XPO | "I heard a guy say'

my mouse clicks have more power than your mouse clicks LOL :nutkick:

Its all good rat ... :biglaugh:

OH SURE!!!!...go ahead and rub it in why don't cha!!!...:hand:....:tongue0002:

I may have to hijack some of the Jeffsters mouse clicks and then the fight will be on...:Duel:

Hell I may even try to buy some clicks from some of the other mods...:eck13:

Maybe I can get them off EBay...:biglaugh:

(Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain)...the Great and Powerful OZ has spoken!:wtflol:

Rat

:smilies-19296:

I haven't heard anything about closing service centers or taking more from us. I did hear that there will be big changes in linehaul. What that means, I have no idea, we'll see Monday.

They are rebuilding old trucks. This isn't a plan to stop buying new, as far as I know, it's a limited # to help get more trucks fast. They are better than the ait start junk, but not new. From what I've been told, they are 2001and newer that are getting fitted with air ride cabs and A/C (if they don't have it already). A reman engine and what ever else it need to make it reliable. I can tell you that the maintenance dept (all the way to the top) is commited to getting rid of the old units. It's not an easy sell to the BOD to spend that kind of money though.

Whiner

who cares if this is how rumors get started,the fact is they start somewhere,im just passin on something I heard not that I made up,i called a couple people on my way home and they had already HEARD this before me,i was just throwin something out there in an attempt to maybe find out a little more instead i get some wisecrackin,know it all tellin me i shouldnt post it unless i have evidence,hey buddy,go pound sand this is trucking boards not prezars board whatever the f... that means!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eck13:

You Are such a D---:eck13:::shit:::biglaugh::nutkick:

Here's my opinion:
This isn't my first Top Secret meeting, and from my experience the rumours over the weekend before the meeting are always worse than the reality once the curtain is pulled back.
I think this is because GO wants it that way, so whatever bad news there is, the rumour mongers have gotten us all so stirred up that since our worst fears did not come to fruition, what we DO learn seems like a piece of cake.
I also think that, no matter what we learn, there are those among us who will complain. John L. could hand-deliver a bonus check to their house and the conspiracy wonks would find something sinister in it.
I'm no John L. fan, and call me naive, but I don't think there's a giant conspiracy with him (or Doug S.) at the helm.

There are those who hanrangue me for saying this, but you know what? As long as I (and as many people as possible) don't lose my/their job, I don't really care what the news is. The worst news will be that guys, no matter what their tenure, will be losing their job.

City/LH permanent bids, seniority, long-boxes, 70 hour weeks, all this other stuff boils down to one thing---as long as I don't lose my job, I don't care.

I'm not in a position to instruct employees on a daily basis, but I can easily embrace the mentality that many who are espouse: "If you don't like it, you're welcome to go work somewhere else."

In my opinion, too many of us are coddled, and run crying to GO at the drop of a hat. Then we we learn something may inconvenience us (Monday's Big Mystery News) we get in a huff. You know what? If you don't like it, quit. No one is forcing you to work here.

I love rumours. Keep'em coming. By Monday, people will have us being bought and sold, wearing berets as part of the uniform, and delivering pizzas during P&D.

Thanks, you've been a great crowd!!
Be sure to tip your waitress....

who cares if this is how rumors get started,the fact is they start somewhere,im just passin on something I heard not that I made up,i called a couple people on my way home and they had already HEARD this before me,i was just throwin something out there in an attempt to maybe find out a little more instead i get some wisecrackin,know it all tellin me i shouldnt post it unless i have evidence,hey buddy,go pound sand this is trucking boards not prezars board whatever the f... that means!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eck13:

Wow, isn't that kind of harsh? I don't think prezars meant anything by it other than truck drivers are just a bunch of old ladys letting their imagination get away from them sometimes. I didn't see any wisecrakin and I don't think he is a know it all. Take it easy on people. You don't have to call him names if you don't like his post, just ignore him. Can't we all just get along?

The reality here folks, is that the company changes it's operation from time to time, as management sees a necessity to do so. It has happend in the past, is happening now, and will do so again at some point in the future. Quite often, those changes benefit some, are beneign to others, and adversely effect even more. Your perception of the new operations is based solely upon where you fall in the "effected" range of employees, the more negatively you are affected, the more vociferious will be the complaints.

They are expecting the complaints, perhaps even looking forward to see how many, and how vociferous they might become to judge the impact of the operational changes.

