IN. 3 killed when unsecured steel coil fell off a flatbed onto 2 cars.

Apostolic

TB Legend
Credits
Fatal Accident: 3 killed in Orange County accident - WXIN

51593804.jpg

No I searched the web all across the state of Indiana for more details.
However I'll have to wait and see if there is going to be any updates later.

If anyone on this message board is from the area,please feel free to post any future information you may have about this tragic crash,thanks

R.I.P.and Prayer's.........

Very sad too hear yet alone too see, can't even imagine what went threw those poor people's mind's. My prayer's go out to the families and the truck driver as this is a memory he or she will never forget.

The semitrailer driver was given a ticket for having the coil improperly secured.

What about murder? Or maybe vehicular manslaughter.

There is absolutely no reason why anything should become "unsecure" on a truck, ever. I hope they hang the truck driver by his balls.

I finally found a news link that has put all of the details together.
Seems the truck driver was first cited for being over weight,later a State Trooper repealed that charge declaring he was not over weight after all.
The other reports I've seen says the truck is owned and operated by Kendall Transportation out of Paoli IN.
This report wraps everything up,so there is not need for me to search for any more on this tragic freak crash.

22218990_640X480.jpg

3 Killed When Steel Coil Falls From Truck - Louisville News Story - WLKY Louisville

The driver was a 22 year old from Paoli, IN and the coil hit one car and a pickup. Two dead in the car and one in the pickup. Don't know the trucking company. He was ticketed for a unsecured load. They need to take a look at the trucking company, truck driving school and his trainer as will as the driver. He had one coil on a flatbed, I find it hard that he was over weight, except for one set of axles. Went into a turn just south of Mitchell, IN when the coil came loose.

Should have been chains, but I wouldn't be surprised if he used straps. I've seen it done before. I know when I hauled them, I used 3 chains, and 3 binders. 1 pulling frontwards, 1 pulling back, and 1 in the middle. Overkill? Probably, but I never lost one.

Nothing wrong with a little overkill,this young fellas career is now in the crapper and if he has any conscience he should ask himself 'did I do everything thing I could to secure that load?'

Your right, he should be asking himself that. If he secured it right, and went into a truckstop where some other driver could have loosened it, would it still be this drivers fault? You bet it would. Always check your stuff, and double check it again, and again, as needed.

I haven't done any research, but I'm wondering if he came out of Chicago with those coils? Probably so since Gary In would be so close to those steel places. If that's the case, I'm surprised they made it that far. Those coils suck, lol

Reviewing this horrific crash,one never knows when today could be your last.
Here we had two 4 wheelers driving down the road,and in an instant their lives came to a tragic end.
Also this young drivers life is altered with the memory of this crash that may never leave him.

I know for myself when I'm aware of being awake every morning I thank God,and ask him to help me to do the best with the day,as well as thanking him for taking care of me as I drift off to sleep every night.
I say it is better to stay close to God,as you never know when my life will expire.

But as the investigation continues, he could receive a citation or 2, especially since they said there were violations.

Improper load securement means one thing................ improper load securement, period. That driver killed 3 innocent people. That could have been your family, or mine.

Update on this wreck, the coil weighed 43900 lbs and the driver had chains that would cover only 42000 lbs, one anchor on the side of the trailer had a fresh crack and this is the only two violations found on the truck and driver. Passed all drug test. The driver has not been given any citation for any violations at this time. The DOT officer that done the inspection stated that even if this driver had gone though a DOT inspection before this accident that it is possible that he could have passed, the chains very possibly could have been over looked even in full DOT inspection. The cracked anchor point has not been determined to be a factor in the accident at this time. The question for other flat bed drivers would be, do you know how many lbs each of your chains can legally chain down? How many drivers even know the answer to this question? They are still investigating the driver and trucking company that he was leased to. I misstated when I said the driver was 22, he was 33, one of the people hurt was 22. Sorry. And for all of you that thanks that only flat beds are the only ones with secured load problems might want to know that at all times, even in a van, your load by law has to have load locks or be secured to the pallet. The fine is $152 in KY and they will break your seal and check, and please don't start the stories about how you called the FBI or the Marshall's and had the DOT officer arrested, heard that story too many times, its legal and they can do it. You the driver will get the ticket whether you loaded it or not. It appears that the only thing this driver failed to do was make sure that his chains was rated for the weight that he was hauling. Do you?