Yellow | IBT Agrees to Divisive YRC Pay Deal

From my understanding the ELDs are going to be leased not purchased but leased from the company at a minimum installment plan just like all the white trucks
Leased property and leased rolling stock (fork lifts, road tractors, trailers, city tractors, yard horses, salesman's' cars, mechanics shop vehicles, etc.) are all untouchable in any bankruptcy proceedings that may occur. The company owned property and rolling stock is sold off for cash. Where the cash goes, nobody knows (except the few that pocket it or put it towards their retirement fund when the company folds overnight)

Leased property and leased rolling stock (fork lifts, road tractors, trailers, city tractors, yard horses, salesman's' cars, mechanics shop vehicles, etc.) are all untouchable in any bankruptcy proceedings that may occur. The company owned property and rolling stock is sold off for cash. Where the cash goes, nobody knows (except the few that pocket it or put it towards their retirement fund when the company folds overnight)
That's there plan,They own nothing,and we get nothing.

I can understand part of what the Union & management did. Take the metro New York area. Didn't New York City (Or State) raise the min wage to $15 an hour? Remember they have to follow the law first and not the contract. If the law says pay more there's not much of a choice is there? This position dose not work everyplace that got the bump, Only in those areas that have a higher min wage.New Penn Reading Pa? Carlisle Pa? BLATT! No sorry.

sounds like a change of operations coming this summer...anybody got some details
The "change" may well be going from "operating" to "not operating".
One day they are seemingly operating normally. All the bosses from top to bottom are saying everything is normal. Don't believe the rumors.
Then overnight, everything stops. Security guards show up and lock the gates. Trucks can enter but none allowed to leave.
Security guards roam the yard and the dock.
You are told to remove all your personal gear from the company property. (Get ALL of it. You will not be allowed to re-enter)
No employees allowed to enter (except those returning to terminal with company equipment) - only company officials, but none show up.
All bank accounts frozen. Any checks (including payroll checks) that have not been previously cashed, will bounce.
If payroll checks are on automatic electronic deposit, they will NOT be credited to your account after a certain time and date determined by the company previous to the unannounced shut down.
Any overdrafts due to the "automatic deposit" not being made to your account, will be charged to you.
Even if you are holding an actual paper payroll check issued before shutdown and signed by company exec James L. Welch, it will bounce
That check will be considered a bad check being passed by YOU - not James L. Welch or the YRC authorized signer, like it should be.

It happened to me twice, in spite of the WARN Act that has been in place since 1988.
The companies seem to just "thumb their nose" at things like the WARN Act and litigate everything for years or until all the money is gone.

I argued with the bank that it was NOT my name on the bottom of that check. I did not issue the check. The company wrote the bad check.
Why am I being charged with trying to deposit a bad check? Go after the person who issued and signed the front of the check.
It fell on deaf ears. Even though the check was issued and signed before the account closed, the company did not leave enough money in the account to cover checks already written. It took months to get my financial record cleared through that bank and the credit reports.
I suggest anyone else try this. Write a check and use it to buy something. The account does not have enough to cover the check or the check is written on a closed account. The check bounces when the other party tries to cash it. Who do the bank and the authorities go after for passing a bad check? You for passing it ? or the poor scmuck that took it and later tried to cash it ? (even though he had a signed and dated check issued by the company) In this case - Company wins - scmuck loses.

Isn't t strange how the laws are different for the common working people as they are for big corporations ?

sounds like a change of operations coming this summer...anybody got some details

Supposedly the locals will get it soon.....I was told it would be heard in June.....Bidding will be in July, and it will be implemented in August....And, don't ask....THERE ARE NO DETAILS YET.....Just a heads up on the months that will be involved.....KK

Supposedly the locals will get it soon.....I was told it would be heard in June.....Bidding will be in July, and it will be implemented in August....And, don't ask....THERE ARE NO DETAILS YET.....Just a heads up on the months that will be involved.....KK
Just friendly advice.................Don't be making any big purchases......hunker down.

This latest development is an obvious indication of just how financially strapped YRCW is. The IBT is well aware of how many Teamster jobs are in peril, should YRCW fold. And make no mistake, with an O/R hovering around 100, we are in trouble financially. I will not get into a debate about the causes, the bottom line is the IBT is convinced of the dire condition of YRCW. There can be NO OTHER reason for them to so quickly agree to something that is so divisive.
So now the question becomes is this too little, too late? IMHO, I believe it is. Don't forget there will be significant expenses for the conversion to ELDs. That, in and of itself, could sink YRCW.
their debt was 1.36 Billion, they've taken 3-4Billion dollars from us, how could they be financially strapped?

