If Only...

JRut

TB Lurker
Credits
If only somebody would hire me! I am fortunate to be in a great area with all the foodservice companies pretty close..just looking to make more money and a job that can keep me fairly in shape. I calculated how much I will make yearly in beverage and $37,000 is barely enough to live on, pay rent/bills, and my truck note. I love my job just wish it paid more. I'd really like to make atleast 60K. I just can't believe I'm making so little.. but anyway. Here are the companies within a 20 mile radius from me. McLane, Sysco, MBM, Martin Brower, Sygma, PFG (Roma, Vistar, and CDC), PFS, US Foods, Coremark, and you name it I bet there's one close by me.

I have applied at MBM and Sysco they're my top 2 choices. I want to stay away from McLane simply because it's all night time deliveries. I'm single with no kids but I'd still much rather have a life with mostly day shift work. I never got used to nightshift when I was in the oilfield anyway I'd have headaches all day.. But MBM won't hire me because I only have 1.5 years experience and 1 speeding ticket. To have any kind of ticket you have to have 2 years driving experience. SO i am tempted to just stick this out for another 6 months until I'm eligible to get hired. but it's tough! Sysco sounds like it would be perfect..home every night, good money.. man just wish they would call me back! It's been atleast a month since I applied. I'm interested in MB too..it's in Roanoke, TX which is about 20 miles away. Getting some great advice from these threads thanks to Grocerythrower, BigR, and was reading over Moneyman's old threads about MB sounds like something I could do roll carts into micky D's..down here they also do Chipotle too. I'm only 24 so I really don't mind running down a ramp all day either!

So just any feedback, tips, or just any info on these companies would be great! Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought I would never say this but stay away from Sysco, times are a changin here, its not looking good. I wouldn't recommend Sysco to anyone, I would look at US Foods or Ben E Keith if you are thinking about broadline foodservice.

I want out of this whole deal, and soon!

Wow..ok thanks for that I will definitely keep that in mind. I totally forgot about Ben E. Keith... I did hear that they are one of the lowest paid though.

Oh, and of the 2 Sysco drivers I've talked to here in Dallas..they are making real good money and they seemed to like their jobs. One of them was in a huge hurry though at the truck stop running in to get a drink..

Whoa I can tell I haven't talked to you in a long time GT. Something must of changed your mind quick.

MB is a ok company. You will not have a life when you start. You'll probably be working nights for awhile. They got forced Dispatch and you might work 7 days a week. But your single with no kids so it might work out for you. I have a little boy and I never seen him when I had him so I left. Kinda wish I didn't tho after finding out how much seniority I would have now. Look into US foods. Good company.

Oh, and of the 2 Sysco drivers I've talked to here in Dallas..they are making real good money and they seemed to like their jobs. One of them was in a huge hurry though at the truck stop running in to get a drink..

Sysco is non union in TX, they bust their balls about cases per hour, in OK, we are union, I would never, ever, work for a Sysco house that is non union, not ever!! US Foods in TX, or at least Dallas is union, Ben E Keith around here makes pretty good money, they are non union everywhere and seem to treat their people pretty well. They make more than we do at Sysco OK with all our pay cuts on the incentive, I make my money by the hour, but they control that by cutting me out every thursday, so there ya go.

Whoa I can tell I haven't talked to you in a long time GT. Something must of changed your mind quick.

MB is a ok company. You will not have a life when you start. You'll probably be working nights for awhile. They got forced Dispatch and you might work 7 days a week. But your single with no kids so it might work out for you. I have a little boy and I never seen him when I had him so I left. Kinda wish I didn't tho after finding out how much seniority I would have now. Look into US foods. Good company.

This place isn't the same place that I started at, dude, Sysco was once the best of the best, guys got experience in foodservice as a stepping stone to get to Sysco, we were the highest paid out there and commanded the best of the best, not anymore Bro, the news has spread, we got to train a guy to drive a truck just to get bodies over here, its a sad turn this company has taken.

Like when I hired on at AF, when I got hired at Sysco I thought I was at the top of my game, then **** changed and now our guys are looking to leave.

Yeah I thought you loved Sysco GT.. There's lots of BS to deal with at any job i found out so I'm prepared for it wherever I go.

Nights will be fine for a while..working 6-7days a week would be ok for a while too..just as long as I'm making a lot better money than I am now.. (700 a week). Whats the avg check like at MB for a new hire? I will def. look into US Foods just don't know if I like the 4 day week thing.

Yeah I thought you loved Sysco GT.. There's lots of BS to deal with at any job i found out so I'm prepared for it wherever I go.