Speak up......let them know how it affects you. If you don't like it but can learn to adjust and live with it,,,,,,they need to know that. If it's a "watershed" momemt for you and makes it unlikely that you will remain in their organization much longer because of it.....they need to know that......
If you find it to be the single greatest thing since "sliced bread" and can only see the benifits, well.............they don't need to know that, that serves no usefull purpose whatsoever.......:ranting2:

Here's my opinion:
This isn't my first Top Secret meeting, and from my experience the rumours over the weekend before the meeting are always worse than the reality once the curtain is pulled back.
I think this is because GO wants it that way, so whatever bad news there is, the rumour mongers have gotten us all so stirred up that since our worst fears did not come to fruition, what we DO learn seems like a piece of cake.
I also think that, no matter what we learn, there are those among us who will complain. John L. could hand-deliver a bonus check to their house and the conspiracy wonks would find something sinister in it.
I'm no John L. fan, and call me naive, but I don't think there's a giant conspiracy with him (or Doug S.) at the helm.

There are those who hanrangue me for saying this, but you know what? As long as I (and as many people as possible) don't lose my/their job, I don't really care what the news is. The worst news will be that guys, no matter what their tenure, will be losing their job.

City/LH permanent bids, seniority, long-boxes, 70 hour weeks, all this other stuff boils down to one thing---as long as I don't lose my job, I don't care.

I'm not in a position to instruct employees on a daily basis, but I can easily embrace the mentality that many who are espouse: "If you don't like it, you're welcome to go work somewhere else."

In my opinion, too many of us are coddled, and run crying to GO at the drop of a hat. Then we we learn something may inconvenience us (Monday's Big Mystery News) we get in a huff. You know what? If you don't like it, quit. No one is forcing you to work here.

I love rumours. Keep'em coming. By Monday, people will have us being bought and sold, wearing berets as part of the uniform, and delivering pizzas during P&D.

Thanks, you've been a great crowd!!
Be sure to tip your waitress....
Let me understand what you said.

No matter what they do, take from you, lie to you about, - it's all okay? As long as you are still employed, then be a good worker unit by saying and feeling nothing?

OH SURE!!!!...go ahead and rub it in why don't cha!!!.......:tongue0002:

I may have to hijack some of the Jeffsters mouse clicks and then the fight will be on...:Duel:

Hell I may even try to buy some clicks from some of the other mods...:eck13:

Maybe I can get them off EBay...:biglaugh:

(Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain)...the Great and Powerful OZ has spoken!:wtflol:

Rat

:smilies-19296:

Hey Rat

I Love a good fight...Hell I'll give ya some of mine just so I can watch....:biglaugh:.....:sumo:....:chairshot:...

Here's a Secret Weapon, but use it very carefully..It is very powerful
just 1 click and..... :2affs5h:

Fact not rumor

Fact is that Ann Arbor (G.O.) home of the Wolverines. Probably in low spirits from the loss Saturday to the OHIO STATE BUCKEYES. how's that for spit in your eye. Go Bucks. Oh yeah, by the way, what bowl is Michigan in? The toilet bowl.

I heard a guy say thurs.night that the mon. meeting is about the tractors(old tractors are staying on the long runs) i heard him say that two terminals are closing maybe more(Greenville,wherever that is and someplace in kentucky,a T.M. let that slip) and also were going to start rebuilding old tractors instead of buying new dont know how much or if any of this is based on fact,just wanted to share!

I sure hope not, I work at a terminal in Ky. I got laid off last year, then got called back.

Fact is that Ann Arbor (G.O.) home of the Wolverines. Probably in low spirits from the loss Saturday to the OHIO STATE BUCKEYES. how's that for spit in your eye. Go Bucks. Oh yeah, by the way, what bowl is Michigan in? The toilet bowl.

jokes_toilet.jpg

Let me understand what you said.

No matter what they do, take from you, lie to you about, - it's all okay? As long as you are still employed, then be a good worker unit by saying and feeling nothing?

I think that is opposite from what he said. What I got is that the company wants you to crab and complain. They want to know that you are unhappy and or happy.

I heard a guy say thurs.night that the mon. meeting is about the tractors(old tractors are staying on the long runs) i heard him say that two terminals are closing maybe more(Greenville,wherever that is and someplace in kentucky,a T.M. let that slip) and also were going to start rebuilding old tractors instead of buying new dont know how much or if any of this is based on fact,just wanted to share!

why would anyone care about something that was said until it happens. besides i dont worry about trucks, claims, etc its just a job

From the original post...

As we are coming down to the wire...from everything I have able to determine from here and info I have gleaned from other sources this meeting/video is mainly a linehaul thing.

