TForce | If UPS does buy ABF would we end tail,or dove tail?

Apostolic

TB Legend
Credits
We are both LTL freight.
Overnite,and Motor Cargo was purchased first,and has already become the heavy freight division of our parent UPS.

So I would say ABF is the new comer,their workers should go behind us,ya think?

The only fly in the onitment I see is they are Teamsters,and UPS parcel is Teamsters,if we stay non-union would that effect how all the workers would be in the whole company?

Unless UPS leaves them as a seperate LTL operation under the UPS brand,than there wouldn't be any dove tailing,or end tailing.

I started this thread to get opinions from truckingboard posters,not to stir up any worrys,or troubling thoughts from any of the younger workers that could be kicked to the curb with a dove tailing of ABF workers with a lot of years in their company.

abf's contract protects them
your company's promise to you would be an empty one
revisit what occurred in the abf - carolina deal
dovetail due to the contract language and structure of the deal
if anything did occur upsf wouldn't be doing the acquiring, the parent company would making you guys sussceptiple to anything that comes down
size does not matter and besides i do not believe upsf is larger than abf
my advice is to try to protect yourselves and get some kind of representation unionwise in place kinda quick as you may not have much time left in this type of corporate buying game

Oh my word big steve,being an old former Teamster I was thinking about this.
I'm afraid you are right on this point.
Well this move that may be made by UPS does leave us UPS Freighters between a rock,and a hard place to unionize,or not thats the big question on everyones mind.

I've got 20 &1/2 years in our company,but I know the local ABF terminal in my city has drivers that have more time than that,which would put them ahead of me.
Well isn't this a nasty deal.

Maybe UPS if they do buy ABF will just let them do their own operation under the UPS brand,and we can stay in our own bids with our company.
That works for me.

I can't imagine they would buy another LTLer and keep it separate. What would they call it, UPS freight freight. Hee, hee, just kidding. But seriously, the two would be integrated and UPS could care less about how it effects the employee's.

Well krash I see your right on the point of UPS caring less about their employees.
The only people they really care a lot about are their stock holders.

Money always talks,and Bull feces walks.

So it looks like we would be dove tailed after all.

Well my only hope now is that UPS takes their sweet time in making up their minds on their next buy out,so we old Overniters,and Motor Cargo workers can enjoy the place we have in UPS at this time.

Taken from the National Master Freeight Agreeement

Artilce 1
Parties to the Agreement

Section 3. Transfer of Company Title or Interest
The Employer’s obligations under this Agreement including Supplements shall be binding upon its successors, administrators, executors and assigns. The Employer agrees that the obligations of this Agreement shall be included in the agreement of sale, transfer or assignment of the business. In the event an entire active or inactive operation, or a portion thereof, or rights only, are sold, leased, transferred or taken over by sale, transfer, lease, assignment, receivership or bankruptcy proceedings, such operation or use of rights shall continue to be subject to the terms and conditions of this Agreement for the life thereof. Transactions covered by this provision include stock sales or exchanges, mergers, consolidations, spin-offs or any other method by which a business is transferred.

It is understood by this Section that the signator Employer shall not sell, lease or transfer such run or runs or rights to a third party to evade this Agreement. In the event the Employer fails to require the purchaser, transferee, or lessee to assume the obligations of this Agreement, as set forth above, the Employer (including partners thereof) shall be liable to the Local Union(s) and to the employees covered for all damages sustained as a result of such failure to require the assumption of the terms of this Agreement until its expiration date, but shall not be liable after the purchaser, the transferee or lessee has agreed to assume the obligations of this Agreement. The obligations set forth above shall not apply in the event of the sale, lease or transfer of a portion of the rights comprising less than all of the signator Employer’s rights to a non-signator company unless the purpose is to evade this Agreement. Corporate reorganizations by a signatory Employer, occurring during the term of this Agreement, shall not relieve the signatory Employer or the re-organized Employer of the obligations of this Agreement during its term.

When a signator to this Agreement purchases rights from another signator, the provisions of Article 5 shall apply. The applicable layoff provisions of this Agreement shall apply.

The Employer shall give notice of the existence of this Agreement to any purchaser, transferee, lessee, assignee, or other entity involved in the sale, merger, consolidation, acquisition, transfer, spin-off, lease or other transaction by which the operation covered by this Agreement or any part thereof, including rights only, may be transferred. Such notice shall be in writing, with a copy to the Local Union, at the time the seller, transferor or lessor makes the purchase and sale negotiation known to the public or executes a contract or transaction as herein described, whichever first occurs. The Local Union shall also be advised of the exact nature of the transaction, not including financial details.

The term rights shall include routes and runs.

Oh my I'm going to have to have my lawyer read that mumbo jumbo,you just posted T251,and tell me what it means in plan english?

I have always woundered if your not just a road team driver for UPS,but are also on the staff of J.Hoffa Jr's officials?

You sure know how to produce all of the Teamsers documents ASAP.

Ok than all of your union info is just a few computer keys and a click of your mouse away?

And all of this time I've thought you were one of Jimmy H.Jr's head guys?

I am surprised no one here has touched on this angle. UPS could buy anyone they want, fill in the blanks on the map with the purchased companies terminals and an exsisting workforce, take over the national and local accounts and contracts and liquidate and layoff the rest. Afterall its about revenue and coverage.

I don't believe that there would be any merger of a union company until we are union. But just in case we better get moving. After we are union I would think it would be a dove tail situation.

I asked that question to a local official here and he said that what happened at ABF-Carolina would never happen again because the launguage in the contract was changed to prevent that from happening again.. If I remember right, some ABF employees file siut in court and they lost because of that language. Somebody can correct me if I'm wrong. The way it was explained to me, that once we become teamsters, any new purchase and those employess would go to the bottom, even if they were current taemsters. Correct me if I'm wrong. T-251, you would be the one to answer this.Thanks

I asked that question to a local official here and he said that what happened at ABF-Carolina would never happen again because the launguage in the contract was changed to prevent that from happening again.. If I remember right, some ABF employees file siut in court and they lost because of that language. Somebody can correct me if I'm wrong. The way it was explained to me, that once we become teamsters, any new purchase and those employess would go to the bottom, even if they were current taemsters. Correct me if I'm wrong. T-251, you would be the one to answer this.Thanks

I hope your correct, But time is wasting, We all better get on board soon.:1036316054: