Central Transport | If your not happy here, just quit.

runawaytrain

Wear their scorn with pride.
Credits
So many have quit because they wanted something better. You can't blame them for that. I sure don't. This is what I don't understand so maybe you can explain it to me. Why do they stay? Vitran didn't come knocking on their door. They knocked on theirs. No harm. No foul. Just quit. If they are that unhappy it really seems like a no-brainer. That's why I divorced my first wife. Best move I ever made. See I'm not that unhappy with this job...But then maybe I'm just a happy person inside. See I believe happiness is an inside job. Some people are just miserable inside all the time. I will use this analogy....When you squeeze an orange what comes out? Sweet orange juice because that's what's inside. But when you squeeze a person and bitterness, anger, jealousy, and all the negative emotions come out....it's because that's what's inside. Some people no matter what you do you can never please them. It's just part of what they are inside...It's their character...So many trolls on here. I'm glad I have found a better way to be.

Runaway,
I agree with you 100%. I was miserable there so I left. In fact, I found out that I woudl have been miserable anywhere because I was miserable driving. I now have a non-driving job that allows me to be home by five every day...took a little cut in pay, but sometimes you have to step back and look in the mirror-refocus and make changes to move forward. I am now making more with better benifits and I do not go home smelling like crap. A driver holds the steering wheel to his or her future-not the company. It does not say much for someone to stay at a place that steals money out of your pocket and makes you do things illegal. I never felt that way, but if you read these posts you would think that Vitran is an evil place. I still visit this place, because I still have friends that work there and I am entertained by some of the comments.

Train, I agree with your perspective on happiness. As far as being unhappy working for Vitran, I can only give you my perspective.

I am not unhappy working for Vitran, just displeased with the way the company seems to be headed. I have not put in the many years here just to watch it go to waste. Each day I go to work, do my job to the best of my abilities and ACTIVELY try to make it a better place. I make suggestions, try to figure out better and more productive options. and help others when needed. The problem is when simple common sense is ignored or swept aside by those in charge who have the ability to actually make changes. I have learned that you cannot control what others think or do but if I speak up, I know I have done what little I can do. It often seems like banging your head against the wall. And if the ship does sink, at least I know I tried.

Easier said than done. Okay, so if my husband quits, then what? It's not like jobs in our area are dropping into our laps, and we cannot afford to move on what Vitran pays him. I don't see why he should just quit without lining something else up first, and considering our local unemployment rate is higher than both the state AND the national unemployment rates, finding a new job can take a LONG time. At least things should improve at his terminal for a short time, thanks to OSHA inspecting them...

Lisa if your husband is unhappy put in applications till something better comes up but till then do his best for his family not for vitran.

I'm happy all the time, its the employees who try to change the smile on my face with their bitterness. At my terminal jealousy is the biggest problem, if a certain 3 out of a 100 left today tomorrow the sun will shine no matter how thick the clouds are.

jst quiting is not the answer
Very true and I didn't create this thread to philosophize. I just get tired of all the negative comments at times. But it just seems that all this forum has become is a place to be negative all the time. I understand the frustration....I understand the futility...But so many are so busy shouting at the rain that they can't see how good they have it. The secret of happiness is not in doing what one likes, but in liking what one has to do.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's all good runawaytrain and respect your attitude but if you have ever had a real job that treats you with respect and dignity and pays you for what your worth instead of cheating you and stealing from you I think you would understand more and obviously you have been there for a very long time because the only ones I never seen complain are the top 10% of drivers on the senority list. Not trying to bash you but just a fact. PS. I am a happy person but do not care to be abused and degraded as a human and in this economy it's so hard to just quit even as we may be slowly dying. All opinions should be respected because some people are content and may not know what good treatment really is and there are those who just want to make things better in order not to suffer and to have a better life.

Lisa if your husband is unhappy put in applications till something better comes up but till then do his best for his family not for vitran.

That is exactly what we are trying to do. It's so hard though, with a reported 10.7% unemployment in this county (which in reality translates to approximately 20% unemployed). For every decent job, including trucking ones, there are literally HUNDREDS of applicants. And I get that people on here are tired of hearing the ranting and raving about Vitran, but let's be real - the company really doesn't give us much about which to be positive, now do they? I'm sure there are terminals in the system where the bulk of the employees are good, hardworking, assets to the team; but here in CLT, those types of employees are FAR outweighed by lazy do-nothings who are only there to draw a paycheck and don't give a rat's patootie about doing the job RIGHT. Sometimes people need a place to vent - and better to do it on here, safely, than to go off on a stupidvisor (I won't mention Randy Miller's name) and risk losing the job over it.

So many have quit because they wanted something better. You can't blame them for that. I sure don't. This is what I don't understand so maybe you can explain it to me. Why do they stay? Vitran didn't come knocking on their door. They knocked on theirs. No harm. No foul. Just quit. If they are that unhappy it really seems like a no-brainer. That's why I divorced my first wife. Best move I ever made. See I'm not that unhappy with this job...But then maybe I'm just a happy person inside. See I believe happiness is an inside job. Some people are just miserable inside all the time. I will use this analogy....When you squeeze an orange what comes out? Sweet orange juice because that's what's inside. But when you squeeze a person and bitterness, anger, jealousy, and all the negative emotions come out....it's because that's what's inside. Some people no matter what you do you can never please them. It's just part of what they are inside...It's their character...So many trolls on here. I'm glad I have found a better way to be.

You do know "Dear Abbey" died today, are you vying to take her place "train"?

I'm not sure if you are being sarcastic, not that it really matters. Personally I think it's funny and shows a witty personality.... But to anwser your question......No.

