Yellow | I need some info please.

Jake

TB Lurker
Credits
I have been called in for orientation at the Marietta Ga terminal. I know that there will be some type of physical strength test. Can someone tell me what this test consist of and what does yellow expect in order to pass this test?
Thanks

Jake,Its been almost six years since I took the test but as I recall ,they have a bar attached to a chain thats bolted to a board and you have to stand streight and grab this bar ann curl it like lifting weights,and they measure how much weight you pull,Ithink you do this three times.Next,the same deal but che chain is shortened and you squat,keep your back streight and use your legs to do the pulling,the same way.Then comes the fun,you have to do as many sit ups as you can,I think it is for two minutes,After that you have to peddle a thing that looks like a bicycle sprocket with your hands and they count how many revolutions you can do in two minutes.With the sit ups they have one of the other guys hold your feet and count while you do them.If tou are in half way decent shape it isn`t that hard.They will explain the details of all the test,and how they score you.Good luck,and we`ll be waiting to hear how you make out.

Bufbill said:
Jake,Its been almost six years since I took the test but as I recall ,they have a bar attached to a chain thats bolted to a board and you have to stand streight and grab this bar ann curl it like lifting weights,and they measure how much weight you pull,Ithink you do this three times.Next,the same deal but che chain is shortened and you squat,keep your back streight and use your legs to do the pulling,the same way.Then comes the fun,you have to do as many sit ups as you can,I think it is for two minutes,After that you have to peddle a thing that looks like a bicycle sprocket with your hands and they count how many revolutions you can do in two minutes.With the sit ups they have one of the other guys hold your feet and count while you do them.If tou are in half way decent shape it isn`t that hard.They will explain the details of all the test,and how they score you.Good luck,and we`ll be waiting to hear how you make out.
The sit-ups are as many as you can do in one minute and when you do the bike peddle thing don't go wide open at first, go about 75% because at the end, the last 30 seconds, you will go at 100% and your arms will start to flop and you will be hurting. DON'T STOP, no matter how much you are hurting. I think they are looking for at least 200 revolutions in two minutes. The main thing is not to wear out before your two minutes are up. Let us know what you think and how you do on the test. Good Luck!

jake, I took the test a couple of months ago, it's still the same... the test people can't tell you how you did, you'll have to check with the terminal in a few days... i only did 15 sit-ups in a minute, and i passed.. good luck. I stopped pursuing the job, because I refuse to work for 75% of the rate again..

In my opinion....

The stress test isn't about being physical as much as it's an attitude test. Will you try as hard as you can, or give up? The reason I say that is when a group of us took the test, I was right behind a weight-lifter who was in excellent shape. He blew thru the bicycle test, but then acted like he was falling down out of breath, laughing the whole time to make fun of their "test". They pulled him aside and told him he wasn't "Yellow Material". I followed and did the same things he did with a straight face and passed with no problems............Since they won't tell you the results, I think they've monitored your work habits, and use this test to cut off the "undesirables" without getting any hassle from the union. Just my opinion, though. I had to hold the feet of a road driver who could only do 19 sit-ups. He tried repeatedly to make 20, and couldn't. They ask the guy holding the feet how many he did. They count too. If you lie, they cut you both off........:chairshot:

One hint to making it thru the bicycle thingy.......Sing a song silently to yourself. It sets a rythmn. Takes your mind off your arms and lets you peddle away! By the end of the time limit, I had the wheel bouncing off the table!:bgroovy: One guy I took it with had a heart-attack that evening. They let him get his time in anyway. I think they were afraid of the liability if they didn't................

jeff_spicoli said:
jake, I took the test a couple of months ago, it's still the same... the test people can't tell you how you did, you'll have to check with the terminal in a few days... i only did 15 sit-ups in a minute, and i passed.. good luck. I stopped pursuing the job, because I refuse to work for 75% of the rate again..

Don`t feel bad about not pursuing.....I had the letter of hire in my hands and turned it down......

I passed the physical strength test. I am a little confused about this process. I was told by managment that this was a full time position, City/ Dock combo. The union steward that signed me up to become a member said I was classified casual dock. The hiring manager said that after I worked 40 hours I would start my 30 day probation. I told the union steward this and he said with some disbelief, it could be. It looked to me like the union steward was shocked at what I was told by managment. I always thought that the union officials knew when a person was being hired for a regular position. Any feed back will be apreciated.

Jake,
Kennesaw Kid knows all the ins and outs about how casuals in the South are worked and hired. Something might not be right if the Steward raised an eyebrow at what Mgmt. told you, but who knows? Maybe you'll get lucky and they'll put you on the board right away.

advcie for no advice

yo jake....

until you make the list, don't take any advice from here.....

this is an oxymoron because i'm advising you of this......

nobody here is going to get you hired....

you, got to get you hired....

just do what they tell you and don't screw up (not screwing up is the most important thing).....

40 hours after you start in when your seniority starts as you will go from casual pay to probationary pay......

a clock punch on your probationary agreement is when your seniority starts (sooner the better)........

after you go through all the crap and make the list, we'll all start chiming in with all sorts of wild ideas to mess your head up along with everyone else connected with YELLOW.......

remember, a german shepard puppy quits whining after 8 weeks, @ YELLOW it never stops.......

best of luck to you........

mikeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Thanks Mikeeeee, I am not interested in a job with yellow if it means that I will have to be fearful of upsetting some dock forman every time I hit the clock.

Jake,
Don't make a huge mistake. Do as Mikeeeee said.....just go and do what they want you to and get on the board, which means get on as a regular employee and you'll be fine. Work hard and they'll hire you.
I mentioned Kennesaw Kid as a source of info for you, not as a job reference. If you are questioning a certain job or hiring practice, he will know the answer.

Thanks stldude44,
It is my desire to have a good union job. I was just a little concerned as to why the posted job was for full time rather than casual. It does seem that once hired you are considered casual. I will do what ever I am told to do regarding the movement of freight and the times in which I am to report. I guess whenever I start working the process will become more clear. Your reply was taken as you intended regarding kennesaw kid. Thanks

Jake,
You're welcome. When you start let them know you want fulltime. They must be busy and need help so be the hard worker they'd want to hire and you'll be fine.

stldude44, I have a start date and management says that I was hired for a full time combo driver position. 40hrs training then I go work with a hostler for a week or so, then I road test. After this, if managment likes what they see I start my 30 day probation. Once again thanks for the input.

In my opinion....

The stress test isn't about being physical as much as it's an attitude test. Will you try as hard as you can, or give up? The reason I say that is when a group of us took the test, I was right behind a weight-lifter who was in excellent shape. He blew thru the bicycle test, but then acted like he was falling down out of breath, laughing the whole time to make fun of their "test". They pulled him aside and told him he wasn't "Yellow Material". I followed and did the same things he did with a straight face and passed with no problems............Since they won't tell you the results, I think they've monitored your work habits, and use this test to cut off the "undesirables" without getting any hassle from the union. Just my opinion, though. I had to hold the feet of a road driver who could only do 19 sit-ups. He tried repeatedly to make 20, and couldn't. They ask the guy holding the feet how many he did. They count too. If you lie, they cut you both off........:chairshot:

One hint to making it thru the bicycle thingy.......Sing a song silently to yourself. It sets a rythmn. Takes your mind off your arms and lets you peddle away! By the end of the time limit, I had the wheel bouncing off the table!:bgroovy: One guy I took it with had a heart-attack that evening. They let him get his time in anyway. I think they were afraid of the liability if they didn't................
Did you have training wheels on that bike???