I think I'm becoming a pizza snob

MikeJ

TB Veteran
Credits
There is this pizza place on my route that, I was curious about it's a pizza place and I had high hopes for it.
The building is kinda cool and actually I want an HO scale model of there building for my train set, that I'm building eventually, but that's a different story.

Any how I had high hopes, for their pizza, and it was kind of disappointing. It's wasn't the worst, but I've had much much better, the menu this place had was pretty good and the specialty pizza's they had were well thought out and everything they had on their menu was certainly all together and had the perfect makings for something good.

However the execution wasn't as good. The pizza I thought was a little cheap on the toppings and the ingredients I could tell were more of lower end variety.

I mean besides Little Caesars $5.00 ready pizza's, but generally all pizza is fairly expensive some more then others, but the pizza I had last night was about the same cost wise as the better stuff I usually buy. Any how I thought the toppings were cheap, and the pizza wasn't to doughey, but it wasn't cooked particularly well, pretty mediocre. I was sad and let down.

Usually to me in my younger days pizza was pizza and it was all good. However, now that I am older and wiser, I can say that's good, that's mediocre and that's bad. Now don't get me wrong, even mediocre is still good, but a lot of people don't know good from bad especially pizza wise.

As far as chains go, Pizza Hut is on top although they have gone down hill since the late 1990s, but I also tend to like Domino's as well. Papa John's is like #3 to me.

I feel you Mike! Sounds like greed to me, pizza is expensive but the profit margin is high, sounds like the owner was really trying to max profits by compromising quality, I hate pizza hut, the deep dish is to greasy for me, dominos sucks too! Order late at my dominos and they will give you a substandard product, for instance we ordered cheezy bread and it was over cooked and had corn meal pouring out of it, awful I tell you.

For me the most consistent chains are papa johns, here we have simple simons, it used to be really cheap yuck pizza when I was younger, now they have changed their outlook on the food they prepare and its some of the best, far exceeding dominos!! We have hungry howies here too and they are really good!

Hungry Howie's is one place I don't go to very often, but any time, I have had them they have been good. The only thing at Pizza Hut I like is the stuffed crust. Pizza Hut has been going into the toilet the past 15-16 years. Once Pepsi sold them off they really took a noise dive. The rest of what was Pepsi Food Service I never go to. KFC, Taco Bell and Long John Silvers. I avoid Long John Silvers and Taco Bell to this day I have never eaten at Taco Bell.

KFC I don't go to either, however if you gave me some chicken from them I would eat it, I can't knock KFC to to much, but that is a good point Papa Johns is consistent, Papa Johns I don't have anything against, really.

Pizza Hut is about as good as frozen pizza from the grocery store. Oh wait, Pizza Hut pizza is frozen pizza. Domino's and Papa John's are uniformed. Dough arrives already to go from the commissary, exact amount of toppings across the chains, etc. I like and mainly stick to the local mom and pop's in my area. The mom and pop's in my area outnumber the big chains 4-1 which is a good thing since there is a lot of competition.

The mom and pops are good, we have several here as well, I like Mary Janes, open from like 2340 to 0420, really good food, and if your not careful, a contact high...LOL!!

Joe & Pats' on Stanton Island....hands down the best Pizza I've ever had.

Pieology is pretty good for a chain. It's relatively new, so if one pops up in your area check it out. Pieology | Locations

Mountain Mikes' is another. Mountain Mike's Pizza - Locations

Dominos, Pizza Slut, Round Table, Little Caesars, Straw Hat....all those are akin to claiming McD's or BK makes a good burger. Some are better than others, but they aren't a good burger.

There is a piology in Cincinnati, Ohio, which is a tad far from me, but my brother lives in Kentucky, right over the Ohio River, he could go there.