TForce | If UPS does buy ABF would we end tail,or dove tail?

If ABF bought Overnite I think the Overnite drivers would be endtail. If UPSF bought ABF or Yellow or any other freight company I would think they be endtail.

Man I know some x AF guys that thought there was no way that ANYONE could touch their big bad company.......But guess what...........If UPS wanted to buy FedEx, they would get it done. Look at Yellow buying Roadway.......If they have it in there mind then costs be damned.....Close the terminals and burn the trucks we gonna grow!!!!! And look at this Cingular and AT&T. One buys the other takes them out of that market completely and then turn around and join them back together under the original name......NEVER SAY NEVER!!!!!! These huge machines will do what they want.....( And I'm not saying UPS is better or FedEX is small or whatever.....So boners need to get their panties in a wad!!!!! Although no one calls FedEx a machine but Brown is known as one!!!!!)

Man I know some x AF guys that thought there was no way that ANYONE could touch their big bad company.......But guess what...........If UPS wanted to buy FedEx, they would get it done. Look at Yellow buying Roadway.......If they have it in there mind then costs be damned.....Close the terminals and burn the trucks we gonna grow!!!!! And look at this Cingular and AT&T. One buys the other takes them out of that market completely and then turn around and join them back together under the original name......NEVER SAY NEVER!!!!!! These huge machines will do what they want.....( And I'm not saying UPS is better or FedEX is small or whatever.....So boners need to get their panties in a wad!!!!! Although no one calls FedEx a machine but Brown is known as one!!!!!)

Boner,,, Definatly roles off the tongue.

You mean to say that very old joke would finally come to pass?
You know the one that says that UPS,got together with Fedex.
Than they would be called Fed UP.
Now every one that knows me on the truckingboards knows I'm old as dirt.
And that old joke is even older than me.

The only thing though is UPS ever did buy FEDEX,the UPS Brand name would come first so this joke wouldn't work after all.

(UPS/Fed) now that don't make a bit of sense?

If ABF bought Overnite I think the Overnite drivers would be endtail. If UPSF bought ABF or Yellow or any other freight company I would think they be endtail.

If UPS or any other Union Company Buys another Union Company they would dovetail by the the dates the employee was hired just like when ABF bought Carolina Freight. If a Union Company buys a non-Union Company then they would end tail, read your contract book for answers to your questions instead of listening to rumors.

Skipper Dude,
Welcome to Truckingboards. A few things to consider in regards to the question being presented here are.....This is the UPSF (old Overnite) Forum and these folks aren't yet in the Union. They currently are awaiting the completion of the Contract being negotiated for their Indy terminal, so they have no Contract to refer to yet.

If UPS was to buy ABF and they ran them separately from UPSF there would be no need to dovetail or endtail. It's very possible that if UPS buys ABF it would be their long haul LTL unit and UPSF would end up being their regional unit.
Again, welcome to the Boards.

Taken from the National Master Freeight Agreeement

Artilce 1
Parties to the Agreement

Section 3. Transfer of Company Title or Interest
The Employer’s obligations under this Agreement including Supplements shall be binding upon its successors, administrators, executors and assigns. The Employer agrees that the obligations of this Agreement shall be included in the agreement of sale, transfer or assignment of the business. In the event an entire active or inactive operation, or a portion thereof, or rights only, are sold, leased, transferred or taken over by sale, transfer, lease, assignment, receivership or bankruptcy proceedings, such operation or use of rights shall continue to be subject to the terms and conditions of this Agreement for the life thereof. Transactions covered by this provision include stock sales or exchanges, mergers, consolidations, spin-offs or any other method by which a business is transferred.

It is understood by this Section that the signator Employer shall not sell, lease or transfer such run or runs or rights to a third party to evade this Agreement. In the event the Employer fails to require the purchaser, transferee, or lessee to assume the obligations of this Agreement, as set forth above, the Employer (including partners thereof) shall be liable to the Local Union(s) and to the employees covered for all damages sustained as a result of such failure to require the assumption of the terms of this Agreement until its expiration date, but shall not be liable after the purchaser, the transferee or lessee has agreed to assume the obligations of this Agreement. The obligations set forth above shall not apply in the event of the sale, lease or transfer of a portion of the rights comprising less than all of the signator Employer’s rights to a non-signator company unless the purpose is to evade this Agreement. Corporate reorganizations by a signatory Employer, occurring during the term of this Agreement, shall not relieve the signatory Employer or the re-organized Employer of the obligations of this Agreement during its term.

When a signator to this Agreement purchases rights from another signator, the provisions of Article 5 shall apply. The applicable layoff provisions of this Agreement shall apply.

The Employer shall give notice of the existence of this Agreement to any purchaser, transferee, lessee, assignee, or other entity involved in the sale, merger, consolidation, acquisition, transfer, spin-off, lease or other transaction by which the operation covered by this Agreement or any part thereof, including rights only, may be transferred. Such notice shall be in writing, with a copy to the Local Union, at the time the seller, transferor or lessor makes the purchase and sale negotiation known to the public or executes a contract or transaction as herein described, whichever first occurs. The Local Union shall also be advised of the exact nature of the transaction, not including financial details.

