belly up. I don't know all of the companies on the list, but most couldn't compete with the big boys. The regional only carrier is going the way of the dinosaur, its a grow or die business. That's why Conway isn't # 1 anymore. Our niche was the whole next day service sell to the customer. That's what made us special. Now other companies do it better than we do. We don't have a gimmick to sell.

You are correct. Thank you for your answer.

I remember the day my terminal manager said its the beginning of the end for the trucking industry when Jimmy Carter did the deed. Five years later I was looking for a job.
Their were many small non union operations, mom and pop who served as interline carriers to out of the way small towns. All of the national carriers were Teamster company's and interlined with them and fed them well. I might add that these drivers and dock workers were the ones that wanted a job with the big outfits and would stand in line for them. A lot were hired away with the experience they gained at these smaller carriers.
As the big players got bigger they either bought the smaller guys or starved them out by now serving these small towns themselves.
Some just grew so fast they could not control their costs and spread themselves to thin.
The tax laws were changing and trucking was a good write off for big corporations. Some expanded with everything new you could buy but only to be liquidated a few years later Milne and ANR to name a couple
Most that shut down were broke and could not buy fuel or insurance. Paychecks bounced and health and welfare payments were not made. That would put the nail in the coffin. The next company would move in like buzzards and try but they just could not compete.
I also remember going into CF in Sacremento and watching CWX loading up the interline freight for delivery outside of the CF area. Was not long after that CWX people were picking up and delivering freight to companys that CF had serviced for years. Their numbers grew as CF seniority boards shrunk.
Sitting in a meeting in 1987 I remember a VP at Yellow telling us that the long haul LTL was dead and regional freight was where the money was. But they were not interested in anything going less than 1500 miles. My has that changed !
Gone were the days that everyone in the freight business knew everyone else and would always help a fellow driver.

I worked for a couple on the list. Preston was killed by Yellow purposefully. After we were free from Yellow for around a year or so we were shown a video from the prez. he told us our debt was only 2% of our net worth. That means we had outstanding credit, and a bright future. A month or so later we couldn't get a loan and they closed the doors. The 3 men in charge pocketed 57mill. after all bills were paid and yellow gave them Jevic(non-union) to kill. Alvan Motor Freight put all their eggs into hauling auto stuff, mostly delco/GM. when they closed lot of the plats Alvan suffered. Yellow/YRC bought Roadway for what 1.6 bill.? then USF for another 1.3? billion. for the first 5 years after that we were told they were making $800,000,000+ in proffit. if they would have paid off those loans they would have had over 800mill to play with in the 5th year but they blew it on bad stocks/properties/business in China....... I didn't work for Nations Way but they went out due to a divorce and neither party (husband or wife) wanted a trucking co. so they sold it off and split the money. De-regulation had a lot to do with smaller union companies going out also. hmmmmmm yup this all sounds like it was the fault of unions. sure am glad I realize this now.

I worked for a couple on the list. Preston was killed by Yellow purposefully. After we were free from Yellow for around a year or so we were shown a video from the prez. he told us our debt was only 2% of our net worth. That means we had outstanding credit, and a bright future. A month or so later we couldn't get a loan and they closed the doors. The 3 men in charge pocketed 57mill. after all bills were paid and yellow gave them Jevic(non-union) to kill. Alvan Motor Freight put all their eggs into hauling auto stuff, mostly delco/GM. when they closed lot of the plats Alvan suffered. Yellow/YRC bought Roadway for what 1.6 bill.? then USF for another 1.3? billion. for the first 5 years after that we were told they were making $800,000,000+ in proffit. if they would have paid off those loans they would have had over 800mill to play with in the 5th year but they blew it on bad stocks/properties/business in China....... I didn't work for Nations Way but they went out due to a divorce and neither party (husband or wife) wanted a trucking co. so they sold it off and split the money. De-regulation had a lot to do with smaller union companies going out also. hmmmmmm yup this all sounds like it was the fault of unions. sure am glad I realize this now.

So what happened to the employees that had time vested in all these companies that were shut down?