I Need a New Truck. Any Recommendations?

• Thread starter Deleted member 5115
  • Start date
I can't recall what the part was, but it wrecked all the hard parts in the transmission.

Sent from my drone magnet
Yeah, it basically burns up the fluid and destroys the valve body.
I know most of the 90's Silverado's I see always say rebuilt transmission..lol...and always around 100k to 180k miles. Once that part is changed, they seem pretty bullet proof, I hope mine is, it wasn't any fun getting it out of my 4x4 S10 Blazer...too much crammed into little package

Sacha, it was the muffler bearing discombobulator valve that went on our tranny. Honestly, looking back if we had of known what to look for before it went out we probably could have saved some money and had the part replaced before further damage was done. When we bought the Yukon it shifted a little rough. Not so rough that it was noticeable but after having the repair done the transmission now shifts like butter.Iif you look at a vehicle with that particular transmission and it feels like it gently tosses you from gear to gear it probably needs that part replaced. It's not a violent difference but very discernable after driving one in proper repair. I can't remember the exact dates but we did find out that the known issue was fixed after just a few years. Ours is a 2003 so somewhere on the 00 to 06,07 range I'do some rresearch on.

If you stick with the diesels in the 2000 and on Chevys, you get the Allison transmission. Or go with the 3/4 ton and gas model, but make sure it has the heavy duty 4L80 transmission in it.

Guardrail

I've heard nothing but great things about that Ford 7.3 that my mind was stuck on it. I have been a Chevy man most of my life and would have no problem owning one again. Is there a size or name for the motor? How many miles are they good for? I'll research that a little tomorrow.

Any Chevy diesel after about 2000 is a decent motor. After the three quarter ton truck was switched to the new body style in 2000, they started using the Duramax. The early Duramax is had issues with injectors and injector wiring harnesses, but that should all be worked out in the wash by now.

Guardrail

My neighbor has a 2003 GMC 3/4 ton that has a little over 250,000 miles on it and still going strong. He doesn't do any maintenance until it breaks.

Guardrail

I guess in the description he meant fog lights, all cars and trucks have driving lights, they are called your headlights!

I hate fog lights, I can't say on here what I call them, I already been told not to. What is wrong with me, a simple description of a pickup has me all a tizzy.

Wow, that was a nice little tantrum about fog lights there. LOL

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

I guess in the description he meant fog lights, all cars and trucks have driving lights, they are called your headlights!

I hate fog lights, I can't say on here what I call them, I already been told not to. What is wrong with me, a simple description of a pickup has me all a tizzy.

Actually he's right and you're wrong. Headlights are headlights. Driving lights are the clear lights in the bumper or some other low mount on the front of the vehicle. Fog lights are mounted in the same place, but have a yellow lens.

I met a girl at the beach one time. Her name was Gina. She was kinda sandy but she didn't mind.....:)

Ooops. Off topic.......I drove to the beach in a 02 Chevy :)

Back on subject. Don't think you could go wrong with a 2500 HD duramax with the bullet proof Allison transmission. The only problem I've had was front wheel bearings about $300 for both and fuel filter housing O rings. They sell a kit online for $25. It has a spin on transmission filter that needs to be replaced periodically. $11 at the local tranny shop. Probably cheaper online. It's hard on tires. Costs about $900 every two years for Michelin's.

Peeling body paint and tons of overheating/dilluted oil on the LB7 ('99-2004') engines that GM denied until being sued. Since the OP is likely looking at trucks in that year range I'd avoid the GM of that era like the plague.

I just had to share this..LOL

00M0M_jbDzVhSDPzU_600x450.jpg

Monster Truck 1996 Chevy C3500

Check out them foglights GT!!

Actually he's right and you're wrong. Headlights are headlights. Driving lights are the clear lights in the bumper or some other low mount on the front of the vehicle. Fog lights are mounted in the same place, but have a yellow lens.

I will never accept that, might you be one of them concrete cowboys that can't seem to pull his paw away from that foglight switch? BTW, yellow lenses are almost a thing of the past, they are white, I gotta get me a sack of marbles to let out the window when these ultra cool dip ***** run up on me with their out of adjustment 2nd set of headlights.