XPO | I'd like some help understanding!

ole man

TB Lurker
Credits
Things are eerily similar now as they were when XPO bought Con-way.

I have some thoughts, feel free to have your say at any or all.

1) When Greg L. left Con-way and the guy from truckload became president, we heard absolutely nothing worthwhile from the man and then boom, SOLD!

2) We are about six months into the sale, Tony Brooks has been president about five months and nothing substantial from him or Bradley Jacobs as a vision for us.

3) Does Brad Jacobs really have an interest in the LTL business? I know he bought the largest LTL in Europe, but why? He a ware houser and a truckload guy.

4) All of the blank trailers crossing our lots. That's an expense, I know, cutting costs especially if this is not going to be kept.

5) Our uniforms, first almost immediately, then April and from reading other comments, now this fall. My supervisors won't guess a date.

6) There have been some cost cutting measures taking place but nothing has been seen as for increases in revenue. That's half of the picture.

I think you get my point. I'm nervous again and I've honestly tried to be open and give it a chance. Nuff giving, time for answers.

So, is XPO Freight for sale? What say you?

Things are eerily similar now as they were when XPO bought Con-way.

I have some thoughts, feel free to have your say at any or all.

1) When Greg L. left Con-way and the guy from truckload became president, we heard absolutely nothing worthwhile from the man and then boom, SOLD!

2) We are about six months into the sale, Tony Brooks has been president about five months and nothing substantial from him or Bradley Jacobs as a vision for us.

3) Does Brad Jacobs really have an interest in the LTL business? I know he bought the largest LTL in Europe, but why? He a ware houser and a truckload guy.

4) All of the blank trailers crossing our lots. That's an expense, I know, cutting costs especially if this is not going to be kept.

5) Our uniforms, first almost immediately, then April and from reading other comments, now this fall. My supervisors won't guess a date.

6) There have been some cost cutting measures taking place but nothing has been seen as for increases in revenue. That's half of the picture.

I think you get my point. I'm nervous again and I've honestly tried to be open and give it a chance. Nuff giving, time for answers.

So, is XPO Freight for sale? What say you?

I just think that we have to wait and see how things play out. Mr. Jacobs said that it would take at least two years before things in his grand plan begin to start firing on all cylinders.
On an side note: the union still has an interest in us. We had a bunch of teamster organizers at the edge of our terminal property this morning talking to guys and passing out literature. Point, if the union still believes in us, I'm gonna take that as a yes that Mr. Jacobs still believes in us.

I'm still taking a wait and see approach. Even my fos's are irritated at the lack of anything of substance. This page is being monitored by portland( you know who you are.), so keep the comments coming.
That's one reason I posted this. I'm very tired of the silence. A niblet is better than nothing. A whole lot of negative to me. The open mind is getting very hard to maintain.

I haven't read anything with credibility as to what the future holds. Keep in mind , if the LTL portion were up for sale you would be looking at a few billion dollars. Not many companies have that type of cash. To finance a deal that large would make waves - in other words it would be hard to keep things quiet.

Also , any deal with another transportation company requires regulatory approval. In the US , with what used to be Con-way being #2 - #3 , the current administration would only allow so much to happen to avoid a monopoly. And , it's an election year. Many big deal makers are sitting on their hands ( and wallets ) waiting to see what type of regulatory environment develops - Republican or Democrat.

To the original post. Today at my terminal, I saw a new pup with the XPO decal on it, so perhaps that's a sign the labeling has begun at the factory. Second, there are plenty of changes happening, we don't see much of it because of our positions, but if you want to get an idea, ask your FOS about his work load lately, the evidence of change is out there, it's just very subtle.

I just think that we have to wait and see how things play out. Mr. Jacobs said that it would take at least two years before things in his grand plan begin to start firing on all cylinders.
On an side note: the union still has an interest in us. We had a bunch of teamster organizers at the edge of our terminal property this morning talking to guys and passing out literature. Point, if the union still believes in us, I'm gonna take that as a yes that Mr. Jacobs still believes in us.
The Union will always be interested after all their is a lot of dues money there if nothing else,second in case you haven't noticed in less you plan on leaving the company you have to wait and see what they do afterall the only rights you have are the ones they let you have!:hide::heykoolaid::hide:

That's one reason I posted this. I'm very tired of the silence. A niblet is better than nothing. A whole lot of negative to me. The open mind is getting very hard to maintain.
The biggest and most obvious change that is being noticed is the attitudes of the employees. Since the purchase, the posts on here have gone from very optimistic, to very pessimistic because of the lack of new information. I sense major disappointment coming from the employees.

if they really wanted to keep it the trucks would be getting more than a postage stamp logo on some tractors and everyone would have new uniforms by now. the company is being streamlined to cut costs and look appealing to potential buyers. now with the downsizing of operations they dont have to stick money into new equipment, ect....

