In Transition

ganis

TB Lurker
Credits
To all those that seem to be preoccupied with the bashing of the Union at NEMF. You don't know the facts about IAMAW, nor are
you aware of the changes that are taking place at NEMF. :chairshot:
The Company (NEMF) is currently developing a five year growth plan that will include the opening up of new terminals in areas that were not originally part of the Company's service area. New and very capable management has joined the Company to oversee these changes.
The Union has been associated with NEMF for more than 20 years, a period of continuous growth for NEMF. During this time
period, there has never been a strike at NEMF, disrupting employees pay. During the 10 years I have driven for NEMF, my mileage rate has gone from 27cpm to 46cpm and I was able to earn more than $70,000.00 last year.
All along, our Union has negotiated increases in our wages every year. If there are any flaws in our work contracts, I don't blame our Union, rather I blame the workers who stand on the sidelines, never coming to meetings or participating in any way, but expecting "The Union to do it all for them".
A Union is the sum of the people who belong to it. If they do not want to make the time to get involved, they should not complain. :hide:
I am proud to be an IAM Shop Steward for a good group of drivers. I fully expect our Union to continue to represent us and be there for us, when they are needed.

To all those that seem to be preoccupied with the bashing of the Union at NEMF. You don't know the facts about IAMAW, nor are
you aware of the changes that are taking place at NEMF. :chairshot:
The Company (NEMF) is currently developing a five year growth plan that will include the opening up of new terminals in areas that were not originally part of the Company's service area. New and very capable management has joined the Company to oversee these changes.
The Union has been associated with NEMF for more than 20 years, a period of continuous growth for NEMF. During this time
period, there has never been a strike at NEMF, disrupting employees pay. During the 10 years I have driven for NEMF, my mileage rate has gone from 27cpm to 46cpm and I was able to earn more than $70,000.00 last year.
All along, our Union has negotiated increases in our wages every year. If there are any flaws in our work contracts, I don't blame our Union, rather I blame the workers who stand on the sidelines, never coming to meetings or participating in any way, but expecting "The Union to do it all for them".
A Union is the sum of the people who belong to it. If they do not want to make the time to get involved, they should not complain. :hide:
I am proud to be an IAM Shop Steward for a good group of drivers. I fully expect our Union to continue to represent us and be there for us, when they are needed.

Wow, good for you. So when I call the union rep. in my area and am told that a dockworker is in a seperate department then the drivers, this is okay with you?

departments

Originally started by the Teamsters, before
IAM, was the concept of separate Terminal
Contracts. Some Terminals have all the CDL
holders on one seniority list, while others have
separate seniority lists. This was set up by the workers at the Terminal, when they negotiated their first contracts. Dock workers
are a separate department, as are City Drivers and Road Drivers. If you ask if I am ok
with Dock Workers being in a separate Department from Drivers? I have to answer
yes. Also, this concept of separate departments preserves the rights of the "Dock Worker only", who would otherwise be subjected to being bumped into a layoff, if a driver with more seniority was being laid off and he wanted to work the dock. I hope this answers your question. :1036316054:

If these are actually seperate departments then why can a driver work the dock? Seperate department means seperate jobs.

If there are any flaws in our work contracts, I don't blame our Union, rather I blame the workers who stand on the sidelines, never coming to meetings or participating in any way, but expecting "The Union to do it all for them".

ganis- I agree with this part of your post. And I hope that you can get your men to support your union in its efforts to correct the flaws in your contracts....And I hope that your union wins the grievences & is able to get your laid off workers back on their jobs, with back pay.

NEMF union workers, call your business agents & ask what you can do to help in correcting the flaws in your contracts. Tell them you want strong contracts like the Teamsters have.

the first thing they can do is quit charging a $500 initiation fee. Come on give me a break $500 for absolutely no representation. The way I look at it all your doing is paying for your health benefits which is what they are gonna propose we do in the next contract anyways. This company may be union but there is absolutely no unity at all.

the first thing they can do is quit charging a $500 initiation fee. Come on give me a break $500 for absolutely no representation. The way I look at it all your doing is paying for your health benefits which is what they are gonna propose we do in the next contract anyways. This company may be union but there is absolutely no unity at all.

these are two of the big issues that i've heard the non-union expansion area drivers talk about against joining the union. the other biggie being the fact that they can't even keep eastern from pulling their loads in pittsburgh while their guys sit at home. these reasons alone are why the union, which hasn't even bothered to come to cleveland to tell their side of the story in the 7 months we've been in operation, shouldn't even waste their time. there is no interest in paying $500 for nothin.