I can understand part of what the Union & management did. Take the metro New York area. Didn't New York City (Or State) raise the min wage to $15 an hour? Remember they have to follow the law first and not the contract. If the law says pay more there's not much of a choice is there? This position dose not work everyplace that got the bump, Only in those areas that have a higher min wage.New Penn Reading Pa? Carlisle Pa? BLATT! No sorry.
Reading and Camp Hill were the biggest volume and money makers until our COO in which Reading lost like half of its work to Camp Hill and Cinnaminson and Trenton a few months back.
A couple years back, Reading had only CDL full time employees. Everybody could do everything...meaning we could bid road or city(which we still can)...but we had only nonCDL's as casuals...no full time nonCDL's. It got clogged in Boston and they needed a bailout from any terminals casual dock guys which would go help them.. During that time 3 reading dock guys went to help them.....during that time....all three triggered into preferred stratus....meaning they were now to be put on as full time once hitting their hundred days...and triggering meant it couldn't be stopped.....also whilst they were gone our terminal was very busy. And we couldn't get any help to keep up with the freight. New Penn violated their promise not to use cartage in Reading, which was promised personally to us by corporate...that NPME would NOT use cartage in Reading because cartage was never used in Reading for decades. As soon as drivers heard dispatch on the phone to call for cartage a call went to eastern region which was Ernie Soehl Ernie said he would take care of it and he did. It took three weeks but at the end of August they(the cartage company) were gone. Three nervous weeks for the local cartage company which started pulling our trailers.....those guys were yelled at and chased around the property everyday they came in...and they had to walk though our guys every trip to get any paperwork..It wasn't a pleasant experience for them..and I'm surprised nobody got hurt or arrested....very tense days..........after getting the 3 dock guys at the dirt cheap dock rate.....the rotten TM we had at the time put about 10 of them on with no CDL's FT........and attitudes got even worse....we still have 5 of them. We all had the same qualifications of holding a CDL till then....We all had the same payrates.....and then the nons were used against us it seemed....Since our COO...we get mostly about 40hrs/week. not much OT.
There's language about this cutting the use of cartage in this new thing.
Also everybody will have higher pay and pay wont be able to be so easily used against us it seems...excepting our 5 nonCDL's...but 2 of them will be sent to trucking school by NPMEsoon and maybe we'll only have 3 nonCDL's. And they will go from like $14/hr right to $16..or something like that...so the rate will not be so varied and steep and easily used against us.
I like the idea of no progression...I wish it was that way everywhere......we're mostly not rookie's so why should we lose pay for 3-5 years in progression at companies? It's a ripoff.

Anyways...that is just Readings story, since you mentioned us.
I think it should have been an across the board thing.......and I highly doubt the IBT would've done this if it was not legal...they don't really want any more investigations do they?
We've had a difficult time getting drivers. we can't even have an extra board nor fill our vacation bids due to nobody wanting to work here...This might work...no more excuses that they can't hire drivers.

Minimum wage laws usually exempt employee's under union contract. This became a huge issue in California when they raised the minimum wage and SEIU employee's under contract at a lower wage complained and were told by the union that they weren't covered by the raise.

ST

Thanks for info & keep us updated & think be seeing a lot of changes before 2019 !

Then why did we have to vote for them to be allowed to "take something that never existed"

We didn't, we voted to accept a slightly lower rate of pay, period. Let's say gas this week is $1.00 per gallon and next week it drops to $0.85 per gallon. When you get gas next week you don't pay $1.00 and then get handed back $0.15 for every gallon you get. That $0.15 never existed, you never paid it. If you don't understand that by now I can't help you.

We didn't, we voted to accept a slightly lower rate of pay, period. Let's say gas this week is $1.00 per gallon and next week it drops to $0.85 per gallon. When you get gas next week you don't pay $1.00 and then get handed back $0.15 for every gallon you get. That $0.15 never existed, you never paid it. If you don't understand that by now I can't help you.
I was making around $24 an hour when we voted on the MOU. It passed. Now I'm making around $22 after 8 years. I (and others ) VOTED to give something we already had back to the company. I can't make it any planer than that.