Yellow | IBT Offers UPS Second Class Drivers

Freightmaster1

TB Legend
Credits
And we thought the "deals" made with employers in the IBT Freight Division were bad?!

http://www.tdu.org/ibt_offers_ups_second_class_drivers

7L6MYJ9.jpg

:nutkick:

They used to call them casuals at the now defunct Roadway.
Hell No!

Casuals used to be guys who were paid the same as seniority men back in the day. They were people who didn't want to be on any seniority list. Except for that (seniority) they were just the same - pay and benefits - as seniority men. Of course that was before we screwed them by accepting graduated pay levels and progression. So much for "brotherhood".

Casuals used to be guys who were paid the same as seniority men back in the day. They were people who didn't want to be on any seniority list. Except for that (seniority) they were just the same - pay and benefits - as seniority men. Of course that was before we screwed them by accepting graduated pay levels and progression. So much for "brotherhood".

In the Carolinas, casuals or part timers had no benifits but were paid on a higher scale because of that fact.

In the Carolinas, casuals or part timers had no benifits but were paid on a higher scale because of that fact.

NY-NJ Metro area casuals accrued benefits (medical, pension and vacation) just like seniority men. Work enough days and you're covered, besides making same pay as seniority men. Lots of guys worked for years as casuals back in the day. Do the work, earn the pay, simple.

The Teamster truck line I worked at in Michigan during the seventies, had Tuesday thru Saturday bids. Monday was your premium day. Roadway Abq. had Sunday thru Thursday bids. Friday was your premium day.
I started at Roadway Abq. as a casual. If you wanted to get hired full time, you came in when called. For a time I also worked casual at P.I.E. Their policy was to turn the casuals over when they had thirty days in, which they did to me. The Teamsters Union told Roadway Abq. in 1982, you have to put two casuals on full time, and one of them was me. As a casual I made the same hourly wage as a regular but no medical insurance or vacation.

The Teamster truck line I worked at in Michigan during the seventies, had Tuesday thru Saturday bids. Monday was your premium day. Roadway Abq. had Sunday thru Thursday bids. Friday was your premium day.
I started at Roadway Abq. as a casual. If you wanted to get hired full time, you came in when called. For a time I also worked casual at P.I.E. Their policy was to turn the casuals over when they had thirty days in, which they did to me. The Teamsters Union told Roadway Abq. in 1982, you have to put two casuals on full time, and one of them was me. As a casual I made the same hourly wage as a regular but no medical insurance or vacation.

Mud, did you not get medical or vacation because you didn't work enough days or because they had something prohibiting casuals from qualifying? In the NY-NJ Metro area there were numerous freight companies way back when and a driver could get credits for medical/pension from the local by working casual at a few different jobs under that particular local.

Mud, did you not get medical or vacation because you didn't work enough days or because they had something prohibiting casuals from qualifying? In the NY-NJ Metro area there were numerous freight companies way back when and a driver could get credits for medical/pension from the local by working casual at a few different jobs under that particular local.
If you were credited with working so many days over a certain amount of time, the company was obligated to hire you, and start medical, pension and vacation credit, versus being a temporary we can let you go without a reason employee.
P.I.E. in Abq. at time was a breakbulk. When as a casual, if you got close to having the number of days worked where they were required per the Teamster contact to hire you, they would just stop calling you in.
Roadway Abq. in 1982 was working to many casuals to many hours and not following the contract. They were forced to put two casuals on full-time. One was me. Once put on full time you started receiving medical and vacation benefits. Your status was then unassigned. You were guaranteed forty hours a week but without a bid time. You had to be available for all the bid times.
In my I just want to be put on full-time world back then, I never heard of being able to combine your days worked at multiple companies to gain medical and vacation benefits.

Last edited:
If you were credited with working so many days over a certain amount of time, the company was obligated to hire you, and start medical, pension and vacation credit, versus being a temporary we can let you go without a reason employee.
P.I.E. in Abq. at time was a breakbulk. When as a casual, if you got close to having the number of days worked where they were required per the Teamster contact to hire you, they would just stop calling you in.
Roadway Abq. in 1982 was working to many casuals to many hours and not following the contract. They were forced to put two casuals on full-time. One was me. Once put on full time you started receiving medical and vacation benefits. Your status was then unassigned. You were guaranteed forty hours a week but without a bid time. You had to be available for all the bid times.
In my I just want to be put on full-time world back then, I never heard of being able to combine your days worked at multiple companies to gain medical and vacation benefits.

This was pretty much same as the Carolina Supplement, but at one time casual and part timers were paid a little more
because of no benifits.

Let me be clear, medical and pension were based on accrued time in the Local whereas vacation time was company specific accrued time. Casuals could work up to 15 days in a 90 day period. On that 16th day you were put on the seniority list.

Let me be clear, medical and pension were based on accrued time in the Local whereas vacation time was company specific accrued time. Casuals could work up to 15 days in a 90 day period. On that 16th day you were put on the seniority list.

Nothing like that in the Carolinas, they worked a lot of police and firemen on dock, city and occasional road trip,
after 29 days, they were history.

hell I can remember when they had to pay casuals more pay than regulars.

NY-NJ Metro area casuals accrued benefits (medical, pension and vacation) just like seniority men. Work enough days and you're covered, besides making same pay as seniority men. Lots of guys worked for years as casuals back in the day. Do the work, earn the pay, simple.
I worked as a casual for four years in Carolina, for Big R in the early 90s. Two of those years count toward retirement. I worked too few days to earn all four. Had a senior man tell someday I would regret not working enough days to earn retirement benefits. Now I do. But then I was young and dumb.

It was a good deal. Being a casual. Had no seniority rights, but didn't care. Young and dumb. I worked a better shift then many senior men and took off when i wanted to.

When they ended it and forced the company to put us on fulltime some guys quit rather then work fulltime.

It ended when senior men started to make too much noise about casuals working better shifts and not paying dues. They started a thing called preferred casual. You paid dues, had seniority rights, and had to go fulltime or quit after so many days.

Back then deregulation was just starting to get serious and there was still plenty of good paying work for everyone. Trucking was close to being a gravy train (including for management). The work was filthy, the hours crazy, you got treated like ::shit::, but made very good money. Times have changed!

I used to work 8 on and 8 off. Get 40 hours in by late Wednesday night or early Thursday morning and party for 4 days. Ah youth!

Back in the day we had casuals who didn’t want to make the list and be able to work when they chose too,
Partly because of the bennies you mention above.