I ran across an interesting reality show on the weather channel, Highway Thru Hell

The truck in this video was driven by a "student". He killed himself and his trainer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Google to the rescue,the modern day Encyclopedia,to bad it was not around when I was in school.

you had an Encyclopedia when you were in school..??

all we had back then were "story tellers", and hieroglyphics on the walls..

I went over Donner last year. It was bare and wet and CalTrans was making trucks chain up. I should have parked and waited. Ruined all my chains and tore up the side rail on a new step deck.

Caltrans does this all the time. No snow, but chain controls are up. I will give them props though,they do keep that stretch of 80 clear for the most part.

The truck in this video was driven by a "student". He killed himself and his trainer.

i have seen this video numerous times, but never the aftermath pics.

student driver??

is the guy that took that video 1000% certain it was a student..??

was it ever in the news media it was a student driver..??

if not any of the above, then that driver taking the video cannot assume anything.

that was a CR England trainee..You see them smoking down the grades all the time...I just shake my head as I go by in the left lane.

Last edited by a moderator:
i have seen this video numerous times, but never the aftermath pics.

student driver??

is the guy that took that video 1000% certain it was a student..??

was it ever in the news media it was a student driver..??

if not any of the above, then that driver taking the video cannot assume anything.

that was a CR England trainee..You see them smoking down the grades all the time...I just shake my head as I go by in the left lane.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

oh...i never saw any markings on the trailer indicating it was a CR England, (not even shiny trailer doors, indicating a refer, which they pull what nearly 100% refer loads...??) nor was the tractor the typical red color of them.

I never saw the end result pics until now, the original report stated that the trainer was in the bunk with the student behind the wheel. Dont know how that was proven. I imagine both were ejected from the cab??

I never saw the end result pics until now, the original report stated that the trainer was in the bunk with the student behind the wheel. Dont know how that was proven. I imagine both were ejected from the cab??

and given that some trainers, use the student's log to drive.....

how is it known the student was indeed the actual driver

of course, should the driver have been seat belted in......that would clear up some.....student or trainer.

and frankly, how stupid can a trainer be, to be in the bunk at the time of descending such a mountain..??

does ANY trainer have "that much" confidence in ANY student..??

oh...i never saw any markings on the trailer indicating it was a CR England, (not even shiny trailer doors, indicating a refer, which they pull what nearly 100% refer loads...??) nor was the tractor the typical red color of them.

England runs whatever color freightliners. Red, Purple, Blue, White yellow..Any cookie cutter fleet spec truck. And I believe the trainer wasnt found till a day later in the cab

And out here in the west they pull alot of malwart loads, in plain white vans

England runs whatever color freightliners. Red, Purple, Blue, White yellow..Any cookie cutter fleet spec truck. And I believe the trainer wasnt found till a day later in the cab

And out here in the west they pull alot of malwart loads, in plain white vans

so as big as that tractor was...it took a whole other day to find someone in there.??

next time perhaps, they ought to use "seeing eye dogs"...??

prime out here, pulls wally world trailers, clearly marked as such.
the prime trucks are a rainbow of colors however.

i cannot say for certain, that i have ever seen any other color than red as a CR England truck...out here..

well i run the 80 lane here and they run it heavy. alot pull malwart trailers but alot are white with just numbers. CR uses alot of highly paid lease ops which leads to the skittles colors

well i run the 80 lane here and they run it heavy. alot pull malwart trailers but alot are white with just numbers. CR uses alot of highly paid lease ops which leads to the skittles colors

ahhhhh....that "splains it"....

then i guess, and going by the video, that trainer was a lease op..??

i sure do hope that last paycheck was worth his life.

then again, knowing that "some" trucking companies offer more money to students, to become trainers, (coughswiftcough),he could have been just as inexperienced as his student.

I drove some of those Corn Flakes cab over whites working the city back in the day.
The days when we city LTL drivers didn't see any women drivers in the trade.

Well not that I'm against women drivers,it was just them old cabovers didn't have any creature features along with no power steering.