XPO | I have an interview in Tampa

Mark Cornish

TB Lurker
Credits
So I've been looking to leave my local food service job of six years and move on. I've looked at local jobs and most of them pay horribly. I recently got my hazmat so I could do LTL as it seems to pay better than most driving jobs. I've applied to R&L and SEFL but neither have called me. I just recently applied to XPO at their Tampa location and they called me within a day. They told me they're looking for a flex driver for city pickup and delivery. Starting pay seems kind of low compared to the top pay which I know will bother me in the beginning, especially if I only get 40 hours a week. Does anyone on here work in Tampa? Are you guys staying busy ? I've done some research and XPO seems to be a huge company, the second biggest LTL company in America, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's a good place to work. Would appreciate any advice. Thanks.

I don't know your age, but if you're in food service, I'm guessing you're on the young-ish side. XPO certainly isn't a perfect company but it's also not the worst either. I'd say we're somewhere in the middle. There is little doubt that LTL is where the money exists when it comes to local trucking and if after a year or so you don't like working here them move on, you'll have an excellent resume enhancement if you want to work for a different LTL carrier.

I work in Tampa, seems to be enough work. Some weeks are busier than others. You may not have the ideal start time every day, but that goes for any LTL when you are "new" guy.

I turned it down.. $20.71 starting pay with only a 40 hour work week is only like $800 gross. Can't live on that. Plus it takes three years to get to top pay? Cmon, I have fifteen years experience.

I don’t live in Florida, but $20.71/hr must be what XPO considers “market value”. Too bad. I hope you can find something in your area that suits you better than food service. We are starting drivers at $23 and have some kind of referral bonus. SAIA is opening a terminal nearby and starting experienced drivers over $29.

I don’t live in Florida, but $20.71/hr must be what XPO considers “market value”. Too bad. I hope you can find something in your area that suits you better than food service. We are starting drivers at $23 and have some kind of referral bonus. SAIA is opening a terminal nearby and starting experienced drivers over $29.

Nearby where? BTW I am 35 years old with a clean record. I am just tired of working nights and weekends. I figured LTL local P&D would be right up my ally since I already have multiple stop loads where I use a pallet jack and hand truck. I'm going to try Southeastern freight because they only take one year to get a driver to max pay.

Nearby where? BTW I am 35 years old with a clean record. I am just tired of working nights and weekends. I figured LTL local P&D would be right up my ally since I already have multiple stop loads where I use a pallet jack and hand truck. I'm going to try Southeastern freight because they only take one year to get a driver to max pay.
New England. Sorry.

I turned it down.. $20.71 starting pay with only a 40 hour work week is only like $800 gross. Can't live on that. Plus it takes three years to get to top pay? Cmon, I have fifteen years experience.
Well I hate to say it your 15yrs do really mean ::shit:: in the LTL world. It's all about seniority. You go to any LTL company and will be told the same thing. UPS is 5yrs to top and starting pay is less the that 20.71

Well I hate to say it your 15yrs do really mean :::shit::: in the LTL world. It's all about seniority. You go to any LTL company and will be told the same thing. UPS is 5yrs to top and starting pay is less the that 20.71

UPS just had a contract go through. Starting wage may have improved.

XPO will not pay you for your experience, you go to the bottom with drivers that might have 1 yr under their belt. Weight out your options before you pull the pin, keep looking, foodservice will beat you up over the long run I'm sure you know that though.

It's know wonder why companies can't find drivers.

XPO will not pay you for your experience, you go to the bottom with drivers that might have 1 yr under their belt. Weight out your options before you pull the pin, keep looking, foodservice will beat you up over the long run I'm sure you know that though.

It's know wonder why companies can't find drivers.

He has probably read some of these pages. If so many are quitting to go else where. It is likely better off to start else where too.