Estes | I Love Estes Express Lines

whatever Mr. "all is gonna end soon guy." your little fuel crisis and all that Iran pirate stuff :hysterical:

I think it's a good time to get this one back on the headline page.

Even though this tough economic storm is blowing hard and sinking ships all around us, the good ole USS Estes is still floating. Full steam ahead Captain Rob! :boat:

I think it's a good time to get this one back on the headline page.

Even though this tough economic storm is blowing hard and sinking ships all around us, the good ole USS Estes is still floating. Full steam ahead Captain Rob! :boat:

I still say if Rob will open a foodservice division, I will be all over it, I am still sending $100.00 per week to the terminal here, just to do my part ya know!! I love The Big E too!!!!!

I still say if Rob will open a foodservice division, I will be all over it, I am still sending $100.00 per week to the terminal here, just to do my part ya know!! I love The Big E too!!!!!

Hey GT! good to hear from ya! If we start a grocery div. I'm gonna nominate you to run it. You know how to kick them groceries off bettern anybody!:kicking:

As someone who just found these boards while doing a search for the big buy up of YRC property I'd like to make this my first post.

I've been working for Big E for almost 12 years now and I have to say it is the best trucking job I've ever had. I started as a team driver and worked my way to the extra board, the green board, and finally my own run.

The company is laid back and I have all the freedom I need. If I need a day off no one questions it and I can freely take off whenever I need as long as I have someone to cover my run. (even if there is no one to cover it, they never complain) Back before the "big change" I never worked a Sunday in 7 years as someone was always wanting to work it and I often had Fridays off by letting a 3/2 laydown driver run it for extra cash on his Fridays off. No one ever *****ed at me or complained that I had too much time off. As the terminal manager used to say, "as long as it's covered, I don't care." What more could one ask for?

If one has a complaint they can just phone the head office and speak to one of the execs directly and THEY LISTEN and get things done more often than not. You do not even have to give your name if don't want to.

The trucks are well maintained and I never have to worry about "slip seating". Write it up and it's fixed immediately.

The pay is among the highest in the industry and where else could a truck driver make $60k+/year while only working from 8pm - 4 am (I have a short run and prefer it that way) and weekends off?

Others may beg to differ but, do your job, drive safe and legal and you'll have a great job for a long time as the company will never bother you. It may not be a utopia, but it is as close as I've come to a utopia on this planet.

As someone who just found these boards while doing a search for the big buy up of YRC property I'd like to make this my first post.
I LOVE GOOGLE. welcome and tell everyone at your barn about truckingboards

some changes for the better have came our way in Kansas city [thank god] ya'all will get your trucks fixed and not have to deal with Mr bad attitude anymore is all i will say.

I've been working for Big E for almost 12 years now and I have to say it is the best trucking job I've ever had. I started as a team driver and worked my way to the extra board, the green board, and finally my own run.

The company is laid back and I have all the freedom I need. If I need a day off no one questions it and I can freely take off whenever I need as long as I have someone to cover my run. (even if there is no one to cover it, they never complain) Back before the "big change" I never worked a Sunday in 7 years as someone was always wanting to work it and I often had Fridays off by letting a 3/2 laydown driver run it for extra cash on his Fridays off. No one ever *****ed at me or complained that I had too much time off. As the terminal manager used to say, "as long as it's covered, I don't care." What more could one ask for?

If one has a complaint they can just phone the head office and speak to one of the execs directly and THEY LISTEN and get things done more often than not. You do not even have to give your name if don't want to.

The trucks are well maintained and I never have to worry about "slip seating". Write it up and it's fixed immediately.

The pay is among the highest in the industry and where else could a truck driver make $60k+/year while only working from 8pm - 4 am (I have a short run and prefer it that way) and weekends off?

Others may beg to differ but, do your job, drive safe and legal and you'll have a great job for a long time as the company will never bother you. It may not be a utopia, but it is as close as I've come to a utopia on this planet.

great post and hello to ya Bibba! :wavey:

I had a job like that too !! Family run and you could even talk to the owner when he came around at least twice a year. Then the family got out of the day to day things and turned it over to the bean counter boys that are running it today. Matter of fact they just sold Estes a few propertys.
What a monster it has become ! GOOD LUCK

Welcome to the boards Bibba. I like your attitude. Watch out for those FedEx boys though. They'll try to tell you they're better than you are.:smilie_132:

Hang in there BuzzBeez it will get better!!! this is a Great place to work!

Now this is a line I have heard for a long time, but the last 2 years or so things have been getting worse. We are down on freight, guys sittin home or get out on the road and sit for 24 hours at a time at terminals and etc. .
The ship is sinking that is all I am seeing. Drivers getting treated like crap, rude dispatchers, this new way of doing linehaul sucks, etc.
This is what a man thinks that has to run the road all week.

INTOTHENOW said:
Now this is a line I have heard for a long time, but the last 2 years or so things have been getting worse. We are down on freight, guys sittin home or get out on the road and sit for 24 hours at a time at terminals and etc. .
The ship is sinking that is all I am seeing. Drivers getting treated like crap, rude dispatchers, this new way of doing linehaul sucks, etc.
This is what a man thinks that has to run the road all week.

Of course things have been getting worse! Do you not read the papers or listen to the business news? The economy has been in a downward spiral since October 2006 for Estes and the industry as a whole.

Heeello? "knock, knock". The light is on but it doesn't seem anyone is home!

Would you rather be working less and waiting more due to economic conditions or would you rather they just up and lay you off rather than keep you on which, from a business sense would be more economical to their bottom line? It may not be as many miles as you want as in days gone by, but at least you're working. So what's with all the complaining? Would you rather be unemployed with no benefits?

Would you rather take a pay cut and have lay-offs or would you rather be gainfully employed? You can always just quit and find employment elsewhere if you're treated so bad, but I guarantee it would probably be for less pay and benefits and you would be treated far worse.

I've found that if you're treated like an A*hole it's because you choose to take it because one phone call (your name will be kept annoymous if you request) about a rude dispatcher or a rude terminal manager would start an investigation and something WILL be done.

Take it from me. While on the road as an extra board driver I was often asked to "sharpen my pencil" to make a run beyond my hours or to do a run I know I could not possibly do legally and I always refused saying, "If you fax me in writing permission to run over my hours I'll gladly do it". Of course it never came. Finally I went to the top and was told that it would stop immediately. I was also told that if dispatch started to "short hook" me that I was to tell them. Needless to say I was not short hooked and received no retaliation. That was 7 years ago.

It pays to complain to those who will listen and who can do something about it instead of complaining on BB's to people with no power. Look INTOTHENOW, you may be a great guy, but this goes for all drivers in that my guess is they and you have never made one phone call to anyone and just enjoy bitc*ing on BB's or to anybody who will listen. Why drivers are so afraid to go to the top and do their complaining is beyond me. What are they afraid of? If enough drivers do it they cannot simply ignore it as it would be economic *******.

Psst. Here's a quarter. Call someone who cares and can do something about it. I can't be the only driver in the whole company who gets things done with a simple phone call to corporate when my gripe is legit.

Bibba is right there INTOTHENOW. If you have a real problem and can't get satisfaction from your TM you can go to your RDM and usually get things straightened out. Or if it's a dispatch problem you can go to somebody like Jim M. and get results. This company has the best open door policy I ever saw.