Indiana-Crash kills 5 from university

SevenOfNine

TB Lurker
Credits
MARION, Ind. -- A semitrailer truck crashed through an I-69 median and collided with a Taylor University van Wednesday night, killing five people and injuring five others, police said.

The collision happened about two miles north of the Marion exit, Exit 64, in Grant County,

A preliminary investigation showed the northbound semi drove through the median into the southbound lanes about 8 p.m., colliding with the passenger van about midway between Fort Wayne and Indianapolis. The collision peeled open the side of the van, and several of the occupants were ejected, he said.
story link

You never know when you wake up every morning if it could be your last day of our lives.
Its bad enough that anyone has to die in an accident but when its young people its all the more bad as they haven't had much chance to meet what ever goals they may have of had.
Better to be thankful for every day ,and pray that as drivers we can stay focused on our jobs.
Just a split second of destraction could mean life or death.

May the Lord direct your path.

Ever time i clock out at work iam glad i made it another day . So many times i think to my self dam that could of been me.or am glad that noone was on my side because i drafted off the lane a little bit.

Truck driver in fatal crash had poor driving record

What they do know is a northbound semi hauling baking flour driven by Robert Spencer of Michigan careened across the median and into the oncoming university van. The impact peeled away the van's protective siding. Several passengers were ejected. Both drivers were belted in.

"They were using restraints. It will probably and it may not ever be determined whether the seven remaining passengers in the van were wearing seatbelts because of the damage and severity," said Russell.

Spencer worked for Mike Brooks, Incorporated out of Knoxville, Iowa. The company refused to comment.

But 13 Investigates found Spencer has five traffic related infractions on his driving record at the Michigan Department of Motor Vehicles, including three for disobeying traffic controls while driving his personal vehicle. His license was suspended for a day for failing to pay a ticket in 1999.

Two infractions are for speeding in a big rig - doing 65 in a 55 mile per hour zone. The Michigan Secretary of State sent a status letter last May alerting Spencer that he had five points on his driving record and encouraging careful travel.

State law requires drug and alcohol testing in accidents involving serious injury. But investigators say there's no indication of either at this time.

Thanks for the newspaper link Pompano.
I printed it out to put in our drivers room.
For a reminder for all of us to stay focused on being rested before driving our big rigs.