I'm still taking a wait and see approach. Even my fos's are irritated at the lack of anything of substance. This page is being monitored by portland( you know who you are.), so keep the comments coming.
Well they let go a bunch of sales people that I'm sure had pretty good relationship with their customers, they of took the frt with them now their looking for sales people don't make alot of sense to me. I talked to a Fedex driver last night he said their pretty busy running linehaul 6 days. I'm starting to get the feeling we might be on a sinking ship

I haven't read anything with credibility as to what the future holds. Keep in mind , if the LTL portion were up for sale you would be looking at a few billion dollars. Not many companies have that type of cash. To finance a deal that large would make waves - in other words it would be hard to keep things quiet.
I don't know about you but the three billion dollar Conway/ XPO deal came out of left field to me?

Also , any deal with another transportation company requires regulatory approval. In the US , with what used to be Con-way being #2 - #3 , the current administration would only allow so much to happen to avoid a monopoly. And , it's an election year. Many big deal makers are sitting on their hands ( and wallets ) waiting to see what type of regulatory environment develops - Republican or Democrat.
He bought everything for 3.5 and all he wanted was Menlo. If I had to guess it won't take half what it all cost if that much. A tax write off is worth more than cash.

I for one had a wait and see attitude when the buy out first happened. I was running Linehaul and thought it would be a good thing. Now I'm in the city and can't see the light at the end of the tunnel. My barn is about 100,000 pounds lighter on inbound and outbound is about 30,000 pounds short. Since I've been working,city never had convince days but now almost every week they are being offered.

The biggest and most obvious change that is being noticed is the attitudes of the employees. Since the purchase, the posts on here have gone from very optimistic, to very pessimistic because of the lack of new information. I sense major disappointment coming from the employees.

Many of the guys at my barn have gone beyond pessimism and have, as it now seems, settled into a kind of apathetic state concerning all the XPO hoopla. I rarely if ever hear guys asking or talking about all the promised XPO changes.

Maybe things will break out and start changing next week or next month...but in the interim...it's the same old, same old Conway-way.

Wait a minute.. we got a big red XPO banner that was tacked up on the wall the other day...does count for a change??? :wee:

if you look at the past i have not found a time that Brad has sold just part of a company. He's always merged everything he's bought when he created WM and United Rentals so why would he change his system now? Also why would he buy a ltl over seas and not keep us? And from what I hear we are making more money then we did last year.

Well they let go a bunch of sales people that I'm sure had pretty good relationship with their customers, they of took the frt with them now their looking for sales people don't make alot of sense to me. I talked to a Fedex driver last night he said their pretty busy running linehaul 6 days. I'm starting to get the feeling we might be on a sinking ship

Come on Boomer... you're bringing me down. We're #2 in LTL and in logistics nationally for goodness sake .It's true that Mr. Jacobs has acquired and rolled up other companies and eventually flipped them for huge profits. And he might flip us,(xpo LTL), or sell us off but I seriously doubt that he'll do that any time soon if at all. Why? He's having too much fun building this entity and because he likes assets...1) He bought the French LTL and hasn't flipped it: 2) He hasn't flipped Conway TL like he almost did and then thought better of it recently and committed himself to keeping it. Bottom line...he's still in the very early innings of the building process of his world wide brand-XPO LOGISTICS. XPO stock is going up, more investors are buying in. Has he made mistakes w/ the transition process...no doubt? He'll get other sales people, but it'll take time. Rebranding, new uniforms?...gonna take time. When will ecomony freight be rolled out?...again, gonna take time. Don't worry this company is on the up and up. So enough w/ the discouragement... so get your chin up cause once things get up to speed... this baby's gonna fly.:1036316054: