XPO | "I heard a guy say'

From the original post...

As we are coming down to the wire...from everything I have able to determine from here and info I have gleaned from other sources this meeting/video is mainly a linehaul thing.

My best guess is the company wide conversion to 70/hr logs.

There are several reasons I believe this may be true. First and foremost Con-Way and every other LTL carrier out there is gearing up for someone to go belly up. This is not being cruel it is just a fact of the current business environment. Too much capacity is the pre-eminent problem all LTL carriers are facing today. Until such a time as some carrier ceases operations this capacity problem will continue.

But it cannot continue forever. There are some carriers in serious trouble and the cash is growing short. Banks may not be very receptive to loaning carriers money for continuing operations given this over capacity. Hence the old tired and worn out saying "we must be our own bank". If this turns out to be the case then I will admit the genious of the foresight our 'leaders' have demonstrated in the perception of the markets future when this was so wonderfully introduced April last.

If this isn't the case then they can continue to kiss my :eck13:

Secondly, there was some mention of sub-service vans being on the upswing. There will always be sub-service (or whatever you wish to call it) in the LTL business. It is now and will forever continue to be part of our world. It solves certain problems and is much cheaper than us in certain applications.

There is however a small caveat in that line of thinking. And that problem is availability. TL carriers are going to interline with us and others as a last resort. I am sure the LTL freight market price wise is 'bottom feeding' for the TL carriers. CWTL recently introduced a 'regional' service'...550 miles or less cutomer to customer. As their leaders put it..."the regional business does well even in times of econmic downturns"...or something similar.

More and more TL carriers are increasingly performing additional LTL style deliveries...utilizing the capacity of their available equipment. This is undoubtedly more profitable than hauling ours (and others) LTL interlined freight.

As things continue to get better the availablility of sub-service equipment is going to get more and more scarce. It does nothing for the company, for the most part at least, for CWTL to sub-service our freight. They are a profit center in their own right. If they are hauling freight for their own customers they are contributing to the bottom line...otherwise they are little more than a liability in the grand scope of things.

So what to do?...

The simple answer is to haul (and ultimately control) our own freight.

Under the current methodology this isn't going to work. Our LHers working just five days per week ain't going to get the job done...especially if one considers the imminent demise of some carrier in the LTL business.

(For you conspiracy theorists...I am not referring to YRC!)

The one thing that has been a problem in the last three to six months is all the vias and MT miles we are losing money on. This practice must cease. It is detrimental, certainly not cost effective and a waste of money and resources.

So the question remains...how to fix the problem?...I have ranted about this for months...there are going to be changes in the LH operation!...just common sense and observation of the industry.

Where is the one place in our operation to play 'catch up' if not the weekends? We can move freight anywhere we so desire and assist in the service requiements our customer's demand over the course of the two days where no one is doing business as usual.

Here are some thoughts on tommorows meeting/video...

70 hours logs (which I mentioned earlier)

Lay down runs...(Bigfoot do you still love me?)...:biglaugh:

Drum roll please!!!!!

System runs...running wild...or whatever one may wish to call it. Being on the road for days at a time....many other carriers are doing it...some are not..but the problem at hand it moving the freight with the available resources at hand. Some of those resources as I have mentioned may become scarce...and I cannot see Con-Way waiting for the other shoe to drop before addressing the problem....

Rat

I agree with everything you just said 100%.

I'll pull a set from Springfield, Mass to Fontana, Ca. If these are the changes I wouldn't love it but wouldn't quit over it either.

:drama:We'll all know starting in about 9 1/2 hrs.
I'll just get a good nights sleep and hope for the best.
Tomorrow promises to be a fairly busy day
Besides I happen to like the color brown.:biglaugh:

From the original post...

As we are coming down to the wire...from everything I have able to determine from here and info I have gleaned from other sources this meeting/video is mainly a linehaul thing.

My best guess is the company wide conversion to 70/hr logs.

