Yellow | Increase In Accidents

Hoosierky

Enjoying Life Everyday!
Credits
A posting at the terminal stated that Roadway has had an increase of 20% in accidents from last year to this year.

What do you think the reason is...

1) Company wanting us to drive 100 miles in 1 hour with a 61 mph truck.

2) The new crop of drivers

3) greediness almongst a minority of us.

Your the captain of the ship, for any reason you feel unsafe pull over. Greed,and other drivers that you have no control are factors also. The increase in traffic on interstates plus since merge of yellow/roadway we've been running single roads. Maybe company should look at my last statement carefully! Spend $100 to save $15 on tolls a joke.

Come on guys you know it's all the drivers fault. The corp could not have any influence in this at all. I've seen linehaul guys get third degree for taking lunch on way to my term because the load had time/crit on it. Forget that it set in breakbulk waiting for just one more. Stupid drivers someday we gonna figure out how to do this without them.:duh:

thegr8one said:
Your the captain of the ship, for any reason you feel unsafe pull over. Greed,and other drivers that you have no control are factors also. The increase in traffic on interstates plus since merge of yellow/roadway we've been running single roads. Maybe company should look at my last statement carefully! Spend $100 to save $15 on tolls a joke.
Or better yet having to be on glorified extra boards at 120 (Southwest-New England, and Extra board) with 10 years plus senority with the company! Why give a Driver some sort of a life when you can treat them like SCUM on a trash board Right Roadway?
All this because The V.P. Labor (Pete H.) Got burned on a grevance out of Cincinaiti about meet & turns.
Hey Peteie boy! News Flash! You can't get Drivers as it is now, Why do you keep F&%#ing with the ones you have left?
If it were not for the pension I would have told these arrogant bastards to go F%#& themselves long ago!
Remember that Boys when the Contract comes around next time! STICK IT TO THESE BASTARDS! AND STICK IT TO THEM HARD!

I would wager a large cup of coffee that accidents have increased for all the carriers. Inexperienced drivers and a faulty training system overall. Any other trade you would have to serve an appreticeship. I know that's not considered feasible by companies that influence FMCA's decisions but it should be.

I hope the company don't learn the hard way. I see it all the time the fuss to get a driver to run and the driver can't do it legal and they push to get them to go in a way to cover the butt. And if something were to happen we all know who will get the brunt of it. The Driver. But in todays law suite society the company will still be on the hook. I don't even care if it is Driver error. The lawyers want to get to the money. And they will.

Back when I started with Yellow....you had to have 2 years experience with double trailers, or they would not even take your application.....19 years later....they seem to have lowered their standards......when you do that, something (acciedents) has to go up!.....

Check out #19 & #20.....

#19 Has one current, valid Class A Commercial Drivers License (CDL) with requisite endorsements (Doubles/Triples, HAZMAT).
#20 Has a minimum of one year’s recent driving experience as an over-the-road driver, operating similar equipment over similar terrains and road conditions for long distances in various traffic and weather conditions, or has graduated from a Company-approved training program.......

https://www.myyellow.com/dynamic/services/content/aboutyellow/employee_careers/usunion/index.html

Its all about service.
Companies don't hold inventories anymore.
Everyone wants their LTL freight at their dock ASAP.

But the deal with any accident,the cost with lose of equipment,loads,injury,or worse death,can rub out a lot of revenue.

So heres what I say, whenever my TM,or dispatcher wants me to do something I feel is unsafe,because there may of been a delay in operations.
I look them in the face,or say on the phone.
Its faster to go slower,than it is to make out an accident report.

As much as they throw me their dagger eyes,or I hear a short silence on the line,no one has ever disagreed with me.

This has all come with my 43 years of experence in the LTL trucking industry.

Never ever fear anyone in management.
We are the one behind the wheel, its up to our judgement on what we think is safe regardless of their tight freight lanes.

Whenever anything negative happens, most if not all the blame goes to the driver.
We are the ones that worked for our CDL's,and we are also the ones that have to deal with any error in judgement we make.

Its better to be safe than to fear management,doing something unsafe.

Also you should know when your TM loves you for breaking the rules for them.
Let something bad happen this is the time,they don't even want to know your name.

It's easy for us grey hairs to tell management whose driving the rig but the poor kids are more apt to be intimidated. Then theres the ones who are afraid they won't get thier attaboy. And the saftey mans like a diaper, there to cover companys arse when some driver gets in some crap. :poster_oops: There I go again showin my attitude:14:

Well thats the ones we older drivers have to take to one side,and clue them in on the real world.
We are just spokes in a wheel.
The hub is the company all of the workers are the spokes,the rim is the customers.
A wheel can operate ok with a few missing spokes but won't work without the hub,or the rim.
We are just numbers to our company,with many numbers waiting to take our place.

We drive the truck,its up to us to do it safe,if you don't think you can be safe,don't do it.
Its just that simple.
Only a split second of bad judgement on our part.
Can bring a life time of regret.

Sorry to Chime in here but i have a question to you guys driving, we load deck trailers which i beleive changes the center of gravity on the trailers because the freight weight is distributed on the walls and not on the floor kinda making the trailer top heavy has anyone noticed any difference in deck trailers
per say to the regular non decks when it comes to stability???

Chicago Roadway said:
Sorry to Chime in here but i have a question to you guys driving, we load deck trailers which i beleive changes the center of gravity on the trailers because the freight weight is distributed on the walls and not on the floor kinda making the trailer top heavy has anyone noticed any difference in deck trailers
per say to the regular non decks when it comes to stability???
The way you guys load them at 309 they do...LOL Just kidding man. Been my experience that mostly light frieght goes on the decks so I have never felt a difference my self. I now load them but have run them down the road also and in my opinion they make no difference.:redneck:

our 153 drivers dont seem to complain about being rushed. some of the drivers out of the south stop at 153 and they sometimes feel they have been pushed and complain about the company being on them for not getting to 135

Did it say accidents over all or accidents by road drivers, city drivers have it tough in todays driving conditions could have something to do with it also was it 20% increase of chargeable

CHICAGO ROADWAY,long rolls or rugs not locked in place has caused a few roll overs I know of .It is to get them out of the way loading but it hell on a sharp curve....