SAIA | I Was Fired Without Warning

Trucker Rich

TB Lurker
Credits
The following is the letter I just E-Mailed to the Present of Saia...

Mr. President,
Rick O

It is with a sad heart that I must report to you that our six plus year partnership has come to an end. The company has decided that I am no longer an asset to the Saia family. In my over eager attempt to super serve the company and the needs of our customers, I took a little too much initiative and acted. I thought, in the company's best interest. I acted without the authority of Line Haul, or the terminal manager. Well, these actions, were not well received. They led to over a week of suspension and then my termination.

As a company driver it is my duty to take initiative. My tractor needs service or repair, when do I get it done? Do I scale this load? Where do I fuel? If there is a traffic backup, do I try and go around? Where do I stop to chain up? Up there as far as I can go, or take the exit before to get off the highway? I do not call in to get authorization for these decisions. I crossed the line in Medford, but where is the line?

It strikes me funny that something like this could get a person fired. If I thought for one second that my actions would reflect negatively on me I would not have done it. I was expecting a big thanks from the boss when I got back. I love this company and planned on retiring here. While I am not going to point fingers or throw anyone under the bus, in my 6 plus years I have heard and seen much worse things done by our drivers that continue to work here, than I have been fired for now.

I have seen with my own eyes, including but not limited to, trailers slide off 5th wheels and hit the ground, drivers dragging locked up wheels across the yard, mis-pulling trailers, charging the company for chaining or delay time that was not earned, crashing or damaging company equipment and property, slamming and damaging customer freight on the docks. Some of your drivers are keeping track of money they think are being shorted and plan to try and collect these shortages after they leave. Yet they fire me because my meet driver ran out of hours 30 miles short of completing his run and I went to where he was and rescued the truck and customer's freight and completed the run for the company.

While some of those offenses are major, I would have thought that perhaps the company swatted a fly with a bazooka in my case. If the boss was so annoyed at me, the handbook says that I have to be written up first, then on the next offense I could be suspended or fired. I do not have a write up in my file... I have been a model employee without issue...

Maybe, it is the new layoff program that was initiated by my case. The last two rounds were layoffs, and now the company's new plan to make cuts, is to fire drivers for lesser offences... This sounds a little closer to the truth. When I tell fellow drivers and friends I have in the industry, what has happened to me, they can not believe it.

For over six years with Saia, I have had 0 moving violation convictions, 0 preventable accidents, an excellent ontime service history, I drive like the boss is following me every day. I make sure that my tractor is serviced and maintained. I am well liked by the bosses and drivers at the terminals that I service. Reno and Jack in FSN, Tim in STK, Chris, Eric and Joe, in SAC, Tim in RED, and the whole ONSITE staff, in MED. As a matter of fact, in Medford, I help other drivers hook their sets while I wait for my suttle ride to the hotel, for free, just to help out...

The only person that does not care for me is the Medford TM Shane N, he and Mike E in LH are the ones heading this action to have me fired.

I tell everybody that I run into "Just another beautiful day in paradise! Living the dream!" Paradise has had some passing clouds this week, but I can see the blue skies coming back. Don't worry about me, with my experience and qualifications I will be working again very soon. ( 17 years OTR , perfect DMV )

As always, I wish you and the Saia family the best of luck in the future. I am just sorry that I can't be a part of it...

Merry Christmas...

Richard L
X-Line Driver

On Tuesday December 16, 2008 around 5am, I called my meet driver to get an estimate of his arrival time. I knew the weather and road conditions were bad and he probably had a very bad night. He said that he was in Cottage Grove and was having troubles. He called me back later and told me that he would be shutting down in Grants Pass, 30 miles North of Medford due to running out of hours...

I went to the yard to see what the game plan was. Bill told me that there was no spare truck. I asked if any of the drivers in the room was going north.

Robert was in the street hooked and ready to go. I went out there and asked him if he could take me to Grants Pass and drop me off. He said he would. I went inside and called line haul.

After 20 minutes on hold I asked Bill if this plan was a good idea. He said that it sounded reasonable. I said that I know that you don't have the authority to let me do this but does this sound like a good idea? He said that it did. Line haul still had me on hold, I hung up the phone and got into Robert's truck and went to Grants Pass.

I was afraid that if Robert left and did not take me, that this oppertunity would have been lost, when Line Haul did answer the phone.

He dropped me off and 5 minutes later John pulled in. I got in the truck and drove straight to the Medford yard. I broke up the set and put the loaded trailer to the door and removed the 3 Medford bills onto the dock.

I hooked up to my assigned trailers and then called in.

My plan seemed like a logical coarse of action, since this was the way to has been done countless times in the 6 years that I have been on the run. I personally have rescued distressed equipment and drivers in the past, and I myself have been rescued in just this fashion.

I realize now, that I should not have planned at all. That the bosses had the situation well in hand and I messed things up. I am sorry. I take full responsibility for these actions.

I truly thought that I was helping, and I only had the best intentions of the company and the customers freight in mind.
It will never happen again.

Richard L.

Interesting chain of events and good luck on your intentions.I guess taking an unauthorized initiative is not healthy in our industry these days.I guess you would have some guys take the action you took and others that would not without authorization.
Without knowing trends and protocol within your company,my choice would be the latter.
With your claimed driving record and work history,maybe your termination will be reversed...Good luck..:1036316054:

I hope you get your job back Rich, it sounds like you were trying to do good and took someones authority away in the process, I wish you well and God bless.

Rich it sad that these events cost you your job. I pray that you get justice rather it be a reinstatement or a better opprotunity. Keep your head up and stay positive. You may try to get a written appeal to a review board I know we use to have this not sure if they still allow them read the hand book. Keep us posted

I think i would have written the statement like you have written the letter to the President.From the heart!You were doing what you thought was best for the company.Screw these azzholes they don't deserve an employee like you...Good luck!