Yes, Dock is a separate Department from the two (2) driver Departments, City and Line Haul.
A Driver can work the dock, provided everyone in the Dock Department on that shift is working. Also, the Driver must be qualified to do the Dock job (know how to drive a forklift and hold an OSHA required forklift driver's training certificate).
Dock workers cannot drive a vehicle registered over 18,000 lbs outside of Company property, without a CDL (some Terminals have step-vans to make residencial and inside deliveries and Dock Workers can be used to make those deliveries, provided all the City Drivers are working on that shift.):TR10driving03:

Last time we had contract negotiations a driver at our terminal cried like a baby and said it wasn't fair that both dock workers and drivers get the same raises because he went to school to get his cdl. So the dockworkers had to settle for .35 a year and the city drivers got .50 a year. Sad part is that driver quit 5 months after the contract perfect example of the poor unity in this company. Shevell has family involved in the union so the always bend over backwards for whatever the company wants

Dockworkers only got 35 cents and drivers got 50 cents, that part is correct. Dock workers got paid less because a driver complained it wasn't fair? That part is wrong or, at least, it's a line that was fed to you guys to placate you. The fact of the matter is, you can pick any of the continental states and search high and low, but their are very few dock-worker-only (no CDL) jobs that you can find, that pay more than $14.00/hr top rate. This Company has come to the point where they are starting to look for alternatives that can help them eliminate a Dock-only position. I hope that they find out very quickly, while they try any new ideas, that the majority of the drivers do not want to work a dock because they can make more money driving.
In the meantime, I suggest that you prepare yourself for the future and take advantage of the Company CDL school if you can. Put your time in and then you will be a free-agent. You can get a day or night driving job and be home every day if you look around.
I'm sorry if I don't sound supportive, but I don't think that there is any windfall raise coming for the dock workers, the next time around. You know, better than I do, that there is no other dock position available in your area that will pay you more money, or you would have gone already.:horse:

The fact of the matter is, you can pick any of the continental states and search high and low, but their are very few dock-worker-only (no CDL) jobs that you can find, that pay more than $14.00/hr top rate.
Check your local ABF , Roadway, Yellow, or New Penn dockworkers. I'm sure they make considerably more than $14.00 a hour.

Actually ward,abf,new penn,yellow,roadway,old dominion,estes,con-way (part time),fedex freight/fedex national (part time) all pay better!!!! Who ever said I am still there? In fact I was in management at one point and time and the union did't stand up for anyone ever. Ever article in the contract has this line at the end of it: UNDER MANAGEMENT'S DISCRETION. Therefore it eliminates the need for any contract anyways. NEMF is $400 million company and the only reason they are that big is because they are making their money right off the backs of the workers!!!!

Thank you for sending me the rates of pay for Roadway's dockworkers. Last time I checked, Roadway, Yellow, New Penn, Holland
and ABF were all Teamster organized jobs. Also, last time I checked, in order to get a job working the dock at any of these Teamster organized Carriers, you had to have a CDL, in case you were ordered to drive a truck. If this is not true, please tell me what
Roadway Terminal/Terminals I can send the NEMF Dock workers to for a job, they will all be happy to sign on for a 4 or more dollar/hr. raise.

from what i understand, there are two types of dock worker at the teamster nmfa companies. there is dock worker, and that's all you do. then there is driver/dockworker combo. as to what each terminal has, that depends on the terminal and the local union. i know that the roadway terminal in akron,oh has dock only, as i belive yellow does too. so you'd have to check with each company in your area for details.

Just to confirm this is not all about bashing NEMF I will say this. Among most of the regional carriers ie: pitt ohio, duie pyle, hess trucking, and most other northeast regional carriers whoever they may be. Nemf does have generally better pay rates, better insurance, and better retirement then most competitors. I feel the way I do based on the sheer size of NEMF now and based on their aspirations of growing into a much larger company. If you want to play with the big boys you should pay with the big boys.

OK. So what you're saying that certain Terminal have Dock only jobs, no CDL required? If that's the case, it would only be break-bulk Terminals, places where there is activity on the dock 24 hours a day.
I know that there are no Teamster dock jobs without a CDL in MD, DE, NJ, NY, PA, CT, RI, NH, VT, MA and ME. Including the Break-Bulks. However, all the Dock workers in those states can always move to Akron, OH; if they really want to move up, right?
Of course I'm being ridiculous! Just as ridiculous as your argument. :hysterical: