Post is from 2006!
Who dug up this antique post?
You guys really had to do all that?
Wow.
In 87 I had to pick up a wooden box.
Prove I knew how to drive a lift.
And a driving test.
Lie detector test too. I flunked that.
Still got hired. But mainly from references of past jobs.
Of course I could have rode a bike and done all that other crap.
Being 30 years old and straight out of the oilfields I was in pretty good shape.
Ain't doing any sit-ups now.
Or bike riding.
Test ought to be how long you can sit in a lift without moving.
GO!
Man this is ancient post.
Somebody dig something else up.
This is entertaining.
:17142:

Post is from 2006!
Wow.
And a driving test.
Being 30 years old and straight out of the oilfields I was in pretty good shape.
Or bike riding.
GO!
This is entertaining.

You didn't ride the "bike". It was a stress test where you sat in front of a "bike" wheel with two hand pedals, one on each side. You had to crank the wheel which was under some resistance and complete a certain number of revolutions in two minutes. Looks like a "piece of cake" right? That's what we all thought looking at it. I never got so worn down in two minutes in my whole life. Safety guy giving the test told us if we feel like we need to "throw up" after finishing to please do it outside the room. :smile new:

You didn't ride the "bike". It was a stress test where you sat in front of a "bike" wheel with two hand pedals, one on each side. You had to crank the wheel which was under some resistance and complete a certain number of revolutions in two minutes. Looks like a "piece of cake" right? That's what we all thought looking at it. I never got so worn down in two minutes in my whole life. Safety guy giving the test told us if we feel like we need to "throw up" after finishing to please do it outside the room. :smile new:
After handling fracking pipe in the oilfield for years I don't think it would have been a problem..
But. If I had to do it now it would be an effort.

After handling fracking pipe in the oilfield for years I don't think it would have been a problem..
But. If I had to do it now it would be an effort.

Don't kid yourself, none of us taking the test thought it would be a problem. It's not a strength test, more of an endurance test. You have no idea how hard it was to complete two minutes cranking that thing. Your arms feel like jello if/when you finish and you almost feel like passing out. A real "sleeper" of a test for sure.

when I started in 1990. they said bend over see how much you can take. because 30 years from now none of this will be the same! good luck and keep your nose clean

I’ve personally disagreed with Trip in the past on multiple topics. But, he’s right about one thing. If you ain’t happy, start looking around. I left with many years put in(25)for something else. Gents, there’s other jobs out there, union/non-union. Start looking is my best advice.. I moved on, to a union job, non the less. It’s out there guys. Just gotta grab a hold of your nut sack and move on.. Good luck to all of you brothers.

Post is from 2006!
Wow.
And a driving test.
Or bike riding.
GO!
This is entertaining.

Wow, in 1955 I had to adjust my own mirrors, know where to drain the air tanks and which direction was Atlanta.

Were you applying for a job? sounds like you joined the army.

When I applied in 1985, I had to do the following,just to get an interview with Roadway.
1. Break down a 4,000# skid of cement in 100 # bags,then restack it.
2. Pull 10 drag line carts off the line,and load all cartons in the correct trailer.
3. Load a 45’ trailer using only a pallet jack.
4. Pretrip a tractor,jiff it up,and hook the entire set in 15 minutes.
5. Then take the set to the Ace Hardware DC by the terminal and back the entire set,with the rear trailer to the dock,and only was allowed 2 pull-ups.
6. Then return to terminal by walking 3 miles.
7. Had to then do 100 push-ups without stopping,50 sit-ups,bench press 150#.
8. Go take a lie detector test.

Last edited:
When I applied in 1985, I had to do the following,just to get an interview with Roadway.
1. Break down a 4,000# skid of cement in 100 # bags,then restack it.
2. Pull 10 drag line carts off the line,and load all cartons in the correct trailer.
3. Load a 45’ trailer using only a pallet jack.
4. Pretrip a tractor,jiff it up,and hook the entire set in 15 minutes.
5. Then take the set to the Ace Hardware DC by the terminal and back the entire set,with the rear trailer to the dock,and only was allowed 2 pull-ups.
6. Then return to terminal by walking 3 miles.
7. Had to then do 100 push-ups without stopping,50 sit-ups,bench press 150#.
8. Go take a lie detector test.

90# bags of cement? That's the easy way. At Yellow we had to do all of that but with 150# jute bags of coffee beans from the Brooklyn docks. Then go light the kerosene headlamps on the tractor so we could see our way back to the terminal.