The term rights shall include routes and runs.
When does the ABF contract expire??

Acquisition is all about market share and elimination of the competition. I'm not sure what Overnite's market share was, but when UPS bought them they automatically became a big player in the LTL industry and also eliminated one of their potential competitors. Buying ABF would only strengthen their position and would eliminate yet another big player.

As for the costs, perhaps you don't realize just how big UPS is, 'UPSFreightMan'. The big will always gobble up the small. Who would have ever thought that Time-Warner could have been acquired, let alone by an ISP. Surely if that could happen then the world leader in package delivery can buy a lousy LTL company. After all, they did it once before, didn't they?
I thought you were comparing Overnite with Central Freight!!!

Thank you for the welcome and your right as long as they keep them separate there would be no need in a dovetail process but in the event of a buy out or merger that would include combing of the two Companies all active employees would be dovetailed and that language protected all the Carolina Freight people...

Combining of Terminals or Operations as a Result of Merger of Companies

(c) In the application of this Section, when terminals or operations of two (2) or more companies are combined, as referred to above, the following general rules shall be applied by the Employer and the Local Unions, which general rules are subject to modification pursuant to the provisions of Section 4 of this Article:

Active Seniority List

(1) The active employee seniority rosters (excluding those employees on letter of layoff) shall be “dovetailed” by appropriate classification (i.e., road or city) in the order of each employee’s full continuous classification (road or city) seniority date that the employee is currently exercising. (The term “continuous classification seniority” as used herein is defined as that seniority which the employee is currently exercising and has not been broken in the manner provided in Section 1 of this Article or by voluntary changes in domicile not directed, approved or ordered by a Change of Operations Committee.) The active “dovetailed” seniority roster shall be utilized first and until exhausted to provide employment at such combined terminal or operational location.

first of all the entity that does the "buying" would be the parent company
for eg. upsf is a subsidiary of ups
abf is a subsidiary of arkbest
so therefore upsf and abf are just pawns in the big picture and do not have the power to buy anyone
ups and arkbest corp are NOT signatory to the NMFA the subs are(well at least one is currently)
so let's say ups buys abf from arkbest corp
all that would do is make abf a subsidiary under ups the parent company along with upsf another subsidiary
once ups the parent decides to combine operations of those two subs then the contract merger language kicks in
same occurred when arkbest purchased worldway and merged the worldway subs into abf:smilie_132:
both parent companies were not signatory nor bound by the nmfa but the subs were therefore the merger language applied to the "consolidation"

Thank you for the welcome and your right as long as they keep them separate there would be no need in a dovetail process but in the event of a buy out or merger that would include combing of the two Companies all active employees would be dovetailed and that language protected all the Carolina Freight people...

Combining of Terminals or Operations as a Result of Merger of Companies

(c) In the application of this Section, when terminals or operations of two (2) or more companies are combined, as referred to above, the following general rules shall be applied by the Employer and the Local Unions, which general rules are subject to modification pursuant to the provisions of Section 4 of this Article:

Active Seniority List

(1) The active employee seniority rosters (excluding those employees on letter of layoff) shall be “dovetailed” by appropriate classification (i.e., road or city) in the order of each employee’s full continuous classification (road or city) seniority date that the employee is currently exercising. (The term “continuous classification seniority” as used herein is defined as that seniority which the employee is currently exercising and has not been broken in the manner provided in Section 1 of this Article or by voluntary changes in domicile not directed, approved or ordered by a Change of Operations Committee.) The active “dovetailed” seniority roster shall be utilized first and until exhausted to provide employment at such combined terminal or operational location.

Actually I do enjoy the conversation, but this has already happened at UPS, with Menlo, they are union,, and is now called cartage services.

UPS accepted the contract and made them a division of SCS.

We (UPSF) is a division of SCS, as is menlo (Cartage Services) i. We are all operated by SCS and one is union , one is not. Who is too say that ABF, if they are purchased, will not also become a part of SCS and called something else. Like UPSF long haul. For example the rights in this contract to purchase apply, as did with menlo and UPS, But do not apply too UPSF because we are a division of Supply Chain Solutions, They will be the purchaser, not UPSF.

They can make you a division, divide the freight equally, and there is nothing to be said. Not even the union.

Well no big deal now today was the day,and as you all can clearly see June 19th just has 3 hours to go eastern standard time.
Nothing was said about any UPS buy-out of anyother trucking company.
So much for all of our speculation?
It was a lot of fun while it lasted.
But now its back to business as usual.
UPS still has their hands full of whipping the old Overnite,Motor Cargo into shape,to become the LTL they want it to become.

With this large purchase I for one think they may want to finish doing what they want with UPS Freight before they jump into another LTL operation.

But like I'm posting here it was a lot of fun with everyones ideas of how this merger,or buy-out may of taken place.

Was there any meetings anywhere?
I know a few of you posted that you were hearing about meetings this week for who knows what?