There are several reasons I believe this may be true. First and foremost Con-Way and every other LTL carrier out there is gearing up for someone to go belly up. This is not being cruel it is just a fact of the current business environment. Too much capacity is the pre-eminent problem all LTL carriers are facing today. Until such a time as some carrier ceases operations this capacity problem will continue.

But it cannot continue forever. There are some carriers in serious trouble and the cash is growing short. Banks may not be very receptive to loaning carriers money for continuing operations given this over capacity. Hence the old tired and worn out saying "we must be our own bank". If this turns out to be the case then I will admit the genious of the foresight our 'leaders' have demonstrated in the perception of the markets future when this was so wonderfully introduced April last.

If this isn't the case then they can continue to kiss my :eck13:

Secondly, there was some mention of sub-service vans being on the upswing. There will always be sub-service (or whatever you wish to call it) in the LTL business. It is now and will forever continue to be part of our world. It solves certain problems and is much cheaper than us in certain applications.

There is however a small caveat in that line of thinking. And that problem is availability. TL carriers are going to interline with us and others as a last resort. I am sure the LTL freight market price wise is 'bottom feeding' for the TL carriers. CWTL recently introduced a 'regional' service'...550 miles or less cutomer to customer. As their leaders put it..."the regional business does well even in times of econmic downturns"...or something similar.

More and more TL carriers are increasingly performing additional LTL style deliveries...utilizing the capacity of their available equipment. This is undoubtedly more profitable than hauling ours (and others) LTL interlined freight.

As things continue to get better the availablility of sub-service equipment is going to get more and more scarce. It does nothing for the company, for the most part at least, for CWTL to sub-service our freight. They are a profit center in their own right. If they are hauling freight for their own customers they are contributing to the bottom line...otherwise they are little more than a liability in the grand scope of things.

So what to do?...

The simple answer is to haul (and ultimately control) our own freight.

Under the current methodology this isn't going to work. Our LHers working just five days per week ain't going to get the job done...especially if one considers the imminent demise of some carrier in the LTL business.

(For you conspiracy theorists...I am not referring to YRC!)

The one thing that has been a problem in the last three to six months is all the vias and MT miles we are losing money on. This practice must cease. It is detrimental, certainly not cost effective and a waste of money and resources.

So the question remains...how to fix the problem?...I have ranted about this for months...there are going to be changes in the LH operation!...just common sense and observation of the industry.

Where is the one place in our operation to play 'catch up' if not the weekends? We can move freight anywhere we so desire and assist in the service requiements our customer's demand over the course of the two days where no one is doing business as usual.

Here are some thoughts on tommorows meeting/video...

70 hours logs (which I mentioned earlier)

Drum roll please!!!!!

System runs...running wild...or whatever one may wish to call it. Being on the road for days at a time....many other carriers are doing it...some are not..but the problem at hand it moving the freight with the available resources at hand. Some of those resources as I have mentioned may become scarce...and I cannot see Con-Way waiting for the other shoe to drop before addressing the problem....

Rat
Pretty astute,well thought out and well said,i was with ya till the conspiracy theory denial about YRC,lets dont pretend that were not all waiting for them to go by the wayside,we dont want to see people lose jobs in this economy but people love to see a car crash,and by all accounts this co.is gearing up for something and that looks like YRC crashing.good writing RAT im now a fan of rodents and good luck at the meeting tomorrow,watch and enjoy john.L's overly repetitive hand diction while he speaks LMAO

Haven't seen Boxboss on here for a while...You tell me..
I checked Box Boss's profile yesterday and the last few times he posted on the Boards it was in the Sports threads. It has been a long time since he posted on the Con-Way Thread. I think maybe the Great One at the Chrystal Palace and the Media Rules thing could have something to do with it. He was on here too much to just vanish. There has to be a reason why.

That pretty much explains the crux of the problem doesn't it?

"It doesn't affect me...so I don't care!"

Con-Way has been playing that hole card for years and it seems to be working...at least in the above post!

