I think I'm going to become one of you guys!

MikeJ

TB Veteran
Credits
So I called the city and I think I make to much money for them, so there looking for someone cheaper, so there goes my career in civil service, guess I'll have to stay in the private sector.

That being said I think I'll stay at the beer truck company for another 6 months or more get my year in and all that good stuff. Then either Lipari foods because the drop lot is on Brookpark Road not far from my house or Hillcrest Food Service because there not really that far from my house either.

One thing that might be nice is, no empty kegs, no kegs at all, not doing 20+ stops a day although your days are as long as mine. Not having to deal with Wal-Mart and Target oh how wonderful!

Might be worth it, or maybe go over to gasoline tanker I can't do anything easy (is there such a thing as easy? ha-ha!)

IF i leave my freight job and that's a big IF I'll be looking at fuel tankers to. Especially since I can bring the truck home for this one company I would drive for. Save me lots of gas and wear and tear on my car.

No seriously though I've been really considering the jump to gasoline tanker, I want to work for Royal Dutch Shell here in Cleveland, they have nice trucks I mean they really do and they seem to be a nice company and all the corporate owned gas stations are clean and big and really not all that bad. They start off at like $25.00 an hour which is pretty good dough to start, but I don't think at this point in time I have been around long enough to get a job at Shell. I think I need to have more experience. I could probably go to one of the other tank companies, but I'd rather work for Shell.

The only thing I don't know about gas tanker is okay say you have truck driving experience, but not tanker, do they still take you or do they say go work at another tanker company and then apply here. However really with gasoline tanker it's the what to do once you get to the gas station that is the big thing because that's where the rubber really meets the road in that job.

Know how much a tank can hold making sure you don't spill and making sure you don't put Diesel in the 87 octane tank, not good.

I would seriously doubt a fuel company would hire you with one year under your belt. It would somewhat depend on their available driver pool, if anyone else with their application in that has more experience especially fuel or tank would be ahead for sure. I've spent most of my career in heavy haul (except a little stent in freight and food service) but for years I've had a part time gig filling in pulling a tanker, and that's a whole different animal. I'm not in anyway trying to discourage you but I would just be surprised if you walked in off the street and got that job, but good luck because I think that could be a career worth pursuing.

I would seriously doubt a fuel company would hire you with one year under your belt. It would somewhat depend on their available driver pool, if anyone else with their application in that has more experience especially fuel or tank would be ahead for sure. I've spent most of my career in heavy haul (except a little stent in freight and food service) but for years I've had a part time gig filling in pulling a tanker, and that's a whole different animal. I'm not in anyway trying to discourage you but I would just be surprised if you walked in off the street and got that job, but good luck because I think that could be a career worth pursuing.

I don't expect to get hired by a tanker company, I don't have enough experience that's 24-36 months down the road from now I've even said that, while it's interesting to me, I'm not qualified, I my self don't feel qualified to do that.

If I crash a trailer loaded with food I might get fired.
If I crash a trailer loaded with gasoline I might get fried.

No thanks.

Well Lazlo,
That's why I got into this crazy business in the first place, because the cargo is pretty harmless. I always though gasoline tanker it's HAZMAT and it's tanker so not only is it volitile, but it's sloshing around granted gasoline tankers are compartmentalized, but all that liquid is still in there sloshing around and while delivering food or beer is hard, delivering gasoline can become very technical and really is the type of job with no margin for error.

It's a lot more complicated then connect the hose to the tank and hit the lever and wait till it's done.

I seriously though am really considering the switch to food, either Hillcrest or Lipari Foods.

I don't expect to get hired by a tanker company, I don't have enough experience that's 24-36 months down the road from now I've even said that, while it's interesting to me, I'm not qualified, I my self don't feel qualified to do that.

I wasn't trying to make you mad, sorry. I was just trying to be helpful. But I really don't think driving a fuel tanker is a bad goal to have, that is something you can do until retirement without killing yourself and make a real good living along the way. If I were to leave heavyhaul again it would be for fuel I think.

I wasn't trying to make you mad, sorry. I was just trying to be helpful. But I really don't think driving a fuel tanker is a bad goal to have, that is something you can do until retirement without killing yourself and make a real good living along the way. If I were to leave heavyhaul again it would be for fuel I think.

No no no no no you didn't make me mad not at all, I fully agree with you 100%. Darn internet you can't get people's tone from it LOL. No need to apologize. I agree I don't think I am qualified for fuel tanker ha-ha! I mean bureaucratically speaking ha-ha I am, but no I agree I don't have enough time under my belt and I'll tell you fuel tanker there's a lot going on there, you have to be very careful pretty much how you go about everything. The tanks have to be vented properly and ground properly and watching how much it goes in, because those tanks can only be filled like to 90% full.

What about freight? It's way easier on the body

That was next I thought about doing your job for Pitt-Ohio, but there not hiring right now. Gas tanker I thought would be good because it's fairly local, and isn't 20-25 stops a day, and isn't physically as hard, but there is a lot of other things and politics going on and as Lazlo pointed out they don't call them ******* jockeys for no reason.

Seriously today I was thinking about making the switch in another 6 months over to food.
Its a job for a man, lots of work, but your no stranger to work, I got respect for you for that Mike, my daughters boyfriend hasn't worked a lick in 8 months, I even offered to help him get a good teamster job. Lazy as a cat this one is, I have given up totally. Good luck to the girl I say!

Thanks GT,
You know if my girlfriends dad said to me "Say son, I can get you a good job, where you will make solid wages and have big time benefits." And I had not worked in 8 months I would say "Yes this is good what do I have to do to get in the door sir? and bye the way thank you for the opportunity I will try my best not to let you down."

I don't know I've never been one of those people I've always worked somewhere never been unemployed for 8 months. Especially if I was able to work, and do something. Why would I want to be broke and struggling.