My best guess is the company wide conversion to 70/hr logs.

There are several reasons I believe this may be true. First and foremost Con-Way and every other LTL carrier out there is gearing up for someone to go belly up. This is not being cruel it is just a fact of the current business environment. Too much capacity is the pre-eminent problem all LTL carriers are facing today. Until such a time as some carrier ceases operations this capacity problem will continue.

But it cannot continue forever. There are some carriers in serious trouble and the cash is growing short. Banks may not be very receptive to loaning carriers money for continuing operations given this over capacity. Hence the old tired and worn out saying "we must be our own bank". If this turns out to be the case then I will admit the genious of the foresight our 'leaders' have demonstrated in the perception of the markets future when this was so wonderfully introduced April last.

If this isn't the case then they can continue to kiss my :eck13:

Secondly, there was some mention of sub-service vans being on the upswing. There will always be sub-service (or whatever you wish to call it) in the LTL business. It is now and will forever continue to be part of our world. It solves certain problems and is much cheaper than us in certain applications.

There is however a small caveat in that line of thinking. And that problem is availability. TL carriers are going to interline with us and others as a last resort. I am sure the LTL freight market price wise is 'bottom feeding' for the TL carriers. CWTL recently introduced a 'regional' service'...550 miles or less cutomer to customer. As their leaders put it..."the regional business does well even in times of econmic downturns"...or something similar.

More and more TL carriers are increasingly performing additional LTL style deliveries...utilizing the capacity of their available equipment. This is undoubtedly more profitable than hauling ours (and others) LTL interlined freight.

As things continue to get better the availablility of sub-service equipment is going to get more and more scarce. It does nothing for the company, for the most part at least, for CWTL to sub-service our freight. They are a profit center in their own right. If they are hauling freight for their own customers they are contributing to the bottom line...otherwise they are little more than a liability in the grand scope of things.

So what to do?...

The simple answer is to haul (and ultimately control) our own freight.

Under the current methodology this isn't going to work. Our LHers working just five days per week ain't going to get the job done...especially if one considers the imminent demise of some carrier in the LTL business.

(For you conspiracy theorists...I am not referring to YRC!)

The one thing that has been a problem in the last three to six months is all the vias and MT miles we are losing money on. This practice must cease. It is detrimental, certainly not cost effective and a waste of money and resources.

So the question remains...how to fix the problem?...I have ranted about this for months...there are going to be changes in the LH operation!...just common sense and observation of the industry.

Where is the one place in our operation to play 'catch up' if not the weekends? We can move freight anywhere we so desire and assist in the service requiements our customer's demand over the course of the two days where no one is doing business as usual.

Here are some thoughts on tommorows meeting/video...

70 hours logs (which I mentioned earlier)

Lay down runs...(Bigfoot do you still love me?)...:biglaugh:

Drum roll please!!!!!

System runs...running wild...or whatever one may wish to call it. Being on the road for days at a time....many other carriers are doing it...some are not..but the problem at hand it moving the freight with the available resources at hand. Some of those resources as I have mentioned may become scarce...and I cannot see Con-Way waiting for the other shoe to drop before addressing the problem....

Rat

I think that is opposite from what he said. What I got is that the company wants you to crab and complain. They want to know that you are unhappy and or happy.

No, I did not mean to imply we should sit idly by as the company (in the eyes of some) continues to give us the shaft.

My point, although I did not come out and say it, was that many are probably making a mountain out of a molehill in this case, fretting all weekend before we even know the story; and that when we DO find out tomorrow, it probably won't be nearly as bad as some of the theories posted here.

At least wait until you find out what you're upset about before getting upset; and even then, what good is getting upset? It's not like you or I can do anything about it. Our choices are take it, or seek employment elsewhere. (A choice, incidentally, I am fine with.)

I come to work, do the best I can, and go home. As long as CNW wants me to keep coming back and keeps paying me way above average for the region in which I live, I'm not going to complain. Certainly, if offered a better job, I'd bolt in a heartbeat, because CNW shows me no loyalty either, but in the current situation I'm in no position to quit if I don't like it, so I keep my mouth shut---especially if any changes don't effect me.

I only hope for the best for everyone, because inevitably, someone will probably end up unemployed tomorrow. I just hope it is as few of us as possible, starting with me.

so I keep my mouth shut---especially if any changes don't effect me.

That pretty much explains the crux of the problem doesn't it?

"It doesn't affect me...so I don't care!"

Con-Way has been playing that hole card for years and it seems to be working...at least in the above post!

Rat