Rat

Good One Rat. Also seems that some of that Blue Kool-Aid might have been consumed.

Con-Way has been playing that hole card for years and it seems to be working...at least in the above post!

Rat

I don't know what the above comment, presumedly directed at me, is supposed to mean.
Am I to take it that my instinct of self-preservation is something of which I should be ashamed?

I stated in two different posts that I hope no one, or as as as possible, are negatively impacted by tomorrow's mysterious announcement. Along that line, I don't have a problem admitting that, should jobs be lost...first and foremost, I hope mine is not among them. I would imagine we all feel that way.

In all honesty, I feel I'm pretty safe in my position, no matter what tomorrow's announcement, but I do have sympathy for those who might be impacted tomorrow.

This speculation is doing no one any good, and we'll start to know in 6-7 hours; so let's just wait and see, shall we?

How soon will it be on here after that? An hour? Less than that?

Drum roll please!!!!!

Rat

I still love you Rat. I don't know if everything you said has merit but I do believe that you are on the right track. I am not concerned with it as long as I make a paycheck. We have made changes in the past that I really didn't care for and well, changed my life but I dealt with it and moved on. Aside from the asking me to move to an undesirable location, I can adjust. I think we all can. This LTL business is evolving constantly and well, you can change or get left behind.

So, I like my turns but did laydowns in the past and if that is what comes, well, I will adjust to that again. I do think that guys are making a whole lot of noise about things that haven't happened yet. What ever the meeting is about, watch the video and then judge what it means to you. If you don't like it, make some noise. Since I work nights, I am sure I will find out on the good old :smilies-19296: for information. I love this place. Good laughs and most of the time, good info. :clap:

Rat

Yeah, if I am not happy well, it is like poking an alligator with a stick. I have a positive affect at a local level getting some things changed in the past that I/we didn't agree with. With that being said, you have to pick your battles. Vinyl forklift seats is not a battle I want to fight. New guys getting treated unfairly at a certain FAC, well that I will not stand still for.

Look at it this way, What ever happens, happens. Really, what are you going to do about it? Nothing. Your going to do what they say and keep going down the road. You are a employee and they are the employer. It's their company not yours and they make the rules.

:drama:We'll all know starting in about 9 1/2 hrs.
I'll just get a good nights sleep and hope for the best.
Tomorrow promises to be a fairly busy day
Besides I happen to like the color brown.:biglaugh:

Well you know what they say don't you? If it is brown, flush it. :biglaugh:

I don't know what the above comment, presumedly directed at me, is supposed to mean.
Am I to take it that my instinct of self-preservation is something of which I should be ashamed?

I stated in two different posts that I hope no one, or as as as possible, are negatively impacted by tomorrow's mysterious announcement. Along that line, I don't have a problem admitting that, should jobs be lost...first and foremost, I hope mine is not among them. I would imagine we all feel that way.

In all honesty, I feel I'm pretty safe in my position, no matter what tomorrow's announcement, but I do have sympathy for those who might be impacted tomorrow.

This speculation is doing no one any good, and we'll start to know in 6-7 hours; so let's just wait and see, shall we?

How soon will it be on here after that? An hour? Less than that?

I think he was talking about the "if it don't affect me-I don't care" statement. I would not want to go into battle with a guy that has that kind of attitude.

Haven't seen Boxboss on here for a while...You tell me..

Well...............IF, I knew the answer, and put it out on here: THEN, would I not be subject to a similar fate? Every so often, "silence" is the best response. (Ignorance either real or feigned can be a wise tactical maneuver).

5th Amendment: No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on presentment or indictment of a Grand Jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the Militia, when in actual service in time of War or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offense to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation.[1]

I have heard closing XLU and Greenville FAC'S. Something with the linehaul bids, but not restricted to city or L/H once you bid them this year. I hope this latter is true.

BoxBoss dropped off a while back complaining someone on another board stated he was giving false and misleading information. Considering this thread the speculation will now run wild.