Why do they stay? Vitran didn't come knocking on their door. They knocked on theirs. No harm. No foul. Just quit. If they are that unhappy it really seems like a no-brainer.

If you knew the history of Vitran you would realize that your statement is incorrect. Vitran didn't start as a small one man operation that grew in the behemoth that it is now. It purchased a bunch of small companies and tossed them all together into the sausage stuffer. I like to joke that this company is like a shotgun wedding. Many of the old timers that are still here started with smaller or family owned companies, Overland, Quast, Chris ect., we were happy working at those places, but we were sold out to the highest bidder....Vitran. We were cautiously optimistic that things would work out for the best. Things were ok for a time but then Vitran made some poor purchases and started to rack up debt, middle management began to play CYA and people who couldn't do their job were protected, maintenance began to suffer and so on.
Why do we stay? 2 reasons
1. some of us have financial obligations, if you are the sole bread winner, or you have child support payments it's pretty hard to just bail out. 2. Hope......we keep hoping that at some point the light bulb will come on and Vitran will stop doing stupid things. It wasn't that long ago that we were profitable. I didn't think it could get any worse than with Kosovec running things, I was WRONG. While I have tried to remain positive about Mr. Keylon the reality is numbers don't lie, and we are going in the wrong direction. In the last year linehaul has been restructured twice in an effort to improve efficiency and yet we continue to lose MORE money? A troll is someone who stirs up trouble just for the sake of being obnoxious, I would like to think that our discussions on Vitran's operations are aimed more at educating newbies and trying to figure out solutions to the problems. I am looking for another job, not because I want to walk away from someplace where I have invested 20 years, but because I don't think any of us are going to have an option much longer.

If you knew the history of Vitran you would realize that your statement is incorrect. Vitran didn't start as a small one man operation that grew in the behemoth that it is now. It purchased a bunch of small companies and tossed them all together into the sausage stuffer. I like to joke that this company is like a shotgun wedding. Many of the old timers that are still here started with smaller or family owned companies, Overland, Quast, Chris ect., we were happy working at those places, but we were sold out to the highest bidder....Vitran. We were cautiously optimistic that things would work out for the best. Things were ok for a time but then Vitran made some poor purchases and started to rack up debt, middle management began to play CYA and people who couldn't do their job were protected, maintenance began to suffer and so on.
1. some of us have financial obligations, if you are the sole bread winner, or you have child support payments it's pretty hard to just bail out. 2. Hope......we keep hoping that at some point the light bulb will come on and Vitran will stop doing stupid things. It wasn't that long ago that we were profitable. I didn't think it could get any worse than with Kosovec running things, I was WRONG. While I have tried to remain positive about Mr. Keylon the reality is numbers don't lie, and we are going in the wrong direction. In the last year linehaul has been restructured twice in an effort to improve efficiency and yet we continue to lose MORE money? A troll is someone who stirs up trouble just for the sake of being obnoxious, I would like to think that our discussions on Vitran's operations are aimed more at educating newbies and trying to figure out solutions to the problems. I am looking for another job, not because I want to walk away from someplace where I have invested 20 years, but because I don't think any of us are going to have an option much longer.
I do know the history of Vitran....And I have been here almost as long as you. I worked for Chris in Dallas long before Vitran came along. My only advice to you is wait until the wheels fall off, not that your asking for my advice. I'm sure you don't need it.....Many don't agree with me and that's their right and I respect that...But I will not give up what I have until the last act. Keylon has had to do what the past presidents have not on a very limited budget, integrate these companies. Invest in technology and buy more equipment. I will not lose hope until this company is no more. I think we will weather this storm..But that's just me...Leave if you must. I choose to stay and be positive. It's not over till it's over. And BTW I'm very much aware what a troll is and Vitran's open forum has it's share.

wait until vitran gets us down to 45 hrs a week, no overtime and a late start time. there will be no reason to stay then.

Excellent and well thought out post biglarry28. You will not be caught with your pants down as many others might be.

Hey Big Larry or Runawy Train, Do either of you know how Vitran got it's name??? What is a VITRAN??? How and when did Vitran get started in the U.S.? I have always wondered if Vitrans foray into the deep south was going to be a short-lived venture. I even asked one of Vitrans GURU's from Indy that same question, and he said, "Oh, Thats easy. We (Vitran) can offer this new deep south customer base 34 state direct coverage whereas Milan (back then) only offered 9-10 state coverage." I have news for him and yall. If you talk nasty, and talk down to Southerners, there are many more peas in the pot that our customer base WILL choose from!

Vitran=vital transportation they changed the US LTL to Vitran after deciding that Overland/Quast didn't have a good feel. Vitran purchased Overland in 1995 I would have to do some investigation to see if they had other US holdings before then. All the annual reports back to 1997 are on the investors page, you can see the rise...and fall of the company.

Runaway,
I agree with you 100%. I was miserable there so I left. In fact, I found out that I woudl have been miserable anywhere because I was miserable driving. I now have a non-driving job that allows me to be home by five every day...took a little cut in pay, but sometimes you have to step back and look in the mirror-refocus and make changes to move forward. I am now making more with better benifits and I do not go home smelling like crap. A driver holds the steering wheel to his or her future-not the company. It does not say much for someone to stay at a place that steals money out of your pocket and makes you do things illegal. I never felt that way, but if you read these posts you would think that Vitran is an evil place. I still visit this place, because I still have friends that work there and I am entertained by some of the comments.

100% agree. I dropped back to working part-time and went to college full-time. I am half way through college on my way to a new career that is NOT in transportation.