Yellow | In tax terms ( taking a loss )

Recently its been found that prisoners are filing over $1 billion in phony tax returns every year, claiming refunds on non-existant income. The IRS seems to have a policy of issuing checks first, then investigating. Seems like these alleged refunds maybe just that: a refund processed before any investigation. At some point down the road, IRS (might) catch on and come back for their money.
Then again, its big government, and maybe they won't, billions in stimulus money disappeared and no one cared/noticed.
Carry on

Thank you KK for calling these people.All I know is how I file my tax forms.As frustrating as the pay cuts and virtually non payment into our pension funds.I do my due diligence in filing correctly.Honestly I have not been able to use the 15% in any way shape or form to get more of a refund back.When I read on TB about some new way to use the 15%.I research the claims and try to report my findings here for all to read and learn.As a taxpayer and citizen I have the right to file my taxes as I see fit.As well as all of you have that right.If your tax preparer deems that 15% as a tax credit or deduction.It is up to you to decide to use it

As a taxpayer and citizen I have the right to file my taxes as I see fit.

I don't believe you do. If it was your "right" their wouldn't be legal consequences for being wrong.

You can certainly choose where each decision falls on your own risk vs. reward calculator. You get to choose how much risk you are willing to take and how much research you are going to put into each decision. However, if the tax courts ultimately disagree with your interpretation you may learn that it isn't exactly within your rights to file them how you see fit. The only right you had was determining how much risk you were willing to accept.

Well look when I wrote that .We all assume the risk of the IRS not agreeing with what we use as deductions.What you wrote was or is supposed to be understood.

Well look when I wrote that .We all assume the risk of the IRS not agreeing with what we use as deductions.What you wrote was or is supposed to be understood.

The IRS receives 20,000-30,000 frivolous tax returns a year from folks who believe the 16th Amendment is unconstitutional. I'm not certain where folks stand....so when you say that "as a citizen that you have the right to file taxes as you see fit", I took it that you could mean that in a literal sense.

The IRS receives 20,000-30,000 frivolous tax returns a year from folks who believe the 16th Amendment is unconstitutional. I'm not certain where folks stand....so when you say that "as a citizen that you have the right to file taxes as you see fit", I took it that you could mean that in a literal sense.
I believe it IS Unconstitutional! But they own the courts, the cops, and the jails, and I have family responsibilities for more than just me, so I pay what's due. If it were just me, I'm crazy enough to take the government on but I won't lose my property putting innocents at risk...

I believe it IS Unconstitutional! But they own the courts, the cops, and the jails, and I have family responsibilities for more than just me, so I pay what's due. If it were just me, I'm crazy enough to take the government on but I won't lose my property putting innocents at risk...
The lovely and charming Mrs. G appreciates your thoughtfulness.
:bat:

Well you can file your taxes the way you see fit.With consequences of course if you're wrong.One of those amendments says you must file a tax return.It didn't say you had to put numbers in the boxes.Just be sure to sign your name

:
Well you can file your taxes the way you see fit.With consequences of course if you're wrong.One of those amendments says you must file a tax return.It didn't say you had to put numbers in the boxes.Just be sure to sign your name

And the bottom of the 1040 return states:

Under penalties of perjury, I declare that I have examined this return and accompanying schedules and statements, and to the best of my knowledge and belief,
they are true, correct, and complete. Declaration of preparer (other than taxpayer) is based on all information of which preparer has any knowledge.

If one fails to put numbers in the box ,the IRS will insert the numbers from information they have and present you with a tax bill, and a court date!

I am a certified volunteer tax counselor through IRS VITA/TCE, and prepared over 100 tax returns last year, for free at AARP locations.

I know something about tax returns, not everything!

You can walk down the street naked too and get away with it for a while but when you eventually get stopped there will be consequences.

L7nhdoX.jpg