Nights will be fine for a while..working 6-7days a week would be ok for a while too..just as long as I'm making a lot better money than I am now.. (700 a week). Whats the avg check like at MB for a new hire? I will def. look into US Foods just don't know if I like the 4 day week thing.

There was a time when I did, no one really likes it here anymore, at least the guys I talk to.

This place isn't the same place that I started at, dude, Sysco was once the best of the best, guys got experience in foodservice as a stepping stone to get to Sysco, we were the highest paid out there and commanded the best of the best..

That's what I've always heard..I'm shocked to find out its the opposite now! I learn somethin new everyday.

I personally like the 4 day week especially throwing groceries. If you got a decent hourly wage it's not bad. I make less then you right not. I take home 500 a week. When I worked at MB we were union. I took home 1400-1600 every 2 weeks

Im looking for a union gig. I'm thinking about trying to get on with a dairy company. Nice pension and a place I can retire from

That's what I've always heard..I'm shocked to find out its the opposite now! I learn somethin new everyday.

Its my opinion JRut, mine alone, all I know is our guys are all unhappy, other houses may be different, I only work for one so my opinion is mine, I have friends at Sysco AR and they are on them constantly, they all fear for their jobs and that ain't no way to live!

Im looking for a union gig. I'm thinking about trying to get on with a dairy company. Nice pension and a place I can retire from

I hear ya..I'm in the same boat lookin for a place I can hang around and make a good living/career out of. I'm tired of job hopping.

I hear ya..I'm in the same boat lookin for a place I can hang around and make a good living/career out of. I'm tired of job hopping.

I agree. I've had to many jobs the last few years myself. But I'm single and got stuck moving back with my parents so I'm in the best position to start at the bottom as I have babysitters

BTW Jrut don't be a stranger to these boards and feel free to introduce yourself in the thread at the top of the Foodservice forum if you haven't done so yet

www.fritolayemployment.com. You make about 700 to 1000 week while training. After that if you like to hustle then 1700/2100 week is pretty fair to say. 1400 to 1600 gross a week would be average. Plus pension and 401k contribute.
This is all out of Topeka. Kinda depends on what traffic center your out of.

Lots of overnights and some teams.

Hey JRut your out of Dallas area. Plano is the headquarters. I'm sure they may have something open ?

don't let either of the big companies deceive you on how they treat their drivers, I work for US Foods, others here (GT) work for Sysco, they both suck, at least as far as morale, and treatment of workers. The things I know about them are that Sysco is the biggest , for now, and US Foods is second, and not happy about it. I don't know who started the "race to the bottom", for how hard they push their workers, BUT, I know that it doesn't matter now, both companies are pushing drivers to the limit, every day, and it wears on you, quick.

The reasons people stay are just the money and benefits. usually the health insurance is really good, just because you will eventually need it, its the nature of the job. The pay is also decent, not because we make a high dollar an hour, but because of the excessive hours put in. Its easy to make more than a P&D Freight driver at a foodservice barn, there is NO shortage of OT, and a lot of it is forced. there aren't really slowdowns once you get some seniority either, as long as you are on the list, you can get all the work you want, easily getting 14-20 hours of ot a week. A lot also implement 4-10 work schedules, although I don't like that, as you give up 2 hours of OT a day, I prefer 5-8's. They never send me out with just an 8 hour day, since that would be poor utilization of manpower and equipment. So I get a LOT of OT.

BTW, I wouldn't touch either one of these giant companies if it was a non union barn. they chew people up and spit them out, and thats the way they like it. Get young drivers, work them for a year or two, and get rid of them before top rate and vacation time kicks in. or just lay them off when they are running so hard they get hurt and go on comp. And yes, these companies are scummy enough to do that to people. every guy that goes out on comp at my barn has a hard time of it.

Buffalobill THANKS for that info that's exactly the kind of info I'm looking for. So now I won't be looking at US Foods or Sysco..I am kind of set on waiting until I'm eligble for MBM. It's only another 5 months away when my ticket clears.

Hey JRut your out of Dallas area. Plano is the headquarters. I'm sure they may have something open ?

I have always been looking at the Frito Lay site for driver openings in the DFW area.. but there NEVER is any kind of opening. The only openings pretty much are warehouse workers, merchandisers and mechanics. 1400-1600 a week gross???? wow thats double what I'm making driving a DP truck. I see the trucks all the time on the road and they're all day cab Mack's with the natural gas thing behind the cab. Man I wish they had an opening that's the job I need!!