SAIA | Indianapolis

Bastardly

TB Lurker
Credits
Let me start by saying that I am new to this forum, though I have been lurking for a little while.

I have been thinking about trying to get on as a line driver in Indianapolis and wanted to see if you guys had any input on what it is like there.

also I have been reading as much as I can about it, I have noticed a bunch of, and I could be wrong, recent management changes throughout the region - is this something I should be conserened about

All i can tell you is a lot of the southern drivers like Saia, northern drivers have complaints. Thats a common theme on this board. If there is indeed management changes going on up there, its probably a sign that corporate is trying to clean things up. Ive only been through the Indy terminal once, and Chicago a few times so I dont really have anything more insightful than that.

I have been through IND many times and I would say it is one of the more favorable terminals up north. They are busy and they are building/buying a new bigger terminal within a year so it's probably a good time to get on. I'm not sure if you've seen their terminal but it is cramped to say the least. They're leasing the space next door for added trailer parking which helps. They have good runs out of there (STL turns, Charlotte meet-n-turns, a lot of Nashville turns) that you would be able to get in the long run, I'm pretty sure you'll be doing system work or scheduled puddle-jumps to start out though. The guy in charge of linehaul at night is a no-nonsense kind of guy which I like. The guy that used to be in charge of the night dock/linehaul was an ******* but he's at Dohrn now so if you read any of the old threads about there being an ******* there dont fret :D

I know STL definitely needs a new barn. Quite a few of our yards are busting at the seems!

STL is quickly replacing IND as the terminal with the worst yard. You can't even IDLE through that mess of potholes without giving yourself whiplash.

They are supposedly building a new terminal up in St Peters right off 270 near Dayton's terminal. Supposed to be done by the end of this year. Not sure what the plans are for IND though.

I still talk to my old meet guy who's out of Indy. I have never heard him say nothing but good things about the new TM there. He has mentioned before that they have 1 or 2 open runs that aren't filled so if hired on you'll get to skip the running system part. That alone would make me tell anyone to go for it. Good luck!

thanks for all the info, I have not seen the terminal except from the pictures on google maps... hell I haven't even been to Indianapolis in maybe 20 years, I am just being priced out of where I am now and need to relocate. Indianapolis appears to be one of the reships in the region which would usually mean that it is easier to get on & has better runs than the smaller terminals though most of them in the region appear to have open spots right now, at least according to the 3rd party job websites that I have see list Saia job postings & there also seems to be a decent recruiting drive going out there

I'm not worried about having to be a system driver, I already expected that to be the case... hell possibly even the choice I make, though I think that if I really wanted to run system I would probably go to Dallas or Memphis.... full disclosure, I am already a Saia line driver, just from another region