Rich sorry this happened to you! As a Saia line driver I can say that the steps taken against you were wrong (if the chain of events are as you say). While you should not have made a dissuasion on your own like this, you definitely should not be terminated. It sounds as though you did what you felt was right for the company to make sure that the freight would get serviced in a timely manor. I just wonder if there was GSS Freight in the trailers that would not have gotten serviced if you did not go and get those trailers what would they have thought then.
Good luck in the future,
TODD

Is it possible that you made Mike and Shawn look bad and that's why they went 'gunning' for you? In any event you took the lead and did what you thought was the best course at that time,sorry to hear it bit you in the azz! does that B/S go on your DAT record,not sure how that works. Best of luck to you.

I think i would have written the statement like you have written the letter to the President.From the heart!You were doing what you thought was best for the company.Screw these azzholes they don't deserve an employee like you...Good luck!

I agree with this post completely. If you care for your job as much as you say you do write or even try to call the president.
You just might be able to reach him. But at lest write the heart felt letter.

A hard way to learn a valuable lesson. I'm with UPSF and run up north with some of the Saia drivers. Good Bunch...:1036316054:

Hay rich,
I read your side of things what was the company's reason you were let go?
I didn't see a fireable offense. You weren't given permission to drive your meet mans truck?
Did you go over time on your log did you steal time in there eyes.
It sounds like you made the right decisions to me. Looks like you took the intuitive to me.

I saw things like this happen at USF Dugan.
I had seen people get fired for no reason at all and then next week someone would do something worse and nothing would happen to him at all.

Sorry hope things turn around.

I Have not Talked to my TM Yet...

Hay rich,
I read your side of things what was the company's reason you were let go?
I didn't see a fireable offense. You weren't given permission to drive your meet mans truck?
Did you go over time on your log did you steal time in there eyes.
It sounds like you made the right decisions to me. Looks like you took the intuitive to me.

I have not talked to my TM yet. I have been going online and checking the Saia website. My regular check was posted today and I saw my last check, the one with next years 2 weeks vacation payout on it. It may arrive tomorrow.

Also, This was my truck... With all of my stuff in it... Gloves tools, log book, chaining over clothes... I would have needed to chain that morning to get home... As it turns out they lifted the chain law 30 minutes before I got there...

Richard

Rich,
It's too bad that you had to learn the hard way that few of hese companies care if an employee goes above and beyond the call of duty like you did. You are a good, enthusiastic employee and some other company will probably be glad to have you. It's a shame you'll have to be looking for a job in hard times like these. Best of luck and Merry Christmas to you.

The company wonders why drivers do not take more pride in their jobs. Well....I guess this is a reason why. Yeah, yeah I know you are not suppose to make those types of decisions on your own, but it seemed to be a very beneficial one to all involved. I don't know what to tell you. I wish you all the best of luck whatever happens. I don't have an opinion of Rick O, but he made some things happen during the one quarterly meeting he hosted at our terminal. He asked for comments from the employees, and he handled/fixed alot of them from what everyone said. He just might take charge and help you get your job back. You never know....

Good ole US of A It's not what your company can do for you, It's what can you do for your company? Go by protocol and leave the good samaritain morals at home on your dresser.

TR. You are just another stepping stone for those glutons at saia. saia does not care about anyone. As long as upper management retains their jobs, that all that matters. They see ANYTHING as a chance to save money. In their eyes, sooner or later, drivers will come to apply for work. Wouldn't it be nice if NOBOBY applied for a job at saia? It wiill not happen that way though. BUT, maybe your treatment will get others to make a difference in SOMEONE ELSES job. One day, maybe, drivers will stop "going above the call of duty" and saia will have to start treating the drivers like real people. Good luck in your job search.

Two ways to look at this, one is you may get you job back and I hope you do. If I had a company, I would hire you if what you say is correct and I suspect it is.
two. If you get your job back, you will have hell to pay, from the one who fired you.
I am retired now, but back in the day, I made many decisions like that and only once I was nervous about getting the ax. Lucky for me I had covered my tracks and they did not know what all I did for them. Sometimes it is better to do it and not let them know what happened. This case would have been hard to cover up. I do believe if you write the letter you have a better chance than if you do not. Good Luck and Merry Christmas!

GOOD LUCK with your situation but being a former SAIA driver in clt I can tell you that Rick O'dell doesn't give a crap about you.back in 2000 Myself and 2 other drivers gave 227 sales leads in 2 weeks.after no response from the sales reps.I went through the chain to see if any of our leads produced or were no good due to pricing or such.I finally called Rick and discussed the situation with him and somehow he spun it around like it was my fault.shortly after that myself and 2 of the other bottomfeeders got laid -off.after 2 weeks they got called back but I sat at home.They hired 3 off the street within 6 months.Handbook states any layoff b4 they hire off street within 6 months they must call you back.I called HR and they never returned my calls.contacted an attorney he stated since nc is a right to work state that I'm screwed.HOPE YOUR SITUATION TURNS OUT DIFFERENT .

Rich sorry this happened to you! As a Saia line driver I can say that the steps taken against you were wrong (if the chain of events are as you say). While you should not have made a dissuasion on your own like this, you definitely should not be terminated. It sounds as though you did what you felt was right for the company to make sure that the freight would get serviced in a timely manor. I just wonder if there was GSS Freight in the trailers that would not have gotten serviced if you did not go and get those trailers what would they have thought then.
Good luck in the future,
TODD

No good deed goes unpunished.

Good luck in the future,
TODD

No good deed goes unpunished.